* PLAC and ADDR Records; Sorting

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: PLAC and ADDR Records; Sorting

Post by tatewise »

On the contrary, in my immediate reply to David I said:
"Agreed. Once it encounters a blank column part, it doesn't consider any further columns, so for those entries the order is random.
There is no logical reason for that behaviour, and should be reported as a bug to Calico Pie."

But at no point did you acknowledge that scenario, or that you had blank entries.
Only one of your later examples had any blank entries at all. So without blank entries it does sort correctly.
That is why the screenshot is so important.
If you had supplied that much earlier, the understanding would have been reached much quicker.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Ron Melby
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by Ron Melby »

ok, i cannot get that to work. go to plac tab, click on gear custom item name it RVS click on place data reference and add =Text(TextPart(%_PLAC.TEXT%,7) . ", " . TextPart(%_PLAC.TEXT%,6) . ", " . TextPart(%_PLAC.TEXT%,5) . ", " . TextPart(%_PLAC.TEXT%,4) . ", " . TextPart(%_PLAC.TEXT%,3) . ", " . TextPart(%_PLAC.TEXT%,2) . ", " . TextPart(%_PLAC.TEXT%,1))

%PLAC,TEXT%=Text(TextPart(%_PLAC.TEXT%,7) . ", " . TextPart(%_PLAC.TEXT%,6) . ", " . TextPart(%_PLAC.TEXT%,5) . ", " . TextPart(%_PLAC.TEXT%,4) . ", " . TextPart(%_PLAC.TEXT%,3) . ", " . TextPart(%_PLAC.TEXT%,2) . ", " . TextPart(%_PLAC.TEXT%,1))

nothing shows up
FH V.6.2.7 Win 10 64 bit
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That is not how you customise Records Window columns.
In the Records Window on the Places tab use Lists > Configure Records Window Columns or right-click on any column heading and choose Configure Columns.
In the Configure Columns dialogue select <Other...> on left and click > in middle.
Enter Heading as Reverse Place (or whatever you want to name it).
Enter Expression as provided earlier in this thread, then click Add.
Use the up/down black arrows to move that new column to where you prefer, then click OK.

See how_to:customising_record_window_columns|> Customise or Print Records Window Columns for related tutorials and advice.
Ron Melby
Megastar

Post by Ron Melby »

OK, new problem.

Usually if I have an ADDR in my PLAC, I have no ADDR.

So, in my case if I sort by 6th part, I can go towards the bottom of the work with window, and find most of my records at the bottom, but...go to record to fix, and I cant get back where I left off, is there some trick or am I back to revamp the 0_Place query?
FH V.6.2.7 Win 10 64 bit
davidm_uk
Megastar

Post by davidm_uk »

I've raised a support ticket (#856067) with Calico Pie, and referred them to this thread.

Will report back here any communication from them.
David Miller - researching Miller, Hare, Walker, Bright (mostly Herts, Beds, Dorset and London)
davidm_uk
Megastar

Post by davidm_uk »

@Ron
In the Tools...Work with Data...Places window, double click on the entry you want to modify to open the View/Edit Place Details window. Click in the place box and a grey edit icon with 3 dots in it appears on the the right of that place box, click that icon and another window opens Edit Place Name You can edit the place details in there.

i.e. Use the Edit button and then the [...] button to right of Place box. When finished click Close and original Place List is still displayed.
David Miller - researching Miller, Hare, Walker, Bright (mostly Herts, Beds, Dorset and London)
Ron Melby
Megastar

Post by Ron Melby »

Thx, already do that, was looking for something way more handy than that.

lets say I have the same problem with 15 records, so I go to the first record, with the go to record, and fix it, and want to come back where I left off........................lets say, cuz that is all that we can do, never mind the other issues.

They have issues with all their index handling, prima facie, they have a clear button on the records window. And sometimes it still hangs up. LOL.
FH V.6.2.7 Win 10 64 bit
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If you have the same problem with many records, then perhaps Search and Replace will fix them all in one go.

Do NOT use the Edit > Find and Replace command on Place name records.

Use the Search and Replace Plugin but do read its Help & Advice in Usage Examples for Place Name Changes in FH V6.
Probably the Global Change Example method will work for you.
See plugins:help:search_and_replace:usage_examples#place_name_changes_in_fh_v6|> Place Name Changes in FH V6 for same advice.

