* To Do List & Tasks Sorting

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
tmwgray
Gold
Family Historian: V7

To Do List & Tasks Sorting

Post by tmwgray »

I have been using FH probably to probably only 10 or 20 % of its capability. Basically keying in data.
I am now trying to use some of the items from downloads and links to help create lists of records that I can use to further my research. Provided I have detailed instructions I am happy to attempt and use the various instructions to create the solutions but I am far from being technically minded.

Using Fam Historian Version 6.2.5.
I have gone through the process to add a To Do Tab in the Property Box and have downloaded and installed the relevant To Do Lists and To Do Tasks.
I have also followed the process to create a Custom Query on the To Do List and used the labels for Birth, Baptism, Census, Marriage and Death which has added five Tabs on the Records Window all titled To Do.
When running the To Do list the Results set has all the columns named correctly ie. Birth, Baptism etc.
Q1 Can these To Do tabs on the Records Window be renamed to reflect Labels they are Birth, Baptism etc. as they appear in the Results set.

In the Results Set the Owner Column has the First Name(s) and Surname in the same column and cannot be sorted by Surname. I have looked at the Sort Fact Query on Owner Surname instructions but I am not sure where I should enter the Column Expressions.
For FH V6 it shows an Expression for Column 1 Type Normal and another for Column 2 type Buddy.
In the Results Set the first column is Owner and the second is Birth, third Baptism etc. I did not think that entering the Column 2 Expression in the Birth Column would be right so I have not attempted to enter this solution to the Sort issue. I could not find a Download for it.
Q2. Any idea how I can do this and where it should be entered?

Running the To Do Tasks I get a pop up box asking for the Label. If I key in death it comes up with all the individuals I need to find a Death for.
Q3. Is this the way it should work? I am presuming it is.

Hopefully I have explained the issues correctly and any help would be appreciated.

Tom Gray
tatewise
Megastar

Re: To Do List & Tasks Sorting

Post by tatewise »

Hi Tom, here are answers to your questions.

Q1: Yes, the Records Window Columns can have whatever Heading you like.
In the Configure Columns dialogue, select each To Do column in turn, and click Edit.
Then set the Heading to match the Label in the Expression and click OK.

Q2: Enter Column 1 and Column 2 exactly as instructed.
A Buddy column is a special hidden column that associates a data reference with the preceding text column.
i.e. It buddies up and merges with the previous column to offer combined functionality.
For more details, with the Query displayed, hit the F1 key, and in the Query Window Help page click the Columns Tab link, where the three column Types are explained.

Q3: Yes.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
tmwgray
Gold

Post by tmwgray »

Hello Mike,
Thanks for the reply and Q1 renaming the To Do tabs worked a treat and I now know Q3 is as it should be. However Q2 the sort by surname still has me baffled. This is what I am working from.
The following Column Expressions work in FH V5 and above:
• =FieldText(FactOwner(%FACT%,1,MALES_FIRST),'INDI.NAME:SURNAME_FIRST') which displays the surname first, and sorts in surname order, but is NOT an active link to the Individual record.
• =Field(FactOwner(%FACT%,1,MALES_FIRST),'INDI.NAME:SURNAME_FIRST') which still displays forenames first, but sorts in surname order, and is an active link to the Individual record.
For FH V6 and above, those two Expressions can be combined into one Result Set Column that exhibits the best features of both:
• 1st Column uses Expression: =FieldText(…) with Sort: None and Type: Normal so appears in Result Set.
• 2nd Column uses Expression: =Field(…) with Sort: Ascending and Type: Buddy so is hidden, but defines the sort order of 1st Column.

If I open the Query Window and select the To Do List and when it appears click on the column tab this is what my column set up looks like.
Columns
Heading Expression Sort Type
Owner =GetRecord()
Birth Tasks =GetLabelledText(%FACT.NOTE2%,”Birth:”) None Normal
Baptism Tasks =GetLabelledText(%FACT.NOTE2%,”Baptism:”) None Normal
Census Tasks =GetLabelledText(%FACT.NOTE2%,”Census:”) None Normal
Marriage Tasks =GetLabelledText(%FACT.NOTE2%,”Marriage:”) None Normal
Death Tasks =GetLabelledText(%FACT.NOTE2%,”Death:”) None Normal

Should it look like the following when the changes are applied? Not sure about Col 1 & 2 bit. Do I need two columns titled Owner as shown below?
What is the difference between an Active link and a non-active link and is one better than the other?

Columns
Heading Expression Sort Type
Owner =FieldText(FactOwner(%FACT%,1,MALES_FIRST),'INDI.NAME:SURNAME_FIRST') None Normal
Owner =FieldText(FactOwner(%FACT%,1,MALES_FIRST),'INDI.NAME:SURNAME_FIRST') Ascending Buddy
Birth Tasks =GetLabelledText(%FACT.NOTE2%,”Birth:”) None Normal
Baptism Tasks =GetLabelledText(%FACT.NOTE2%,”Baptism:”) None Normal
Census Tasks =GetLabelledText(%FACT.NOTE2%,”Census:”) None Normal
Marriage Tasks =GetLabelledText(%FACT.NOTE2%,”Marriage:”) None Normal
Death Tasks =GetLabelledText(%FACT.NOTE2%,”Death:”) None Normal

Sorry to be pest but my 74 year old brain ain't as sharp as it used to be.

Tom Gray
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Tom, you are almost perfect, but not noticed that the Buddy 2nd column uses =Field(...) and not =FieldText(...).
i.e. The word Text is omitted from the function name in the 2nd column of both the V5 and V6 examples.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
tmwgray
Gold

Post by tmwgray »

Mike,

I have followed all the details and it is working great. I also re-did the To Do Task query so that it also sorts on surname.
Thank for spotting the discrepancy in the 2nd (Buddy) Expression.

Many thanks for your excellent help.

Tom Gray