* Geocoding stopped working

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
mike gordon
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Geocoding stopped working

Post by mike gordon »

Yesterday I used Map Window for the first time.
Clicked 'map all places' which it started doing, quite happily adding markers. Then a notice box came up 'Geocoding has stopped working'.
I deleted, closed and tried again but it would only display up to the same previous point.
Today, fresh start, try again. But the same thing, same notice and many places not loaded.
Tried 'delete markers' added a root person to load individuals but again many missing. I have double checked on the individuals list that the correct place names are enetered on some of the missing markers. eg. my father born Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, Scotland but he does not come up. Neither does my mother died Bighton, Sussex, England.
Am I doing something wrong. or is the mapping not working correctly?
LornaCraig
Megastar

Re: Geocoding stopped working

Post by LornaCraig »

You could try geocoding smaller batches of Places rather than all at once. Then if there is a particular Place name that is causing a problem you might be able to narrow it down. In the Records window, on the Places tab, select a group of Place records then click the map marker icon and choose Map Locations of Selected Place Records.

I do know that both Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, Scotland and Brighton, Sussex, England are coded correctly by FH so you could try selecting just those two as a test. (My husband comes from Kilmarnock and my mother came from Brighton, so I have many references to those places!)

The geocoding results produced by FH often need adjusting. There are various ways of doing this within FH, and there is a plugin written by Mike Tate (Tatewise) called Map Life Facts V4.1which you might find useful.
Lorna
mike gordon
Platinum

Post by mike gordon »

Many thanks, will try.
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

I think there is a limit to the number of places which can be indexed in a day so if you have hundreds of places it might be a while.

Also make sure you have 6.2.6 installed as the Gedcode routines had an upgrade in that one.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."