* move person/s from project to another project

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Genie15
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

move person/s from project to another project

Post by Genie15 »

I would like to know the best way to move a person or persons from one project to another project with their related persons and or details.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: move person/s from project to another project

Post by tatewise »

See how_to:exporting_gedcom_with_multimedia|> Exporting a Family Tree with/without Media and also glossary:merge_compare_files|> Merge/Compare File that explains the process.

In summary, you will need to use File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File and select which records to export from one Project, then in the other Project use File > Merge/Compare File to import those records and match them up with people in that other Project.

If you need more detailed advice then do ask again.

Remember to use your experience gained from the posting Duplicate id numbers (14291).
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Genie15
Diamond

Post by Genie15 »

Hello,
That's the way I've been doing it but just thought there might be an easier way.
Thank you.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The 'easier' solution that many FH users adopt is to have just one composite Project including everyone.
Then you never have migrate groups of people from one Project to another Project.

If the purpose of your various Projects is to be able to produce Diagrams and Reports for sub-branches of your family tree, then that is usually quite easy with a composite Project.
In the worst case, you may have to use the File > Import/Export > Export > GEDCOM File technique to create a temporary sub-Project, and delete it after producing the Diagrams and Reports, but it does avoid the complicated Merge process.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Genie15
Diamond

Post by Genie15 »

I appreciate your comments.
Being an ex-The Master Genealogist user, where you could have separate projects yet the persons in other projects could be viewed from other projects.
So in my case I kept my family in one project whilst other Kain's were in another.
But this doesn't work in Family Historian.
So may have to put all into one project.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

I have come across this thread while looking at the same question.
I too came from TMG and am not sure what you meant about being able to look at people from two different projects at the same time?
If you mean have two projects open at the same time, one can do the same in fh. Just open fh again and select and open a different project.