* Starting off where I finished the last time

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
YorkieF
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Starting off where I finished the last time

Post by YorkieF »

Hi All,
Is there anyway of opening FH6 where I was before I closed it down? At the mo, it always goes back to my focus record and I've got to try and think of where I was. - my memory isn't the best. :(

Many thanks
YorkieF
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Starting off where I finished the last time

Post by tatewise »

Welcome.
Yes, checkout the suggestions in how_to:remember_current_records_being_updated|> Remember Current Records being Updated.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

One way is to change the File Root BEFORE you exit to the current person. On the Focus Window right click and select "Set As File Root"

Another option is the Create Individual Shortcut plugin which you can use to create shortcuts on your desktop to any person. you can add it to the tools menu and simply run it before you shut down FH.

There is a wish list item for FH to always remember the last person, which can be found here:
https://www.fhug.org.uk/wishlist/wldisp ... lwlref=255
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Opps snap Mike
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Not quite snap, as there are also the Records Window Updated Column and Named Lists options.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

If you do use the Make File Root option, before clicking Make File Root, make a note of the ID of the person who is the real file root (mine’s easy, it is number 1 :D ). Then, when you want to go back to real root, go to Records Window, and enter the number in the ID box, click OK and you’re there!
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
YorkieF
Gold

Post by YorkieF »

cor, blimey! loads of answers within minutes. Many thanks to all of you. :)
YorkieF
Gold

Post by YorkieF »

Hi Jane
I've just run the plugin and it's great - Ideal! Now all I've got to do is migrate all the media from FMP :roll:

Thanks
YorkieF
davidm_uk
Megastar

Post by davidm_uk »

Another alternative, that I've been using for a while now, is to create a flag (say GoTo) which I can set for individuals I'm currently working on. I mostly work from diagrams, so I use the Edit...Record Flags menu to set or remove the flags. It's easy to select a number of individuals in the diagram and set or clear the flag in one go, for example if I'm working on a family. In that Edit...Record Flags window use New to create the new flag for the first time.

Then in the Individual Records window add a column to display that flag: right click the header row of the window, select configure columns, in the left pane scroll down to the flags (they are near the bottom of the list), select the new GoTo flag and click the > symbol to add it to the right pane. Select it in that pane and use the up arrow at the bottom of the pane to move that item to near the top (this ensures that you can always see it in the Records window). Then click OK.

From then on it's simply a case of clicking on that column heading to bring all of the records with that flag set to the top of the list.

It just gives me a bit more control than relying on the record date.

Just another option that might suit some users.
David Miller - researching Miller, Hare, Walker, Bright (mostly Herts, Beds, Dorset and London)
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Yet another method, if you work with diagrams, is to right-click on the individual in the diagram and select Mark. (The colour for marked boxes can be set in Diagram Options > General tab > Sundry Colours.) Then use Diagram > Save Diagram As > Family Historian Chart. Next time you open FH, use View > Saved Charts to open the chart and the marked box will show up. Clicking on the box will open the Property Box for the individual.
Lorna