* From Media to Source

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
ampt
Gold
Family Historian: V6

From Media to Source

Post by ampt » 25 Nov 2017 16:49

Based on a previous question, I realize that most of my original documents have been entered as "media". Of course, now I know that they should have been entered as "source".
What would be the easiest or quickest way of moving the items (lots of them) from media to source. I presume that I will add the image to the source.
Thanks

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: From Media to Source

Post by tatewise » 25 Nov 2017 17:09

I suspect there is more to that question than you realise.

If you have simply added each document image to an Individual record Media tab, then you have not been creating Source records and Citations at all.

So you need to go through each of those documents and create the Source records to hold their transcript, their publication identity, plus any other details, as well as add the document image to the Source record Media tab.

Then each Fact derived from that document must have a Citation linking it to the Source record.

For example, a Birth Certificate will have a Source record holding all the details & image.
The Birth Event and other facts such as the Occupation of the father and the Names of the parents will each need a Citation linking them to the Source record.

Unfortunately there is no automated method I can think of that would do any of that.
I recommend you use Ancestral Sources to capture those Source documents from scratch.
Then delete the redundant Individual record Media.
I realise that may take some time, but it does not have to be completed in one go.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

ampt
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Re: From Media to Source

Post by ampt » 25 Nov 2017 18:19

I was afraid, you'd say that. Did exactly that with one death record and oh my! But it works a lot better.
Thanks.