Remember that if after running Plugin the resulting change is not right then use Edit > Undo Plugin Updates immediately.
Ron Melby
Megastar

Post by Ron Melby »

right, its a distinction without a difference, in that none of them address the issue that I am fundametally converting both PLAC and ADDR in the records I am selecting, and its a great number of them. if its simple mispellings and so on the work with records, place, address does close enough for what I want to do, correcting the single record, or multiple record misspelling or missing blank, or township in city field and so on.
FH V.6.2.7 Win 10 64 bit
Ron Melby
Megastar

Post by Ron Melby »

here is the thing, if I do that split the text which I dont see how to do on the fact place records to the part 7 +, + part6 +,+ I know that if part 1 or part 2 is in a place record greater than blank, where they go
part7, 6,5,4,3,2,1 then it really belongs in an ADDR record and modified, which needs doing by hand and the place record needs to be cut down to 7,6,5,4,3 reversed and in the PLAC record before modification; consider

after reversal

USA, MN, Hennepin, , Minneapolis, Fort Snelling National Cemetery

PLAC needs reversed 7, 6, 5, 4, 3
so Minneapolis , , Hennepin, MN, USA
that seems to cover all cases for PLACE

ADDR should be: Fort Snelling National Cemetery, , Minneapolis, MN, , USA (one is blank, so no address, in this case, in another case it is different, USA, MN, Hennepin, , Minneapolis, 112 Main Street.
there are some with street addresses and companies, some with companies no street address and the like, all combos, I could figure out what the full rules would be, but if a guy got that far, the splitting inserting deleting and trimming could be worked out as well. But this is sticky and needs human at the moment.
FH V.6.2.7 Win 10 64 bit
Ron Melby
Megastar

Post by Ron Melby »

Having spent the better part of two days on the 'query' system, and not accomplishing a thing...

I get PLAC Records:
%PLAC%
Reverse it
=TextPart(%_PLAC%,1,7,REV)
separate
P7
=TextPart(%_PLAC%,7,1,REV)
P1
=TextPart(%_PLAC%,1,1,REV)

and exluding
=TextPart(%_PLAC%,7,1,TIDY) is null, or blank

and not being able to reference p1...p7
what am I doing wrong
I not want:
7,6,5,4,3 only records
but want
records where
2 or 1 is > nil or blank

Help?
I can see those parts are blank when the query is returned.
FH V.6.2.7 Win 10 64 bit
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

OK If it's a query you want, the last entry on this post has a couple of queries, just download them, click on them to install in FH and see how they work:
Place List (15376)
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68
Ron Melby
Megastar

Post by Ron Melby »

Have them, they don't do it.
FH V.6.2.7 Win 10 64 bit
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If you want records where Part 2 or Part 1 is not nil or blank then use Rows filters:

Add unless =TextPart(%_PLAC%,1,1,TIDY) is null
and
Add unless =TextPart(%_PLAC%,2,1,TIDY) is null
Ron Melby
Megastar

Post by Ron Melby »

yup, using a place based query that does not work.
It will present them right shifted so that it does not work in picking out from reverse, and left shifted so it does not work picking them out from standard, and switching to reverse, and using the numbers reversed, looking at 6 and 7 it doesnt work either, it looks like it plain ignores it.

in query, usually you can use the intermediate fields you calculate, and equal and lesser than and greater than, and none of it can be done here.

I have tried every combination I can think of and cannot get it to work.

a more brilliant question might be, can I find a REAL PLAC and ADDR record in the file from INDI query without knowing its parent EVEN or _ATTR? cant seem to find a way to do that.
FH V.6.2.7 Win 10 64 bit
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sorry Ron, but you are not helping yourself.
Your previous posting was focussed on Place (%_PLAC%) records.
So I gave you a Place records solution, which you now say you don't want.

The Rows filter I gave selects the Place records you requested, where Part 2 or Part 1 is not nil or blank.
Is that the correct filter criteria?
Please post EXACTLY the Rows filters you used (preferably a screenshot) and explain in clear terms WHY it does not satisfy your criteria, not simply it "does not work" which does not help anyone help you!
Tell us what combinations you tried and we might help you understand why they are not quite what you need.

How the Place parts appear in the Result Set depends on the Column expressions not the Rows filter.
If you want them shown reversed then use a Column expression such as we used before.
=Text(TextPart(%_PLAC.TEXT%,7) . ", " . TextPart(%_PLAC.TEXT%,6) . ", " . TextPart(%_PLAC.TEXT%,5) . ", " . TextPart(%_PLAC.TEXT%,4) . ", " . TextPart(%_PLAC.TEXT%,3) . ", " . TextPart(%_PLAC.TEXT%,2) . ", " . TextPart(%_PLAC.TEXT%,1))

No, you cannot find PLAC or ADDR fields in an INDI query without checking every standard Event & Attribute never mind every custom Event (EVEN) and custom Attribute (_ATTR), and all index instances of those facts. Also it would miss all Family (FAM) facts such as Marriage (MARR) and Divorce (DIV), etc.

But that approach would find EXACTLY the same Place names as found in Place records, and would suffer all the same difficulties of filtering and reversing. So is a pointless exercise.