* Bankruptcy

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
joanchop
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Bankruptcy

Post by joanchop »

Hi
I have a couple of members of my tree who were declared bankrupt, which I found in the London Gazette and am wondering how to show this in 'facts'. Have any other members come across this and how did you treat it please?

Researching surname Istance (ONS)
One Name Study - Istance (http://istance.one-name.net/)
Family Tree Surnames - Lyall, Phelps, Mackey
LornaCraig
Megastar

Re: Bankruptcy

Post by LornaCraig »

I would create a custom Fact called Bankruptcy and enter the significant details in the Note field for the fact. The Source will be the article in the London Gazette and if you have an image of the article attach it to the Source record. You could also type a transcription of the text into the Text from Source field of the Source record.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The only alternative is to create a custom Fact called Miscellaneous or General to cater for all such minority events.
You will have to specifically word the Sentence box for each such Fact to say what you want in Narrative Reports if you use them.

The Source Citation, etc, will be the same as Lorna advises.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

Very similar to Lorna's practice from me....

I have a Custom fact "Bankrupt" (which is actually of type Event). If you use Narrative Sentences, then you might care to note that my Narrative sentence is

Code: Select all

<para>{individual} was bankrupt< {date}>.
From the way that sentence is made up, it's clear that the typical entry would be to record that someone was bankrupt from one date to another - with luck the Gazette entries will tell you when someone was made bankrupt, and when they were discharged - so there should be more than one Gazette entry under normal circumstances (doesn't mean that you can find them all!).

The other thing is that strictly Insolvent Debtors are not the same as Bankrupts, so just make certain which variety you have - Bankrupts are supposed to owe money for business reasons, while Insolvent Debtors owe money for personal reasons. Though in the one case that I have, I don't know why he was an Insolvent Debtor when I'd have guessed that it was a business debt.

The point is that I also have a Custom fact "Insolvent" (again, of type Event). And if you use Narrative Sentences, then you might care to note that my Narrative sentence for this one is

Code: Select all

<para>{individual} was insolvent< {date}>.
NB - my sentences start a new paragraph.
Adrian
joanchop
Diamond

Post by joanchop »

Thank you all for your replies. You have given me just what I needed.
Regards
Joan

Researching surname Istance ONS
dewilkinson
Superstar

Post by dewilkinson »

Just to add to this I too have created a Bankruptcy fact but my sentence is a bit different,

<para>{individual} appeared <at the {_place}> {date} {note}

and I include what ever happened in the note field,

I also have a Bankruptcy Sale fact with sentence

Following bankruptcy a sale took place {date} <at {_place}> {note}

Likewise I describe what was sold / happened in the note field.

Hope this helps as well.
David Wilkinson researching Bowtle, Butcher, Edwards, Gillingham, Overett, Ransome, Simpson, and Wilkinson in East Anglia

Deterioration is contagious, and places are destroyed or renovated by the spirit of the people who go to them
joanchop
Diamond

Post by joanchop »

Thanks David, much appreciated.
Cheers
Joan