* How do I include all relevant photos in a book

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
ctb
Platinum
Family Historian: V6

How do I include all relevant photos in a book

Post by ctb »

Hello
I've searched the forums but can't find an answer, so wondering of anyone can help me here, please.
I am trying to see how to add into a Book a section with all the photos associated with the people in the Book. In other words, I want to have not just the first picture of each individual but ALL the photos associated with them - ideally in a separate section.
I can see how to add a Media Report but that's not what I want.
Without it, I can see no point in adding them into FH in the first place.
Many thanks for any help!
Cheers
Clint
LornaCraig
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: How do I include all relevant photos in a book

Post by LornaCraig »

The number of pictures displayed is governed by the Report Options. It's best to start by opening a sample whatever type of Report you are using (just as a free-standing report, not part of a book), then click Options on the right and on the Pictures tab set the Max Pics number to a high number. You might also want to go to the Sources tab and adjust the Max Pics per Source. When you have made this and any other customisations, click Save Report As.. and give it a memorable name. Then when you select the items for the book, click Other Report and select your customised report type from the list.
Lorna
ctb
Platinum

Post by ctb »

Ah, brilliant, thanks Lorna - so I create a Report and then add that to the Book... I didn't work that out!
Many thanks
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

The number of pictures can also be adjusted via the Settings button at the bottom of the Current Book Items list. However it is generally easier to experiment with adjustments to the report type first. You can create as many different variations as you like, with different names, and all will be available for use in any future books.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

See how_to:report_content_multimedia_format_layout|> Report Content, Media, Format and Layout and checkout the Pictures and Sources tabs that reiterate what Lorna has said.

BUT that integrates the Photos into the Report alongside the Individuals, and NOT in a separate section as requested.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ctb
Platinum

Post by ctb »

LornaCraig wrote:The number of pictures can also be adjusted via the Settings button at the bottom of the Current Book Items list. However it is generally easier to experiment with adjustments to the report type first. You can create as many different variations as you like, with different names, and all will be available for use in any future books.
Hi again Lorna
I looked under Publish and all the different menu items for Reports and could find nothing that produced a report of pictures :-(
ctb
Platinum

Post by ctb »

Do you know if I can pay someone to walk me through all this at all, because it is possibly the most complex software I've ever used and I include Microsoft Word/Excel and PPT in that statement!
Thanks
Clint
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Clint, back in June it was recommended in Anecdotes/biographical information (15093) that you study how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers and you promised to do so. That is the 'walk through' and it is free. You also need to follow other links into our [kb]|[/kb] for advice on many other topics.

BTW: I suspect you are not using the full capabilities of Word/Excel because they are truly awesome.

Can we rewind and clarify your requirement.
So, you do NOT want the Photos from the Media tab of each Individual to be included alongside them in each Report.
Usually that is what users want; the Facts about an Individual and all their Photos together on the same page of a Report.
Instead you want a completely separate Report that includes just the Photos from all those Media tabs and no Facts.
Is that correct?

OR may be you missed the important point that to adjust the Report Options you must first use Publish and choose the type of report you want. Then when you change the Report > Options > Pictures tab that Report will change dynamically.
ctb
Platinum

Post by ctb »

tatewise wrote:Clint, back in June it was recommended in Anecdotes/biographical information (15093) that you study how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers and you promised to do so. That is the 'walk through' and it is free. You also need to follow other links into our [kb]|[/kb] for advice on many other topics.

BTW: I suspect you are not using the full capabilities of Word/Excel because they are truly awesome.

Can we rewind and clarify your requirement.
So, you do NOT want the Photos from the Media tab of each Individual to be included alongside them in each Report.
Usually that is what users want; the Facts about an Individual and all their Photos together on the same page of a Report.
Instead you want a completely separate Report that includes just the Photos from all those Media tabs and no Facts.
Is that correct?

OR may be you missed the important point that to adjust the Report Options you must first use Publish and choose the type of report you want. Then when you change the Report > Options > Pictures tab that Report will change dynamically.
Hi Tatewise

I did look at the Key Features for Newcomer, and either I already knew it or it was not something I am interested in knowing. I also bought and have referred to How To Get The Most From FH6".

