* Number of individuals in each pool

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
BillH
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Number of individuals in each pool

Post by BillH »

I've looked around and can't find an answer to this question.

Is there a way to get a list of all of the relation pools and how many individuals are in each pool?

Thanks,
Bill Henshaw
AnneEast
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Number of individuals in each pool

Post by AnneEast »

I have used the standard query 'search for orphans' which, whilst doing that, sorts all individuals into their pools. Us that what you mean?
Anne
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Anne,

Thanks for the reply. I've used that query which can be very helpful, but what I was looking for was a way to get a count for each pool. Something like this:

Pool, # of Individuals
1, 12000
2, 26
3, 55
etc.

I am trying to figure out which pools have the most folks in them.

Thanks,
Bill Henshaw
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Use Show Project Statistics Plugin that shows number of Individuals per Pool on the Records tab for the two largest and two smallest Pools.

You cannot use a Query to get counts per Pool, so it has to be a Plugin.
OR it may be possible to export the Search For Orphans Query Result Set to CSV File and use a Spreadsheet to count the Individual rows per Pool Number.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Mike, I thought I had seen something like that once before, but I couldn't remember where.

I tried running the plugin and waited for 5 minutes and nothing happened. I had to kill the plugin to get FH to be accessible again. Does it take longer than that for anything to happen? Should I get a pop-up window right away or do I see nothing until it is finished processing.

Edit: I tried deleting, downloading, and installing the plugin again. Same results. I tried re-booting, same results.
Bill Henshaw
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It should work as explained in plugins:help:show_project_statistics:show_project_statistics|> Show Project Statistics Plugin.

If you get no initial dialogue try deleting the ...project.fh_data\Plugin Data\Show Project Statistics.dat & .grid files.
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Figured it out.

Due to a technical problem I am down from 3 monitors to 2. The plugin window was coming up on the non-existent 3rd monitor. I was able to move it to one of the other monitors by right clicking on the plugin icon in the taskbar, selecting "Move", and then using the arrow keys to move it over.

This has some of what I want, but I have 98 pools and the plugin window only shows pool 1, 2, 3, 97, and 98. The others are all lumped into pool 4-96.

Thanks
Bill Henshaw
paultt
Famous

Post by paultt »

Bill,
I use a free download app - Genealogica Grafica - which you can find on the web at http://www.genealogicagrafica.nl/download.htm It does all sorts of checks on a gedcom file, including erroneous dates, duplicate birth entries, etc, as well as what you want. Check the errors in the pop up messages and scroll to the bottom of the report. Make sure you save your gedcom as an UTF-8 file in Preferences->File load/save, as it freaks out with a UTF16!
rgds
Paul
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Paul,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a go.

Thanks!
Bill Henshaw
BennettH
Family Historian: V6.1

Post by BennettH »

Is this what always happens? Is there a way to change the layout somehow?
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

BennettH:
Sorry, I don't understand your question. Does it have anything to do with the grouping of individuals into numbered 'Pools', which is the subject of this topic? If you have a question about diagram layout please start a new topic, and expand a bit on the question.
Lorna
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Paul,

I just downloaded GenealogicaGraphica and tried it out. I looked all around and I couldn't find any place that it showed the different pools and how many individuals are in each pool. Could you explain how to get this information?

Thanks,
Bill Henshaw
DavidNewton
Superstar

Post by DavidNewton »

Following up on Mike Tates suggestion of exporting as csv.
Save the result set of the Search Orphans Query as a csv ensuring that column headings are included. Open the csv using Excel setting the delimiter for the csv as a comma. Then make a pivot table (in a new worksheet) making sure that Individuals and Pool show, Pool as Row labels and Count of individuals as values. The new worksheet will give the list. The screen shot is from the top of my list.
PoolCount.JPG
PoolCount.JPG (22.35 KiB) Viewed 11665 times
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

David,

Thanks for the reply. I am not really an Excel user except for really simple spreadsheets. I have never created a pivot table (at least not as far as I am aware).

I saved the query results to a csv. FH asked if I wanted to open the saved file so I said OK. Then I selected Format as Table in the Excel ribbon and selected that there are headers. This is what I get:
image1.jpg
image1.jpg (205.54 KiB) Viewed 11654 times
Mine doesn't total the pools and shows the individuals names. I am obviously doing something wrong. I didn't get prompted anywhere to use a comma as a delimiter.

If you don't mind, could you explain further how to create this pivot table?

Thanks
Bill Henshaw
DavidNewton
Superstar

Post by DavidNewton »

First of all save the csv with some suitable name. I think it defaults into your project Public folder but it might be easier to find if you save it in your Documents folder and don't open it for viewing.

I am using Excel 2007 so you may need to take that into account. There is more than one way of getting a csv into Excel but to ensure you get the chance to set up delimiters, start Excel. On the ribbon select the Data tab and select From Text, this will give you an Open file dialog with a filter 'Text Files' so that csv files show up. Select the csv you just saved and click Open.

You should see the first step of the Text Import Wizard identifying the file as delimited, starting at row 1 and with a preview window.
Click next and you will get Step 2 which allows you to choose the delimiter (I think the default is Tab which is why your file has only one column). Change the delimiter to Comma and click Next.
The final step is to choose column formats 'General ' is fine for both columns then finish and you should get two columns
Once you have the columns in Excel select Insert from the Ribbon and the first option is Pivot Table.
Click the button and you will get a dialog box offering options. The defaults should be fine. Click OK and Excel will switch to a new sheet and there are instructions on the left nd a design box on the right. Check both individuals and Pool and they will move into the field boxes. Drag Pool into the bottom left box and Individuals into the bottom right (it will default to Count of Individuals) The left side of the work sheet changes dynamically as you move the fields around.

Experiment!

David
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Firstly, use the Save as CSV (ANSI) version so that commas are automatically handled to give Individual and Pool columns.

In Excel, create a New Sheet and on Insert tab add a Pivot Table.
In Select a table or range return to original sheet and select both columns A Individual and B Pool.
In the Pivot Table Fields dialogue on right drag Pool down to Rows and Individual down to Values.
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

David and Mike,

Thanks for the very clear instructions. I would never have figured this out on my own.

I do have a problem though. When I do this the counts are not correct. I have 19, 418 individuals in my project. The total for all pools using this method ends up being 59,395.

One pool, #83, only has about 150 individuals in it, but the pivot table show 12,533. A lot of the other have the wrong totals as well.

My table ends up looking like this.
image1.jpg
image1.jpg (22.43 KiB) Viewed 11638 times
image3.jpg
image3.jpg (31.54 KiB) Viewed 11638 times
Any ideas on what might be wrong?
Bill Henshaw
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Maybe you caught my posting before I corrected it.

Go back and read it again, as you need to select both columns A and B and drag Individual down to Values not Pool.

Your statistic is multiplying the Count by the Pool number.
i.e.
Pool 2 has 16 members so count is 16 x 2 = 32
Pool 3 has 22 members so count is 22 x 3 = 66
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Mike,

Yes... that was it. This is just what I want. I even learned something new... pivot tables.

Thanks to everyone for their help on this.
Bill Henshaw