* Published Report styles for discussion

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Published Report styles for discussion

Post by tatewise »

Regarding the Publish > Narrative Reports > Descendants by Generation, I don't have a problem with Record Notes.
In the Report > Options > Main tab presumably you've ticked Record Notes, Spouse Record Notes, and maybe Spouse Family Notes and Inc Shared Notes.
In the Report every such Note starts a new paragraph preceded by a blank line.
They do NOT run straight on from the last death or burial entry.

I believe your Journal Descendants Detail is customised from Publish > Outline Reports > Descendant Outline.
If you don't want to affect that custom Report, then use Save Report As > Custom Report Type with a new name before you start playing with the customisation Options.
Then, on the Options > Main tab, simply untick the Connecting Lines option to get rid of the lines.
Also, on the Options > Page Layout tab, reduce the Tab Width to reduce the indents.
The Help button on those two tabs explain those customisations.

I am surprised you found no custom Report Types to download.
See fhugdownloads:reporttemplates|> Downloads and Links ~ Report Types that has Descendant Outline with All Events.
Also checkout how_to:index#publishing_reports|> Publishing Reports.

If we can agree the best customisation to match the FTM Journal Report then I can add that to the downloads with tips on further customisation Options.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Mike, I would like that very much. Even without universal agreement. Or it will forever be postponed.

I am confused about your remarks on the reports with all events, because my "Descendants outline" does have already all events and the narrative one too. And I never know which report to select.

May be I need to set the whole programme back to default? I think fh reports are common across all projects.

Please understand I wont have time for much fh today. But I am very keen to sort this out.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Different types of Report have different Installation Settings and my advice usually refers to those settings.
FH lets you customise all the standard Reports, with the confusion you mention, which is why I advise not to customise standard Reports, and instead create your own Custom Report Types. Yes, all Report Options apply to all Projects.

By default, Narrative Reports enable All facts, but Outline Reports only enable a BMD subset of facts.
I assume Narrative Reports imply a full biography, whereas Outline Reports imply a summary.

Which type of Report you choose depends on the style and content of output you want.
See glossary:standard_reports|> Standard Report Types that categorises the Style as Tabulated, Narrative, Indented or List, and identifies what Witness Facts and Family Relationships are included.
Follow the links for each type of report for more details and popular Options.
For a report based on your Sentence Templates including Witness Facts, then use a Narrative Report.
For a report based on your Fact names & fields, that is indented per Generation, then use an Outline Report.

The download Descendant Outline with All Events applies some of those popular Options and a few others.
I suspect your Journal Descendants Detail custom report is rather similar.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Correct, Mike. I did not understand one could save the fh native reports with alterations. With queries one is obliged to save as custom after one has edited them?

It is easy to be misled - Each report is either narrative or tabulated. One cannot switch from one style to the other.
My Journal report is tabulated but includes all facts. You kindly made it for me Mike.
However, I may have misunderstood that a tabulated report does not include witness facts?

And if correct, in fh there is no way of getting one?

I also remember now why I wanted to save editable reports. i.e. not pdf. It is to overcome the problem of repeated long source or source citations for users who have transcribed full household census entries in their previous software.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, standard Queries are the exception to the rule that standard features (Diagrams, Reports, Facts, etc) can be customised.

Yes, each type of Report has a set Style that cannot be altered.

Only Narrative Reports include Witness Facts, and none include Timeline Facts.

It is just about possible to customise Narrative Reports to be similar to Outline Reports and include Witness Facts.
BUT it involves customising the Sentence Template of every Tools > Fact Type that you use, and requires some extra ingenuity if you wish to retain the standard Narrative style. It is not to be undertaken lightly.

P.S.
It ought to be possible to avoid repeated Sources entries, either by ensuring the Citations are identical, or by merging duplicated Source records. Please start a new thread to investigate possible strategies.