* Reinstallation of v6

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
lisalouise25
Family Historian: V6

Reinstallation of v6

Post by lisalouise25 »

I have had to purchase a new laptop to which obviously fh6 could not be copied to as my last machine just died.

The version on my old machine was a downloaded version of v6 to which I still have my username and key to re-use but cannot get a copy of v6 to download to use?

Please can someone advise me its driving me mad!
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Reinstallation of v6

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG.

As well as your licence key you should also have preserved the downloaded installation file that is tied to that key.
Calico Pie will send it again if you follow the advice under how_to:reinstall_family_historian|> Family Historian Installation Advice in the article how_to:family_historian_licence_problems|> Family Historian Licence Problems.
Alternatively, if it was a Full Version 6 that you bought, then use the online Free Trial version and enter your key.

If your old PC just died, have you Full Backups of Projects you can recover from?
Do you know how to do that?
If not, then see glossary:backup_and_recovery|> Backup and Recovery.

Did you backup your preference & customisation settings using the Backup and Restore Family Historian Settings Plugin?
If not, did you backup the C:\ProgramData\Calico Pie\Family Historian\ folder where most settings reside.

It probably does not help, but take a look at how_to:family_historian_migration_guide|> Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Russell
Diamond

Post by Russell »

Hi lisalouise25

When you say that
my last machine just died
do you know what actually failed? As long as the hard drive is still working - and you still have access to the PC - you may be able to recover data from that by connecting it to your new machine.

It would need to be removed from the old PC and either fitted internally in the new one, or if you don't feel comfortable with that or there are no spare connections you could connect via USB.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OR take old PC to shop where you bought new PC and they will probably be able to recover your data from old disk drive.

It may have been only the power supply or mother board that died.
Power supply only costs about £50 to replace.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry