* Size of family Historian file

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Dufferoonie
Platinum
Family Historian: V6.2

Size of family Historian file

Post by Dufferoonie »

Could you advise me where I can find out the size of my family tree.

I would like to save to a portable USB stick but need to ensure I purchase one which has sufficient space.

Thank you

Dufferoonie
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Size of family Historian file

Post by tatewise »

That partly depends on what you mean by your family tree.
I suspect you really mean your FH Project including GEDCOM file and all linked Media image files, etc.
Also I guess the reason for saving it to a portable USB stick is to create a Backup copy.

So, use File > Backup/Restore > Full Backup and carefully note which folder the FH Project Backup...zip file is saved to.

Then use Windows File Explorer to navigate to that folder, and locate that same FH Project Backup...zip file.
If you have Details View selected then its file Size will be shown in the right-hand column.
Otherwise, right-click the filename and choose Properties to discover its Size.

If my original guesses are wrong then please explain what you are hoping to achieve.

Furthermore, if you have customised anything such as Diagrams, Reports, Queries, Property Box, Records Window Columns, etc, then you need to Backup those too by using the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings Plugin.

See glossary:backup_and_recovery|> Backup and Recovery for more details, which is a topic within how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Dufferoonie
Platinum
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Size of family Historian file

Post by Dufferoonie »

Yes, you were correct in assuming it was FH project with all media files.

Thanks will follow directions .
Kind regards
Dufferoonie