* Diagram: inserting background image

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
inchtalla
Platinum
Family Historian: V7

Diagram: inserting background image

Post by inchtalla »

Is it possible to insert a background image to a diagram? I was thinking of putting a map of the family parish as a background.
Thanks
Jane
Site Admin

Re: Diagram: inserting background image

Post by Jane »

With the diagram displayed, select Diagram>Insert into Diagram and select Picture.

Alternately you can set a tiled picture background using Diagram>Options and setting the image as a background there.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

In Diagram > Options > Background > Picture > Options as well as Tile, you can try Centre, Stretch and Zoom, and also set the Fade.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

The only limitation with the diagram background is it always puts the image on each page, which is sometimes not what you want.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
inchtalla
Platinum

Post by inchtalla »

Thanks Jane and Mike. I'd got as far as options > background but had gone straight to options rather than click on the options in Generation stripes box.
Many thanks
Anthony F
Family Historian: V6

Post by Anthony F »

(New user!) I am trying to insert an image as a background covering the whole page. As I understand it, I have two options: watermark or background image. If I use watermark it comes out as a postage stamp on my DIN A1 page!
If I use 'diagram/options/background/image/fade=60%' no background image is visible on my diagram or on the print preview.

What am I doing wrong?
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Have you checked the File>Page Setup and made sure you have "Print Background" ticked?
Jane
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Re the 'postage stamp' sized watermark version, you should be able to click on the image to make the small white squares appear at the corners, then drag one corner to enlarge the image.

With the diagram/options/background/image/fade=60% version, did you remember to click OK or Apply before closing the Diagram Options dialog?
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I think the two alternatives have got a bit confused.
Watermark and Background are NOT the two options.
Both options below allow the faded watermark mode.
  1. Diagram Options > General tab > Background
    Having chosen Picture in drop-list the Options button allows Stretch to fill page, but Tile, etc, are alternatives.
    The Fade Image % setting turns it into a watermark background.
    This setting can be saved as part of a reusable Custom Diagram Type.
  2. Diagram > Insert into Diagram > Picture
    This is for inserting photos, etc, anywhere in a Diagram and when selected the 8 handles can be dragged to resize.
    The Fade Image (%) setting also turns it into a watermark, similar to the Background option.
    Multiple Picture images can be inserted into any Diagram.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Mike, I think Anthony means your option 1 by Background and your option 2 by Watermark because the FH help files use that term when discussing formatting an image inserted into a diagram. (Although as you say, the fade/watermark option is the same with the Background method)
Lorna