*Some data fields incorrect importing from older version of FH

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
BrunoRadolini
Family Historian: V6.2

Some data fields incorrect importing from older version of FH

Postby BrunoRadolini » 12 Sep 2017 18:49

Hi, this is my first post on here, so please be gentle.
I'm a long term user of FH (since version 2.1 back in 2004), but haven't used it in about a year since I changed PCs and didn't have all the necessary disks to follow my upgrade path from 2.1 to whatever version 4 I last upgrade to in about 2009.

Anyway, I just downloaded the latest trial version (6.2), ran it up, pointed it at my old projects folder and loaded my family project.
The log shows a number of "information" type errors like this:

Record Type=Individual. Gedcom Id=I239. Record Number=239.
l.3305 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "1 MILI Killed at Gallipolli in 1915"

Record Type=Family. Gedcom Id=F4. Record Number=4.
l.15871 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "1 ADDR John Richard PRICE"
l.15875 - INFO ONLY: Loaded uncategorised data (non-GEDCOM): "1 PHON <phone number was here>"

Most of the errors seem to be military stuff, address and phone numbers.
Then, on a number of records, the first line of the address is appearing in "Education"

I have the previous project backed up, so if I load it again, is this something that I can re-wire to have it sorted out automagically, or am I doomed to lots of cut and pasting?

Many thanks.

tatewise
Megastar

Re: Some data fields incorrect importing from older version of FH

Postby tatewise » 12 Sep 2017 19:11

Hi Bruno, welcome to the FHUG.
I have moved this to the FH General Usage Forum because Importing and Exporting is for "Importing from or exporting to another genealogy program".

Whenever there is a major upgrade to the FH program, such as this case from V4.1 to V6.2, FH automatically revalidates the GEDCOM file and produces a report.

In your case it appears that those non-standard GEDCOM codes were imported from another genealogy program into your Project with FH V4.1, which should have reported them then, but as that was many years ago you may have forgotten or overlooked that.

However, those codes have been retained in your GEDCOM database, and will be exactly the same now as they were before, and reverting to any previous backup will make no difference.

There are some well established techniques for locating and correcting those codes. However, the most efficient tools to do that are called Plugins, and they are the one feature NOT supported by the FH 30-Day Free Trial that you are currently using. So the first step is to purchase a licence from Calico Pie and reinstall FH with that licence key. Then we can advise how to automagically sort out your problem codes.

As a newcomer to FH V6 I strongly suggest you study Knowledge Base > Key Features for Newcomers which includes advice about Plugins. You should also study Knowledge Base > Handling Uncategorised Data Fields (UDF) which is what those codes are called.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history.

BrunoRadolini

Postby BrunoRadolini » 12 Sep 2017 19:20

Hi Mike

Many thanks for the quick reply and moving my post to the correct forum :)

I'll have a browse through those wiki pages now.

tatewise
Megastar

Postby tatewise » 12 Sep 2017 20:04

If you still have your FH V4 licence key and it was purchased from Calico Pie, then you can buy a slightly cheaper V4 to V6 Upgrade licence (£29.99 instead of £35.99). You don't need the FH V4 installation disc, just the licence. If you have lost the licence then Calico Pie may be able to send it again if you follow the Knowledge Base > Mislaid Licence Details or Software Download advice.

BrunoRadolini

Postby BrunoRadolini » 13 Sep 2017 11:06

Thanks, I spoke to Calico Pie last year about reinstalling v4 and hit a problem because all my codes were upgrade codes, so I needed them all and didn't have some of them.
To be honest, I'm not too worried about paying an extra few quid :)

tatewise
Megastar

Postby tatewise » 13 Sep 2017 12:07

BUT with FH V6 you do NOT need the earlier media or licence keys, except for the one preceding licence key.

So if you buy the V4 to V6 Upgrade ALL YOU NEED is the upgrade Media, the V4 licence key, and the V6 licence key, because Calico Pie came to realise that reinstalling from V2 was unacceptable, so with V5 they introduced this new scheme. See Knowledge Base > Family Historian Installation Advice.

Return to “General Usage”