*Renaming pictures

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.1

Renaming pictures

Postby E Wilcock » 08 Sep 2017 08:12

I linked a group photo of 25 people and each person in it to the individual shown. Extremely useful as a fh diagram now shows who is there and which families are missing.
When I changed (shortened) the name of this photo using Windows the connection to fh was lost.
I have returned to the former name and the links are restored.

Is there any way of correcting the Windows name of this jpg file without removing the many links already created within fh?

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Renaming pictures

Postby tatewise » 08 Sep 2017 08:43

There is only one link in FH within the Media record to your group photo file.
It is the Media record that is linked to the 25 Individual records, and that is unaffected by the change you want to make.

In the Records Window on the Media tab find the Media record that links to your photo file.
Open its Property Box and the Linked File box refers to your photo filename.

Click the [...] button to the right of the Linked File box to open the Select file dialogue.
Browse to find and rename that photo file by using say right-click Rename.
Then with that file still selected click the Open button lower right of the Select file dialogue.

That's it - job done!

The general rule here is that most changes are best performed via FH itself.
It is only in rare cases that you need to revert to using Windows File Explorer.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history.

E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.1

Re: Renaming pictures

Postby E Wilcock » 08 Sep 2017 12:07

As always - thank you Mike.
I should mention this is one reason I chose to use fh. One can look at a diagram and see at once who is listed on a group photo. This is a real delight. By seeing the gaps - noticing nuclear families who are not included but might have been present, one can then sometimes identify further people on the picture.

Return to “General Usage”