*Duplicated records on All Relatives diagram

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
johncorbishley
Family Historian: V6

Duplicated records on All Relatives diagram

Postby johncorbishley » 09 Sep 2017 16:23

I have imported a GEDCOM file from an older (XP) PC into FH V6. I've been happily using it and building on that information for about 6 months. I then tried to move a record, I had a daughter with the wrong father. All of a sudden I had a diagram with people duplicated and lots of curved coloured lines on my diagram.

I've no idea,what I did but I cannot get rid of them, I don't know what they are called so I cannot find any help about them. I've looked through manuals and help topics and cannot see anything that looks like what I've got. I tried to restore a backup but they appear on that to.

HELP!!!

John Corbishley

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Duplicated records on All Relatives diagram

Postby tatewise » 09 Sep 2017 17:38

Welcome to the FHUG John.

Those coloured ribbons link duplicated boxes on Diagrams.
They are governed by Diagram > Options > General tab Check for duplicates and the Options button alongside.

They are NOT caused not by duplicated records, but by multiple relationships, where the duplicated boxes show the same person related in two different ways to others in the Diagram. Sometimes it is genuine, where in past generations for example distant cousins have married. In your case it is probably due to a mistake as a result of trying to move the daughter.

Before trying to unpick the current database, let's see if we can retrieve a backup.
How exactly did you try and restore a backup?
Was it an FH backup or a Windows backup?
If an FH backup, did you use File > Backup/Restore > Restore Backup?
Was it a Project Backup or a Gedcom Only Backup?
If it was a Project Backup are there now multiple Projects in the File > Project Window but with different suffixes?
How many FH backups have you created recently, and did you choose one dated prior to your disruptive changes?

Another recovery option is File > Backup/Restore > Revert to Snapshot.
Choose a Snapshot Taken before your disruptive changes and click Revert to Snapshot.
Does that recover the situation?

When normal service is resumed, we need to discuss how to make the family relationship changes you desire, before you go wrong again.

As a newcomer I advise you study Knowledge Base > Key Features for Newcomers.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history.

pwe
Famous

Postby pwe » 09 Sep 2017 18:25

John,
The coloured lines are called Linking ribbons.
There is some information about them on page 94 of the book "Getting the most from Family Historian 5" This is not included in FH version 6 but is a free download from the FH website. Much of the information in this is applicable to version 6 so it is worth keeping a copy to hand.

http://www.family-historian.co.uk/downl ... ad-archive

Another source of information about Linking Ribbons is the FH help file associated with the programme and accessed via the "help" command and then select "Family Historian help". Use the search facility in this help file to search for "duplicate options" (including the quotes) to give you the relevant page.
Peter E

johncorbishley

Postby johncorbishley » 11 Sep 2017 20:52

Thank you MIke thats a brilliant, full response.
I had used the "FH backup, File > Backup/Restore > Restore Backup" and I'd done it twice so I ended up with a .....tree (2) and a ....treee (3)
What I hadn't done, until just now was to open the project properly so I was still looking at the default tree with the linking ribbons on.

Having just opened the restored projects I'm back to my original diagrams. I suspect I now need to delete the original and (3) as (2) should be just before the mistake and (3) will have gone back a bit further.

Any advice on these deletions would be appreciated but I will check the Knowledge base now

Thanks also to Peter E for his help with the user manual v5 and help. Now I know they are Linking ribbons I stand a chance.

Thank you both.

John C

tatewise
Megastar

Postby tatewise » 11 Sep 2017 21:41

OK John, so now you have a Project restored to your satisfaction.
Use the File > Project Window > More Tasks > Delete Project command to delete the redundant Projects.
Then use File > Project Window > More Tasks > Rename Project to remove the (2) suffix from satisfactory Project.
In each case select the Project in the Project Window before using More Tasks...

I think, originally you were trying to move a daughter from one father to another.
However, you don't mention the mother, so was she the partner of both men?

Anyway take a look at Knowledge Base > Adjusting Family Relationships.
See Knowledge Base > Removing Unwanted Relations that explains how to Unlink Record of a child from their parents.
Then you can link that child Individual record to the correct pair of parents.

If you need more detailed advice then do ask.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history.

johncorbishley

Postby johncorbishley » 12 Sep 2017 11:34

Thanks Mike, Done all that and I'm back on track.

Regards John C

Return to “General Usage”