* One Drive and Family Historian

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
waltonnz
Diamond
Family Historian: V6

One Drive and Family Historian

Post by waltonnz »

I emailed this problem to the User group, but now we no longer get a Newsletter, I didn't receive any response. Can anyone help me please.

I store my FH projects in OneDrive. Usually to open a project I open FH and then select the project I want to open from the Project window. Today I was at someone else's computer and wanted to open a project. They had FH installed. I went online and logged into OneDrive and found my FH databases. I found that the Project file icon was just plain white and when I clicked on it the only option I got was to Download. I clicked on this and was then given the option to Open or Save. I chose Open and FH opened for me, but then message came up saying Unable to Open as the file path wasn't found. So then I tried the Gedcom file which was also just white. I got the same Download option and it did open, but in Notepad.

Back at my own computer I tried again and the same thing happened. Then I went to the Onedrive folder on my computer and tried opening the project from there - no problem and the icon was coloured, not plain white. As I'm storing my projects in OneDrive for safety, I'm concerned that, if anything happens to my computer, I can't open my files from online. Can someone please tell me what I should do.
Thank you
Patricia
BobWard
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: One Drive and Family Historian

Post by BobWard »

All of my backups go to 3 external hard drives. My working copy of my Project file resides on my computer’s hard drive, and, gets backed up to my external hard drives on a nearly daily basis. I would never trust an Internet storage site for keeping my working copy of my FH project file, or, as a backup location. You have very little to no control over the security of data that is sent to a cloud-based data storage site.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

waltonnz wrote:I emailed this problem to the User group, but now we no longer get a Newsletter, I didn't receive any response. Can anyone help me please.
Just FYI, the FH mailing list and the Newsletter from this site are completely different (and independent) things. I haven't seen your query show up on the mailing list, so perhaps the list isn't working (again).
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

You sent to the FHU list with a different email to the one you are signed up with, so your mail was blocked.

If you want to bring a project down to another computer you need to bring down the WHOLE Project folder not just the project file.

In Dropbox you can easily do that, but I don't use One Drive, but there are some instructions for downloading a folder here:

https://support.office.com/en-ie/articl ... 2e8fa5df05

Remember you will need to upzip the folder once it's downloaded.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Tony Jones
Diamond

Post by Tony Jones »

BobWard wrote:All of my backups go to 3 external hard drives. My working copy of my Project file resides on my computer’s hard drive, and, gets backed up to my external hard drives on a nearly daily basis. I would never trust an Internet storage site for keeping my working copy of my FH project file, or, as a backup location. You have very little to no control over the security of data that is sent to a cloud-based data storage site.
Not sure what the security risks are - yes you have little 'control' but I don't see Microsoft wanting to steal my Family Tree! I keep all my key files backed up via a NAS which then copies off to OneDrive (including all my photos and music collection). I then also out some key items into Amazon Glacier storage.

Anyhow, isn't this a little off topic?
Using an iMac Ventura Intel via Parallels v19 / Win 10 64-bit
DavidNewton
Superstar

Post by DavidNewton »

(Just speculating here.) Going back to the opening post, my impression is that your project is stored in the local copy of OneDrive. If that is the case then your project folder is local, with a synchronised online copy, and all folder and file references in your project refer to the local copy. When you download a project to another computer these references will not normally work and you will get a file/folder not found message.

OneDrive does not recognize file types local to your computer and does not have access to the icons stored in your executables hence the white icons.

If you have the misfortune to lose your local copies due to a computer problem then when you replace the computer you need to download/install the OneDrive app, log into your account, and use the app to re-synchronize your new local folder with the your online Onedrive folder. You will then have to direct your copy of FH to the project folder.

