* Publishing all data in Book form

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Publishing all data in Book form

Post by E Wilcock »

I have just after much searching of both the Forum and Knowledge Base failed to find the Post in which one user described how he set up the Publish Book report to include everything in his Project.

Can anyone else please find that forum Post or information?
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Publishing all data in Book form

Post by tatewise »

I suspect it is Creating attractive books (14367).

Remember that a Book is largely a collection of Reports and Diagrams.
So you need to have a good idea of what types of Reports and Diagrams you want to use.
i.e. Individual Summary Reports, Family Group Sheets, Narrative Reports, All Relatives Diagrams, etc...

BTW:
To keep track of useful postings then use Bookmark topic in spanner icon at the base of the page.
Then to recall click your username top right and choose View Bookmarks.
This is similar in concept to bookmarking a web page in your browser.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Thank you Mike - no I didnt know about book marking threads.

Plus it was my mistake thinking it was a book. It was a fh website which was then converted to epub format, as described in the Forum thread gedcom files and ipad (5571)

and a subsequent spin off Creating an eBook from FH data (15103).
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=15103&p=79131&hilit=epub#p79131
I should paste in links but I am having trouble with my computer and the mouse.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Maybe it is just me, but when I start using a new utility such as these Forums, I explore all the buttons & options, the FAQ and user guides, so I know what features are available that I might find useful ~ it is not rocket science!

The quick way to create a link to a Forum Topic or a Knowledge Base section, is to click the asterisk * to left of a Topic Title, or to right of the KB breadcrumb TRACE bar, or the chain link icon to right of each KB heading, and copy the topic shortcut that can be pasted into any Forum posting.
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

Sorry, Mike, but there are many more ways of learning a program or website -- some people like you learn by exploring; others like me learn by reading; and yet others (like my OH) learn by doing; still others learn best by watching/listening; and others learn by being told/shown.
AnneEast
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by AnneEast »

ColeValleyGirl wrote:Sorry, Mike, but there are many more ways of learning a program or website -- some people like you learn by exploring; others like me learn by reading; and yet others (like my OH) learn by doing; still others learn best by watching/listening; and others learn by being told/shown.
I agree with that Helen. A good teacher should be able to identify which type of learner a person is and tailor the teaching accordingly. Having said that the majority of people will have a mixture of learning styles. No disrespect to Mike who is not (at least don't think so) a teacher.
Anne
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I thought that might prompt some interesting responses, and I appreciate that we are all different.
No Anne, I am not a teacher, but do 'instruct' others at my computer club.
I did prefix my comment with "Maybe it is just me" and not only do I explore, but also read FAQ and User Guides diligently, and have always done so throughout my career.
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

Well, I did manage to put links in my last post, but my mouse or my computer is on the blink so that for some reason the reply I wrote yesterday seems not to have been posted. It may have appeared elsewhere. So if this is double posted, please forgive me.
I wanted to thank the people who sprang to my defence. I was grateful. Yes, I have a poor memory. I learn software - TMG and later fh- by plunging in and actually using it - Learning features as I need them - And even then, I may have forgotten next day - If I havent done something for a time, I have to learn all over again.
But it seemed urgent to correct the idea that Mike is not an excellent teacher. Two or three people on this forum have constantly been there to guide me, and foremost among them has been Mike. Sure he guides users to the official help headings, but he knows I personally flounder with Help and Search. Again and again has taught me how to do things with instructions that are simple and direct. One of the great things about Mike is that he has never once made me feel stupid nor told me that doing something I would like to do in fh is beyond my reach.

Now back to the problem solving. I was looking for fh publishing (which Mike had taught me uses the Facts Tab order of events) as a way to pass a complete research project to another researcher, avoiding the need to re-export my undated data. In the end I was able to do it via Mike's Export plug in, so the rest of this post belongs in the plug in section.
sheepdip11
Platinum

Post by sheepdip11 »

I must agree and take this opportunity to thank Mike. When I have been out of my depth Mike would explain checks & solutions clearly and patiently and wouldn't give up on me until we cracked it. Peter