* Lost Gedcom Files

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
iant44
Silver
Family Historian: V6

Lost Gedcom Files

Post by iant44 »

Was working on my main file and needed to transfer some photos. Went into Pictures high lighted photos required and returned to my main file and it was not registering. Exited from programme and reloaded Family Historian, the main file with all my family history was missing from the Project window only the Example remained.
I uploaded my main backup file which brought up all my facts and figures apart from photographs that had been entered , in their place was a black square looking like an envelope. Since this mishap I cannot seem to load any further photos on the system.
Can anyone suggest if
a - I can find my lost/deleted main file and re load, and,
b - I have found 2 photos on one page but the rest are " envelopes" can anyone tell me what these are and can the photos be reclaimed?
Many thanks in anicipation
jimlad68
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Lost Gedcom Files

Post by jimlad68 »

not sure if this will help, but might be a starting point.

Whenever I "lose/misplace" a file I search my system with ultrasearch (for files much much faster than windows file explorer)
https://www.jam-software.de/ultrasearch/?language=EN
also here for automatic updates:
https://www.ugmfree.it/SyMenuSuiteSPS.aspx

In your case search on *.ged or image file extensions.

You might like to check out a backup, restore to a new name and compare that.

Also check your recycle bin.
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Post by tatewise »

I have moved this to the FH General Usage Forum as the User Group Forum is for questions about this FHUG website.

It helps with these corruption problems to be as specific as possible about what you were doing.
When highlighting photos, were you using the FH Add > Pictures command?
Is your File > Project Window > Location the default Documents > Family Historian Projects folder?
Is your 'main backup file' a Small, Medium, or Large FH Backup, or something else?
How did you 'upload' that backup file?
If it is an FH Backup then you must use File > Backup/Restore > Restore Backup.

The blank X envelope indicates that the file path to each Media image file is broken.
i.e. The image files are NOT where FH expects them to be.
Do you usually keep Media files within the Project's own Media folder, or externally?

I suspect you may not have used File > Backup/Restore > Restore Backup to restore the backup, and if you just copied the backup ZIP file, then that has the symptoms you describe.

Sometimes, the main GEDCOM file is not saved correctly, and results in a TMP file being created deep within the Project folder structure. Because it is a TMP file and not a GED file, and has a different filename, any file search tool will not find it. Depending on the answers to ALL the above questions, that may be another avenue to explore.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
iant44
Silver

Post by iant44 »

Thanks jimlad88 and tatewise for both of your prompt replies and advice in relation to my problem.
It's quite a lot to take at the moment being a " new boy on the block", so I'll follow both of your instructions and post a further reply once I've checked the results.
Once again very many thanks for your advice it is very much appreciated, perhaps now I can solve 1 or 2 problems .
As I said earlier, being a new subscriber, I was't sure where to post or to which forum to use.
iant44
Silver

Post by iant44 »

jimlad68 - Jim, just to refer to my previous post - I followed first the simpliest of your post in that I checked my recycle bin. Hidden deep inside I found my "deleted file". I restored the into FH project and it restored complete with photos

tatewise - Mike thank you for your detailed explanation. I've copied your notes for further reference, As you may have read above, I managed to restore the "lost" file in full with photos. I think that you are also right in that I may have copied the backup ZIP file.
Many thanks to you both for your time and invaluable help.