David
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

There are a few myths and misunderstanding in this thread.
  1. OneDrive risks see fhugdownloads:contents:microsoft_skydrive|> Utility ~ Microsoft OneDrive (SkyDrive).
    Files are encrypted in transit, but not in the Microsoft servers. However, the privacy risks are minimal.
    Some risks such as fire & flood will destroy all your local backup copies, but OneDrive will still exist.
  2. OneDrive files typically exist in the OneDrive online servers, and locally in each PC they synchronise with.
    The online files are only opened by online apps that only exist for the most popular file types (DOCX, XLSX, JPG, PDF, etc)
    Other files such as those in FH Projects must be downloaded or synchronised into the local PC folder.
  3. File Path Links in FH Projects can survive migrating from PC to PC if a few basic rules are followed.
    Media File Links within Projects use relative file paths for Media within the Media folder so are OK.
    The File Links more at risk are those associated with Diagram box Icons and inserted Pictures.
    The Icons in the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Icons\ folder use relative file paths so are OK.
    All other File Links should refer to C:\Users\Public\... that exists on all PC so migrate OK.
  4. FHU Mailing List on Rootsweb appears to be offline again.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

One thing to bear in mind is the security of the data on any cloud storage particularly if you are responsible with the new GDPR law that comes in on the 25th.

See a continuation of GDPR discussion in General Data Protection Regulation (15935) thread.
waltonnz
Diamond

Post by waltonnz »

BobWard wrote:All of my backups go to 3 external hard drives. My working copy of my Project file resides on my computer’s hard drive, and, gets backed up to my external hard drives on a nearly daily basis. I would never trust an Internet storage site for keeping my working copy of my FH project file, or, as a backup location. You have very little to no control over the security of data that is sent to a cloud-based data storage site.
Thank you for your response. I do keep my databases backed up to external hard drives and another computer in my home, but that doesn't help me if I want to access the database from another place, nor if my house takes fire and I lose all my backups. I was just wanting to know how to restore my database from OneDrive online.
waltonnz
Diamond

Post by waltonnz »

Jane wrote:You sent to the FHU list with a different email to the one you are signed up with, so your mail was blocked.

If you want to bring a project down to another computer you need to bring down the WHOLE Project folder not just the project file.

In Dropbox you can easily do that, but I don't use One Drive, but there are some instructions for downloading a folder here:

https://support.office.com/en-ie/articl ... 2e8fa5df05

Remember you will need to upzip the folder once it's downloaded.
Thank you Jane, that is very useful information. I don't recall where I emailed from; maybe it was the other computer. Do I take it then that the email help is still working as before? I thought I received an email to say it wasn't and I don't recall getting any FHUG emails recently although I did receive one today about active discussion topics in the forums.
I take it then that there is no way just to open a FH project or even just the gedcom file on another computer without downloading the whole project to the other computer. That would be fine in the event the computer failed and I had to download to a new one. But, it wouldn't work just to work on a project from another computer. I'm wondering if one could copy the project onto a memory stick and open in on another computer from there.
waltonnz
Diamond

Post by waltonnz »

DavidNewton wrote:(Just speculating here.) Going back to the opening post, my impression is that your project is stored in the local copy of OneDrive. If that is the case then your project folder is local, with a synchronised online copy, and all folder and file references in your project refer to the local copy. When you download a project to another computer these references will not normally work and you will get a file/folder not found message.

OneDrive does not recognize file types local to your computer and does not have access to the icons stored in your executables hence the white icons.

If you have the misfortune to lose your local copies due to a computer problem then when you replace the computer you need to download/install the OneDrive app, log into your account, and use the app to re-synchronize your new local folder with the your online Onedrive folder. You will then have to direct your copy of FH to the project folder.

David
Thank you, but I'm finding this somewhat confusing. My project is stored in the OneDrive folder on my computer (is this what you mean by local folder) which automatically uploads it to OneDrive online. All my photos are stored there also. When I try to access them from OneDrive online, I don'thave a problem. They are all there and the file types are recognised as jpgs.
waltonnz
Diamond

