*Living individuals in a diagram

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
LizzieA
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Living individuals in a diagram

Postby LizzieA » 10 Mar 2018 15:54

I would like to send a pdf All Relatives Diagram to a distant cousin of my husband's. but without revealing any information about living relatives, other than the name of my husband who will be the root person. What I would really like is to be able to display text boxes for these people with something like the word 'Living' in the box in place of names, dates etc.

I have already set a living flag against the relevant people in my file and I have read the appropriate chapters in the 'Getting the most from FH6 Guide'; in Chapter 9 there is a paragraph entitled 'Override Text' which seems to be describing what I want, but I still can't see what I need to do to achieve it.

I have searched this forum and can see that similar questions were asked a couple of years ago but I'm not clear as to whether I need to create a new text scheme or edit an existing one. I get the impression that it isn't a straightforward process but if someone could give me step by step instructions, I reckon I could manage to do it.

Lizzie

LornaCraig
Megastar

Re: Living individuals in a diagram

Postby LornaCraig » 10 Mar 2018 20:11

Hi Lizzie,

I don't have a copy of the V6 book so I don't know what is recommended in the section you mention, but this is how I would go about it:

With your diagram open, use Diagram > Options > Text tab. The text scheme you are using will be highlighted in the list. Click the Clone button on the right to create a copy and give it a new name. You can now work on the new scheme without risking spoiling your regular scheme if things go wrong.

With the new scheme selected in the list, click Edit. In the right hand pane of the Edit Text Scheme window is a list of all the items in the scheme. You want to display those items only for people who do NOT have the Living flag set. (Apart from your husband whose name you want to show – see below.) So select each item in turn and click Edit just below the list. In the lower right of the next window tick the Flag Condition box. Then select the Living flag and not set. Click OK. You can see the effect on the diagram by clicking the Apply button after each change.

To display the word Living in the boxes of those with the Living flag you need to add a new line. In the left hand pane of the Edit Text Scheme window select <Custom Item>, then click the > symbol in the middle. In the next window in the Template field enter the word Living. Then set the Flag condition so that the Living flag must be set.

When all items are finished click OK again to close the Edit Text Scheme window.

Assuming your husband has the Living flag set this will have removed his name as well as everything else. To get his name to show, set a new flag on him. Then in the Edit Text Scheme dialog click on the name item in the right hand panel and then click Clone Line. Now on the new cloned line click Edit and change the Flag condition so that your husband’s flag is set. This extra line will display your husband’s name.
Lorna

tatewise
Megastar

Postby tatewise » 10 Mar 2018 20:36

Just to complete the picture, I suspect Chapter 9 in both the V5 & V6 Book are very similar.
The V5 Book in Chapter 9 also mentions Override Text and what it describes is the method that Lorna has explained.

An alternative approach would involve exporting the GEDCOM file, and applying the Clean Living Persons Plugin, which has many options for privatising/removing the details of Living people, one of which is to replace their name with the word Private and remove various categories of data such as the facts. It also allows the children and spouses of Living people to be similarly treated, even though they are deceased. Finally you would add the Name of your husband back, and produce the Diagram.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history.

LizzieA
Gold

Postby LizzieA » 10 Mar 2018 21:07

Many thanks to both Lorna and Mike for such excellent and clear instructions!

Lizzie

sago_palm43

Postby sago_palm43 » 11 Sep 2018 23:17

The reference plugin does what it says but I would like to just create a custom family group sheet and a custom descendant diagram that shows just names for living or private individuals. How to handle a living person with deceased spouse or deceased child would be a nice option.

I would prefer not to create a new gedcom every time a want to generate a new diagram or report.

sago_palm43

Postby sago_palm43 » 12 Sep 2018 03:14

Sorry for my post. The search results sent me to the third post in this thread and I did not scroll up to see what was before it. The second post works great for diagrams. Now to see what can be done for group sheets.

tatewise
Megastar

Postby tatewise » 12 Sep 2018 10:10

Regarding any Report checkout the Report > Options > Privacy tab and use the Private and Living flags appropriately.

You say "How to handle a living person with deceased spouse or deceased child would be a nice option." but don't explain what you want that option to do.
The Clean Living Persons Plugin in section 2) deals with a spouse or parent of each person.

sago_palm43

Postby sago_palm43 » 13 Sep 2018 04:29

By "How to handle a living person with deceased spouse or deceased child would be a nice option", I am thinking about my late first wife whose mother is still alive. If I follow the instructions in the second post, everything works as requested and no details are shown for living individuals, only for the deceased. How would I not display the living person and ALL her descendants (the entire sub-tree with her as root)?

However, i found another issue, if I specified BOTH private not set AND living not set, the two conditions are connected by a logical AND, so the details were displayed in many cases. When I tried to delete one of the conditions I could not do so. Thus I had to back up and start over.

tatewise
Megastar

Postby tatewise » 13 Sep 2018 10:09

I'm sorry, but you will have to be more precise with your descriptions and perhaps include screenshots.

A lot depends on the type of Diagram and where that living person (your first wife's mother?) and descendants appear.
i.e. Is it perhaps an All Relatives Diagram and are those people in the Ancestors or in the Descendants part of the tree?
When you say "not display" those people, do mean a box with no details, or no box at all?
e.g.
If say it is an All Relatives Diagram with you and your 2nd wife as the Diagram Root, then your 1st wife's parents & siblings & spouses are not shown at all, so just right-click your 1st wife's box and choose Hide to remove her box and all her children.

If you followed the instructions in the second post, it is only possible to apply the Flag Condition option to one Record Flag.
So where have you specified both Private and Living flag not set?
Were you using a conditional Template expression, but that should allow any form of editing to delete one condition.
You say you could not "delete one of the conditions" but don't explain what prevented you.
Please post a screenshot, or the Template expression, or whatever caused your problem.

LornaCraig
Megastar

Postby LornaCraig » 13 Sep 2018 12:31

@ sago_palm43, did you add a whole extra line in the text scheme to test for the Private flag being not set? If so, as you have discovered, this won't achieve the desired result because anybody who has one flag but not the other will still have their details shown.

If that is what you tried, you can remove the extra line simply by selecting it in the list and clicking the delete icon (cross) in the toolbar below the list.

As Mike has indicated, you would need to add a test for the extra flag within the Template expression for each item, so that the information is only displayed if the individual has NEITHER the Living flag nor the Private flag. (I'll leave Mike to suggest the most efficient way of doing that!)
Lorna

Jane
Site Admin

Postby Jane » 13 Sep 2018 12:51

If you simply want to hide completely any Private people and their descendants don't forget you can simply right click on a box or hide it or use the Diagram Mark and hide options to mark all the private / living people and hide the boxes.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

tatewise
Megastar

Postby tatewise » 13 Sep 2018 13:10

Yes, I mentioned the Hide option, but it has consequential effects on linked relatives depending where the hidden person exists in the tree. If for example a Mother is hidden then the Husband &/or Children may also get hidden.

Return to “General Usage”