* Goto focus person in diagram

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Genie15
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Goto focus person in diagram

Post by Genie15 »

Hi readers,
In checking my data I would view a diagram of the appropriate family and work through the persons.
Later close the program. The diagram gets closed but I can make the focused person the root file person so when I open the program again I'm at the focus person I last worked on.
But I have to open the appropriate diagram and try to find the focus person.
Is there a plugin of other way to goto the focus person in the displayed diagram?
Or save the view of the diagram on closing.
Genie15
LornaCraig
Megastar

Re: Goto focus person in diagram

Post by LornaCraig »

Are you opening a brand new diagram each time? When you "open the appropriate diagram" you could simply use the Focus person as the diagram root. However that will probably give you a different diagram from the one you were last working on.

There is an option Edit > Find in Diagram. The Select Record box will open with the most recently selected record pre-selected. Click OK. That individual will now be marked with dark dots round their box. However If you have just selected someone other than the Focus person as the root of a brand new diagram you will have to change the selection back to the Focus person first.

An alternative approach would be to Mark the individual in a distinctive colour in the diagram before closing FH, then use Diagram>Save Diagram As> Family Historian Chart. The Chart can then be opened next time from View>Saved Charts.

To Mark an individual right click their box and select Mark. (The colour of the marked box can be chosen in Diagram Options>General tab>Sundry Colours). When the Chart is re-opened the marked box should stand out and be found easily, although you may still have to zoom in to read the text. To cancel the marking, right click on the box and untick Mark.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

When you open any Diagram, the current Focus person will become the Diagram Root person shown with a white box background, and will always be within the displayed part of the Diagram.

What may be confusing things is that the Diagarm you were working on before closing FH probably had a different Diagram Root person, and so the structure of the family tree would be different.

The best solution is to save the Diagram as a Chart by using Diagram > Save Diagram and giving it an appropriate name. Then when you re-open FH use View > Saved Charts and select that name to open the Diagram exactly as you saved it. It is a common misconception that such FH Charts are somehow frozen, but they are actually the same as a Diagram with all the same Options but with the Diagram Root person and other family tree choices preserved. Also any new data such as Facts or Individuals will be reflected in the FH Chart.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Genie15
Diamond

Post by Genie15 »

Hello Lorna,
No it's from a saved diagram.
I thought I had seen something some time ago.
I tried it, and although opening a saved diagram it fills the screen with black blobs (Large family tree) I can just discern the blue rectangle of the selected person.
Many thanks, you have saved me a lot of frustration. Although if I looked better and or longer I should have found it.
Too many options is my excuse. Yet at times not enough.
Genie15. May have to change my name.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

although opening a saved diagram it fills the screen with black blobs (Large family tree) I can just discern the blue rectangle of the selected person.
I'm glad that helped a bit.
I find it easier to work with diagrams of smaller family units, as this makes it much easier to locate people . So I either generate a smaller diagram to start with (e.g. descendants of a particular couple) or open a large diagram and then close off a lot of branches by clicking on the expansion buttons. Then save this smaller diagram as a chart called WIP (Work in Progress).
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Also Lorna's other suggestion works well.
After opening the Chart return to the Focus window with your preserved Root person in Focus.
Use Edit > Find in Diagram and that Focus person will be preselected so just click OK.
That will select the Focus person in the Diagram with blue blobs that are very obvious.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Genie15
Diamond

Post by Genie15 »

Thank you both for solving my problem and giving me other ideas.
When one doesn't know how, it's frustrating and annoying.
I can have my dinner now.
Thank you.
Genie15