Post by waltonnz »

tatewise wrote:There are a few myths and misunderstanding in this thread.
  1. OneDrive risks see fhugdownloads:contents:microsoft_skydrive|> Utility ~ Microsoft OneDrive (SkyDrive).
    Files are encrypted in transit, but not in the Microsoft servers. However, the privacy risks are minimal.
    Some risks such as fire & flood will destroy all your local backup copies, but OneDrive will still exist.
  2. OneDrive files typically exist in the OneDrive online servers, and locally in each PC they synchronise with.
    The online files are only opened by online apps that only exist for the most popular file types (DOCX, XLSX, JPG, PDF, etc)
    Other files such as those in FH Projects must be downloaded or synchronised into the local PC folder.
  3. File Path Links in FH Projects can survive migrating from PC to PC if a few basic rules are followed.
    Media File Links within Projects use relative file paths for Media within the Media folder so are OK.
    The File Links more at risk are those associated with Diagram box Icons and inserted Pictures.
    The Icons in the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\Icons\ folder use relative file paths so are OK.
    All other File Links should refer to C:\Users\Public\... that exists on all PC so migrate OK.
  4. FHU Mailing List on Rootsweb appears to be offline again.
Thank you. That was extremely helpful. Just a bit confused with the 3rd para about migrating to another computer.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The 3rd paragraph is a brief summary of the issues of migrating FH Projects from PC to PC.

They are in addition to whatever method is used to transfer all the files themselves.
The files can be transferred on a USB memory stick or by synchronising with OneDrive.
But all the FH Project files must exist locally in folders on the destination PC, not online in the cloud.
Just like they do in the local OneDrive folder on your current PC, as opposed to online in OneDrive servers.

Since you appear to have another PC, you could experiment with migrating FH to that PC.
The how_to:family_historian_migration_guide|> Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide explains the process in detail.
One of the more important steps is to ensure Media File Links are portable from PC to PC.
Another major step is migrating all FH preferences & customisations from PC to PC.
(If migrating to a friend's PC, take care not to disrupt their FH settings, by using the Backup and Restore FH Settings Plugin first and Restore after.)

If you can, it is a worthwhile exercise, to become familiar with what is involved when (not if) your PC dies.
waltonnz
Diamond

Post by waltonnz »

tatewise wrote:The 3rd paragraph is a brief summary of the issues of migrating FH Projects from PC to PC.

They are in addition to whatever method is used to transfer all the files themselves.
The files can be transferred on a USB memory stick or by synchronising with OneDrive.
But all the FH Project files must exist locally in folders on the destination PC, not online in the cloud.
Just like they do in the local OneDrive folder on your current PC, as opposed to online in OneDrive servers.

Since you appear to have another PC, you could experiment with migrating FH to that PC.
The how_to:family_historian_migration_guide|> Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide explains the process in detail.
One of the more important steps is to ensure Media File Links are portable from PC to PC.
Another major step is migrating all FH preferences & customisations from PC to PC.
(If migrating to a friend's PC, take care not to disrupt their FH settings, by using the Backup and Restore FH Settings Plugin first and Restore after.)

If you can, it is a worthwhile exercise, to become familiar with what is involved when (not if) your PC dies.
Thank you so much for that very useful information. I don't think I have any media file links as I always add the media to my project. I will do as you suggest and experiment using the link you have provided as my guide.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If you have added Media to your Project then you most definitely will have Media record File Links.

However, if you added those Media files to the Project internal Media folder, then those File Links should migrate from PC to PC without any problems.

Have you added Icons to Diagram boxes, or inserted Pictures into any Diagrams?
If so, then those File Links may pose a problem.
waltonnz
Diamond

Post by waltonnz »

tatewise wrote:If you have added Media to your Project then you most definitely will have Media record File Links.

However, if you added those Media files to the Project internal Media folder, then those File Links should migrate from PC to PC without any problems.

Have you added Icons to Diagram boxes, or inserted Pictures into any Diagrams?
If so, then those File Links may pose a problem.
Yes, I add the media to the Project Media folder so that should be ok. I'm not sure what you mean about adding icons to diagram boxes or inserted pictures into diagrams. When I create descendant or ancestor charts, if those persons have a picture, then it is displayed.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If you don't understand about adding Icons or Pictures to Diagrams then you probably have not used those features, so have nothing to worry about.

Anyway the Backup and Restore FH Settings Plugin identifies such issues and instructs how to reconcile them.