* Columns in media list window

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
pwe
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Columns in media list window

Post by pwe »

I have brought up all my media using the "media" button on the main toolbar
I then use the "keyword filter" to filter out all except one keyword eg "census 1851"
Using the "layout" button on the main toolbar I select "list pane only"

This produces a list of all of my media having the selected keyword and looks similar to the main
record windows.

I then right click on a blank area of the window and select "columns" to add a column. I do this in
the same way as I would add a column to any of the record windows.

I select "other" from the bottom of the list on the left side and transfer it to the right using >

I name it "keywords" and select the expression "keywords" from the list.

Then "OK" and the new column appears.

But the new column is no longer listed in the right hand panel of the "configure columns for media
records list" window therefore I cannot now delete it or adjust its position but it still appears in
the "media list window".

Actually, there is more to it than that. Whenever I add a column it produces the problem as above. But
if I add a second column the latest one overwrites the earlier one and leaves just one additional column.

Currently I have 7 columns showing (the installation setting) plus one extra one as above mentioned.

So am I doing something wrong? Is anyone else able to reproduce this problem? Is anyone able to add
and remove a column?

many thanks -- Peter E
BillH
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Columns in media list window

Post by BillH »

Peter,

I get the same results. I'm able to add a column, the next column added replaces the first column added, and they disappear from the right pane so they can't be moved or deleted. I used the installation settings button to go back to the original layout.

I'm not sure if this is as designed or it is a bug.
Bill Henshaw
pwe
Famous

Post by pwe »

Bill,
Thanks for that.
I have experimented further and find that on exiting the programme the extra column is not saved and does not appear on re-opening FH.
Peter E
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

I then right click on a blank area of the window and select "columns" to add a column....
When I do this in the Media Records List tab of the Media window I get a message saying "You cannot configure the columns of this list".
Given that it looks very like the Records window this is a bit surprising, but what is more surprising is that you are seeing different behaviour. Which version (in 3 digits) are you using? I have 6.2.5.
Lorna
pwe
Famous

Post by pwe »

Lorna,
I have 6.2.5
Peter
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Lorna,

I'm using 6.2.5 also. If I open the Media List and right click and select Columns, I get the Configure Columns for the Media Records List window. I get the same window if I go to the Records Window and select the Media tab and then right click and select Columns.
image1.jpg
image1.jpg (185.13 KiB) Viewed 10063 times
Bill Henshaw
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

This is really peculiar.
If I add all my media to the Media Window I see what you are seeing.
But if I have only a subset I see this:
Attachments
image1.JPG
image1.JPG (52.49 KiB) Viewed 10054 times
Lorna
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Lorna,

Yes, I get the same result if I try using selected media instead of all media.
Bill Henshaw
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, I also have those rather strange symptoms, regardless of whether the Media Window is filtered or not

There is clearly some sharing of the configured columns between the Media Window > Media List tab and the Records Window > Media tab.

Whatever is configured in one appears in the other, except that there is some form of curtailment of the right-hand column(s) in the Media Window > Media List tab, and sometimes the customisation does not get applied until FH is closed & opened.

I believe they should both effectively be the same customisable Columns view of the Media records.
Whenever Columns are configured or sorted in one tab that change should be mimicked in the other tab.
But that is not happening under all circumstances.
In my opinion that is a bug that should be reported to Calico Pie.

BTW:
A difference between your screenshots is that in Media List: box top left some say All Media and others Selected Media and that determines the behaviour.
When I use the Keyword Filter: below to obtain a selected subset, the Media List: box still says All Media.
How do you get it to say Selected Media ?
When it says anything but All Media you get the cannot configure the columns message popup.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
pwe
Famous

Post by pwe »

For me the record window media tab seems to behave correctly but in the media list pane I never see the panel "you cannot configure the columns of this list"
Like you Mike I cannot see "selected media" in the media list row but always "all media"
I shall report this to Calico referring them to this thread.
Thanks to all for the help.
Peter E
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

When I use the Keyword Filter: below to obtain a selected subset, the Media List: box still says All Media.
How do you get it to say Selected Media ?
I had started by selecting a few records in the records window and using View Media for Selected Records. Then tried the effect of adding a filter to those records. So I didn't follow exactly the same steps as Peter. I should have done, but at least this has thrown up an inconsistency.
Lorna
pwe
Famous

Post by pwe »

I have had reply from Calico regarding this problem I reported and have had a positive response. I have reproduced the reply below.

Peter E

We have investigated this issue. There is no good reason why you should not be able to configure columns when you are viewing a filtered subset of media in the Media in the Media Window and we will change it so you can.

The other issue is the problem you had when customizing the Media Window. We have not been able to reproduce the problem (we can save column configuration information between sessions for example). Our best guess though that the problem has arisen because the Media List in the Media Window, and the Media tab in the Records window, share the same column configuration information, but do not handle it as well as they should if both are open at the same time, when you try to change the configuration data. We will fix this too. For now, the solution is to make sure that only one of them is open when you configure the column information. So, for example, if you want to configure the columns for the Media List, I suggest you close the Media Window and do it in the Media tab of the Records Window. Where you are most likely to notice odd behaviour is if say, you have both windows open at the same time (even if one is out-of-sight behind the other), and you configure the columns for one, and then try to configure the columns for the other.

Once you have configured the columns to what you want, you can have as many windows open at the same time as you like, that share the same column configuration information. It is only when you want to make changes that you might be best advised to have only one open at a time. Actually, even now, if you don't follow this advice, nothing very terrible will happen. You just may notice the kind of symptoms you have seen.
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

i don't know about you Peter, but I still have the problem in the Media Window Media List even if I don't have the Media Tab of the Records Window selected. I add one column and it doesn't show in the right hand pane and then when I add another column it replaces the first column I added. Am I missing something in Calico Pie's explanation?
Bill Henshaw
pwe
Famous

Post by pwe »

Bill,
Yes I get that effect also.
I think Calico are saying that for now configure the columns in the record window media tab. These columns should then be reproduced in the media list window. That method works ok for me.
The reply says that the columns should be able to be configured equally from both the media list and the media tab but this does not currently work correctly from the media list. This will be fixed.

It appears that the column configuration of the media tab and the media list should be linked but there is some sort of problem with this linking and the column configuration only works properly from one starting point ie the media tab but does not work properly from the media list.
Peter E
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Peter,

I was hoping that is what they meant, but I was confused when they said "but do not handle it as well as they should if both are open at the same time, when you try to change the configuration data. We will fix this too. For now, the solution is to make sure that only one of them is open when you configure the column information".

For me the problem persists even if only one is open so that their suggested solution doesn't work for me.

Using the record window does work and it carries over to the Media List as well so.

Thanks for following up with Calico Pie. Hopefully they will have it fixed in the next release.
Bill Henshaw