* Associated People

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Associated People

Post by E Wilcock »

Many apologies if there is a User group help topic on this but I cant find it.
I have read the official fh help but would like further guidance on Associates.

I listed the Chairman of a Committee and added as associates of hers, the other women involved.
What is the easiest way to retrieve this list of associates?

I had assumed I could go to one of the other names and the association would link them both ways? But it seemed not to.
Does one have to enter each association twice, i.e. once for each person?

I realise that I could have attached them all to the same source or citation. But I was interested in which people knew each other and this seemed a good way of recording that.
PeterR
Megastar

Re: Associated People

Post by PeterR »

Retrieving the list of associates would be easy if they were all linked to the same Source; this would also have the advantage that the Source (or another record linked to it) would explain the connection between them.

Otherwise, you would have to enter the Associated-Person link twice, once in each direction, and each time you would have to find a way to indicate the nature of the relationship.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Peter is correct, the Associated Person link is one-way, so has to be entered from other person to get both-way linkage.

Unfortunately, the Associated Person details are not well supported in the Property Box, Diagrams or Reports.
They need to be customised into each of those features to get them displayed.
See fhugdownloads:contents:property_box_tabs_associated_persons|> Property Box Tabs: Associated Persons.

Also, many other genealogy products don't support Associated Person links at all, even though Standard GEDCOM.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you that is very useful. Clearly I did everything right. And was using associates to replace my use of witnesses.
In this case I did eventually link the names to a source.
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

Apart from AS and manual creation, I use plugin 'Create a 2-way Association' (from FHUG DavidNewton20140720) at 2-way associations (11338)

For display I used:
- The Associations tab for the Property Box (as mentioned by Mike earlier) as in fhugdownloads:contents:property_box_tabs_associated_persons|> Property Box Tabs: Associated Persons
- An Individual query to show associations with columns for %INDI.ASSO[1]>%, %INDI.ASSO[2]>%, etc
- and the ALL tab.

I use ASSOciations rather than witness due to their theoretical greater Gedom portability, however, in practice ASSOciations are probably less well catered for generally (other programs and even FH reports). Ancestral sources also caters for ASSOCiations. The main extra place I have used them for are probates/wills etc.

To me the following should be the best solution: Theoretically if a method 1 source is used and people/facts are tied to it, ASSOciations (even witnesses) are not required as the source is the 'connector'. The problem is the reporting system. As far as I can gather, FH (like other software) does not produce a report showing multiple individuals connections via multiple sources; see this fairly recent topic Associated Person feature (15065).
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

It is hardly surprising that I cant beta test the upcoming version as I still cant work the existing one.
Please remind me how to Associate two people. Again it isnt in the index to the handbook.
I am entering people mentioned in an autobiography. Thus all share the same source. However some are close friends and some not known personally.
I want to associate the author with his friends some of whom have complicated careers of their own but cant remember how to do this.
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

see my comment before yours
by jimlad68 » 20 Mar 2018 11:03

otherwise I think manually it is via All tab, r click on the name > add misc > add associated person
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68