I've been using MS Office for nigh-on 20 years and am a fairly advanced user, but I still think it is overly complex for 95% of daily use - like FH.

In terms of what I'm looking for, at this stage (before I top myself with frustration and join my ancestors in Heaven!) whilst ideally I'd like a separate section with all the photos with the names of each person under each photo, I'll happily have all photos about an individual together with their facts. But I think it would like pretty busy given that I am using the "Ancestors By Generation" report.

Yes, I do know to go to the Publish menu for Reports, but I can't find any Report that produces just the Pictures. Nor can I find a setting (among the overwhelming number of settings options) within the individual reports that will automatically include all photos about an individual instead of just the main photo...

Producing a separate Report of pictures that I could add to a Book would be good also for things like pictures of houses, maps etc that are general to whole families, rather than having to repeat them for each individual.

Maybe I need to find a sample Book and work with that because I can't believe that what I am trying to do is so peculiar. And if it is peculiar, it would be good to look at some samples to see if I should revise what I'm doing.

As I said, it may be best if I pay someone to help me with this because I'm really not interested in becoming an expert; I simply want to do the family trees for my family and get back into the world of the living ;-)

Regards
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Nor can I find a setting (among the overwhelming number of settings options) within the individual reports that will automatically include all photos about an individual instead of just the main photo...
On Mon Nov 13 Lorna explained how to achieve that, so to reiterate:
Use Publish > Narrative Reports > Ancestors By Generation.
Use the Report > Report Options command or click the Options... button on right.
Select the Pictures tab, and then Sources tab in turn.
In both tabs increase each Max Pics or Max Pics Per Source/Citation value to say 99 to ensure every image is included.
Click OK to see the effect in the Report.

However, note that there are other settings on those tabs to adjust the location and size of the images.
Click Help button on each tab for more advice.

It would be a good idea to save that customisation using Save Report As > Custom Report Type.

That has permanently customised the Ancestors By Generation Report regardless of who is selected for inclusion.
So when that style of report is chosen in your Book it should include all the images.

BTW:
The above concepts are covered in Getting the Most From Family Historian 6 in Chapter 15 Reports and Narratives, but you already knew that.

If you really want a separate Report of just the Photos and Names of each person, but without their Facts, then a rather more complex customisation of the Ancestors By Generation Report is possible, and I can guide you through that if interested.
It would retain the numbered headings for each person's Name, and each Photo would have a Caption, but no other text would be included.
This is why FH is complex, because so many users want to customise so many features. If it did not support that, then the above options would not be possible at all.
ctb
Platinum

Post by ctb »

Hi again
So, I have done what was suggested (ie increased the Max Pics) and what I get is pages of whiteness with a strip of photos to the right, underneath each of which is a description of the photo (name of the person, date, age etc). It is not very effective!
And is it really the best I can get from Family Historian?
It seems bizarre - given the older demographic of people doing their family trees (myself included!) - that it is not possible to produce a printable report (eg PDF) with all the information along with all the photos to share with other people. That seems like a pretty basic requirement to me.
So, either I'm missing something or I have picked the wrong software.
Surely I am not alone in wanting this? I'll happily buy new software (so long as I can export and re-import what I already have).
Any thoughts, please?
(preferably without a telling off from Tatewise for not having read some long detail buried in a KnowledgeBase URL somewhere!).
Thank you
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

You can increase the size of the photos in the report, just check the options. I have increased the size of mine so that I get two on an A4 page in my reports.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Clint, I'm sorry you feel like that, but on that Pictures tab where you increased the Max Pics values did you inspect any of the other picture options or click the Help button for advice?

The Picture Location default usually is To the Right of the Text which will produce a vertical column against the right margin.
That is often a good option if there are a great many facts recorded for the person.
An alternative is In Rows Above Text, Left-Aligned which in your case will waste less space.

While we are discussing this Pictures tab, there are Size, Height & Width settings that select the picture size.

Below those there are options that govern the Caption shown under each picture.
We can discuss those further if you need more control over your captions.

Moving on to the Sources tab there are similar options for document images attached to Source records.

