* Not re-starting after using AS

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
phende
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Not re-starting after using AS

Post by phende »

For the last couple of days, when I use AS for census entries, the program has failed to restart once AS has done its job. AS shuts down and, on the FH records screen (which is the one I use for data entry), I get the usual message about the file having been updated and do I want to re-load. When I say Yes, the screen blanks, as per usual, but it does not re-open. Re-open manually and everything is fine. This coincides with an update to Windows 10, the one to upgrade .NET Framework to 4.7. This had taken several attempts before a successful upgrade. Could it be the cause of the failure to re-start?
phende
Platinum

Re: Not re-starting after using AS

Post by phende »

Further info:
I just did another census entry. This time, I minimised FH before completing the AS entry. I got the reload question as usual and clicked Yes. The FH icon remained in the task bar and when I clicked on it, it came up OK.
So, the rogue behaviour occurs when I am using AS in front of the Records window so that, when AS returns control to FH, the Records window gets the focus automatically.
I am using AS 6.4 but the problem occurs after AS has given up control, which is why I am posting here rather than the AS forum.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I don't think I have had an update ofd .NET Framework to 4.7 and I don't have the problem on Windows 10.

I presume you mean you have AS V5.2.0 and FH V6.2.5?

Not sure if FH uses .NET Framework, but AS certainly does.
However, I think programs are coupled with the .NET Framework version they are built and installed with.

You could try re-installing FH V6.2.5 and AS V5.2.0 which may fix it and should do no harm.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
phende
Platinum

Post by phende »

Thanks for your input, Mike. Sorry about the confusion on version numbers. I am on FH 6.2.5 and AS 5.2.0. I managed to transpose the version number of the plug-in from 4.6 to 6.4.
Things may be settling down. I did another census, this time with AS on top of the Records window. When it came to re-start, It did reload the revised file automatically but left a blank property box (ie as a rectangle with nothing in it). This is nearly the normal behaviour.
I've seen somewhere else that .NET sets about re-organising things in the background after an upgrade. It does this piecemeal during idle times. Let's see what happens tomorrow.