* Restore My FH Project File to a Relative's Computer

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
BobWard
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Restore My FH Project File to a Relative's Computer

Post by BobWard »

My nephew just bought a new Windows 10 PC. He plans to do the online purchase of Family Historian in the next few days.

His goal is to upload my FH project file in order to get an instant family tree database. I use Win7Pro.

It would seem that all I have to do is to send him a copy of my current FH Full Backup zip file. So, he would then just open his copy of FH and chose the Restore option and select my zip file and he should then have my FH project database. I realize that he would not have any of my customizations by going this route, but he will probably want to do his own customizations anyway.

Have I missed anything here in what appears to be a simple transfer of a project file to a relative?
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: Restore My FH Project File to a Relative's Computer

Post by Jane »

That's it. The full backup will include everything other than your custom items.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You might need to think about your customisations that he may need.

Have you defined any Custom Facts or added any Witness Roles or just refined some Sentence Templates?
Without those, some facts may not be presented very well, even on the Facts tab, never mind in Reports and Diagrams.

Also to include those Facts in Reports and Diagrams he may need advice from you about your customisations.

Are there any custom Property Box Tabs that he may need in order to manage any of your data?

Beyond those, you are probably correct that he can manage without your customisations to begin with.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
BobWard
Superstar

Post by BobWard »

I have created Custom Facts for some events. Will those not come across with a Restore from a Full Backup zip file?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The raw Custom Fact data per person will come across, but the Tools > Fact Types definition will not.
Similarly for any Witness Roles you have created.

So the Narrative Sentence will be poorly constructed and other features undefined.
e.g.
If the Custom Fact were a Registration Event then the sentence will default to He experienced registration ...
The Normal Time Frame would be undefined, and any Witness Roles would be undefined.

Also it will not be obvious how to add such an undefined Custom Fact to another person, because it will not appear in the Fact Types list, unless Show Hidden is ticked.

But also any other changes you have made to standard facts will not exist.

What you need to do is use File > Import/Export > Export > Fact Set for each Fact Set you have customised, both Standard and Custom, then your relative can Import them.
BobWard
Superstar

Post by BobWard »

Well then, I guess I should just use the procedures outlined in "migrating my files to a new computer" and have him follow that protocol so that all my customizations come across properly and nothing gets lost in the migration. I will have to brush up on that procedure and tell him to do likewise.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, see how_to:family_historian_migration_guide|> Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide and ancestralsources:ancestral_sources_migration_guide|> Ancestral Sources Migration Guide which I suspect he will also need.
BobWard
Superstar

Post by BobWard »

Mike, I just ran the Backup & Restore Family Historian Settings Plug-In to get a current backup of my FH settings.

It ran to successful completion to my internal hard drive (C:). However, when I tried to set the Plug-In backup path to my external hard drive, I get the attached message about "no write access". I save FH Full Backups to this external drive on a daily basis with no warnings about "write access" problems.

Is there some option on the Plug-In that I need to select in order to allow it to write to my external hard drive?
Attachments
FH Settings Back-up File Path.JPG
FH Settings Back-up File Path.JPG (76.4 KiB) Viewed 8142 times
NigelBrown
Diamond

Post by NigelBrown »

Bob,

Comparing your screenshot with my settings, you should tick to "Allow Restore Registry Data".

Nigel
Nigel Brown - https://vousden.one-name.net
Vousden One-Name Study - https://vousden.one-name.net
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The Allow Restore Registry Data option has absolutely nothing to do with Backup Data folder permissions.

I suspect you do NOT have write access to the root of the E:\ drive, which usually needs special Administrator privileges.

I suspect you save your FH Backups to some folder within that E: drive and not directly to the root.

I advise you choose the same folder where you save your FH Backups.

If Tools > Preferences > Backup > Default Backup Folder is set to that folder on your E: drive then the Backup and Restore FH Settings Plugin should default to using that folder.
BobWard
Superstar

Post by BobWard »

Yep, that was the problem, Mike. It was originally trying to write to the root of my E drive. After I created an "FH Settings Backup" folder under the root of drive E, everything proceeded without any further issues.
Thanks,
Bob