Back in the main Report Window, in the right-hand panel there is the Save Report As button offering several export formats, one of which is PDF File.

I am sure the above topics are covered in Getting the Most From Family Historian 6 in Chapter 15 Reports and Narratives.

It seems that FH can never win.
On the one hand users complain there are too many options that are too complicated for them.
Then other users complain that there are not options to configure things exactly the way they want.
ctb
Platinum

Post by ctb »

Valkrider wrote:You can increase the size of the photos in the report, just check the options. I have increased the size of mine so that I get two on an A4 page in my reports.
Thank you very much, will try that!
ctb
Platinum

Post by ctb »

tatewise wrote:Clint, I'm sorry you feel like that, but on that Pictures tab where you increased the Max Pics values did you inspect any of the other picture options or click the Help button for advice?

The Picture Location default usually is To the Right of the Text which will produce a vertical column against the right margin.
That is often a good option if there are a great many facts recorded for the person.
An alternative is In Rows Above Text, Left-Aligned which in your case will waste less space.

While we are discussing this Pictures tab, there are Size, Height & Width settings that select the picture size.

Below those there are options that govern the Caption shown under each picture.
We can discuss those further if you need more control over your captions.

Moving on to the Sources tab there are similar options for document images attached to Source records.

Back in the main Report Window, in the right-hand panel there is the Save Report As button offering several export formats, one of which is PDF File.

I am sure the above topics are covered in Getting the Most From Family Historian 6 in Chapter 15 Reports and Narratives.

It seems that FH can never win.
On the one hand users complain there are too many options that are too complicated for them.
Then other users complain that there are not options to configure things exactly the way they want.
Thank you
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The moral of this thread is that if you believe you are not alone in expecting a requirement, then FH probably has the options needed, so perhaps inspect what is on offer with a little more diligence.
I approach most products that way; assuming that a widely used product will cater for the vast majority of users, otherwise it would not have achieved its popularity in the market place.
ctb
Platinum

Post by ctb »

tatewise wrote:The moral of this thread is that if you believe you are not alone in expecting a requirement, then FH probably has the options needed, so perhaps inspect what is on offer with a little more diligence.
I approach most products that way; assuming that a widely used product will cater for the vast majority of users, otherwise it would not have achieved its popularity in the market place.
No matter how much you wish I was more competent at all this, or how much easier FH is to use than I find it to be, no options have yet provided me the sort of report that I would like. I would appreciate it Tatweise if you stopped replying to my questions. Thanks.
neild

Post by neild »

I think what is being asked for is a report of photo's for the whole page such as four across and five or six down in a grid pattern. I to would like this but it can't be done at present...maybe sometime in the future? I'm sorry but it doesn't' really help to tell people read the book, knowledge base or whatever. Its a pretty simple request
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to your first posting in the FHUG Neil.
I thought I had supplied enough option settings to achieve such a grid of photos.
Did you try them, rather than dismissively say it can't be done?
i.e.
On the Pictures tab increase Max Pics values and set Picture Location to In Rows Above Text, Left-Aligned.

I also said:
If you really want a separate Report of just the Photos and Names of each person, but without their Facts, then a rather more complex customisation is possible, and I can guide you through that if interested.
It would retain headings for each person's Name, and each Photo would have a Caption, but no other text would be included.
See fhugdownloads:contents:individual_multimedia_report|> Report Type ~ Individual Multimedia report that gets quite close, and with a little more customisation can remove even more of the text. e.g.
IndividualPhotosReport.png
IndividualPhotosReport.png (82.63 KiB) Viewed 12920 times
I'm sorry you don't find it useful to be informed where report customisation options are documented.
But other reader's of this thread might like to know such things for future reference.
paulmccaff
Gold

Post by paulmccaff »

Hi,

I have recently been looking at how to add pictures into a book that stand alone on a separate page. I have found a very simple solution to produce my effort shown below. As these post were some three years ago not sure if anyone will be interested in my post, e.g, Clint, but am very happy to discuss this if any wishes.

best regards,
Paul
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (249.28 KiB) Viewed 6050 times
paulmccaff
Gold

Post by paulmccaff »

or as a slight alternative:

Kind regards,