* view PDF files

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Cowilf
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

view PDF files

Post by Cowilf »

Good morning

I have scanned in several documents as PDF files. In Windows 10 Explorer I can see them easily in the preview pane. Is there a possibility to view them from within FH?

Tx
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: view PDF files

Post by Jane »

FH does not support viewing PDFs as they are not image files.

Once you have attached them use the green play button to open them in your PDF viewer.

If they are single page PDFs the other option is to convert them to images.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

See how_to:v4:adding_multimedia|> Adding Photographs and Other Multimedia under Adding Other Media for full details that explain how to add PDF and how to view them.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Cowilf
Gold

Post by Cowilf »

Tx. I was already afraid no preview would be possible. I normally make jpg from my documents, but PDF has the advantage of putting several pages together... I will use the play button to see them.
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

Cowilf wrote:... PDF has the advantage of putting several pages together... I will use the play button to see them.
Yes, I convinced myself, rightly or wrongly, that the issue with PDF files compared to JPG files is that it's easy to find out the size of a JPG image to show in reports or charts or previews, etc... Whereas with a PDF you have to get the software to open the thing up and just go through it, and not until that process is finished do you know how big the thing is. Which may be a bit late when creating a chart, etc.
Adrian
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

I have just downloaded a probate and will. These are in PDF in a number of pages
I opened the file and used snapped my screen. I could snap one whole page. Just part of a page
Opened it on my photo software. Snapped the other half of the page. Opened that in the same photo software
I then extended the boarders of the first snap. That is made the lower part bigger (using the photo software
I then pasted the second snap 'as new selection' over the blank part of the extended first snap.
This completed the first page of the probate. I saved this page.
Did the same for all the other PDF pages. Once completed added them to the tree under probate fact

Victor
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

victor,

There are utilities that can do it much easier. I use PDF Exchange Editor. It is free. It has an option to export an image from a PDF and create a .jpg file which I use all the time.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

fhugdownloads:contents:irfanview|> Utility ~ IrfanView with the Ghostscript add-on allows the PDF to be viewed page by page and each page saved as a JPG or PNG very easily.
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

I'm not sure about IrfanView, but PDF Exchange Editor will allow you to save just an image on the page as a .jpg file. You do not need to save the entire page unless you want to. It will also allow you to save all pages as individual .jpg files at once without having to view them all.
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

Bill

I have had a look at PDF Exchange Editor . It asks to register and buy.
I can't find a free version

Victor
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Victor,

You do not need to register and pay. Just download the file and install it. There are a few features that only work if you pay, but most features work fine without paying.
victor
Superstar

Post by victor »

I have downloaded the file worked on it but it wont let me progress any further unless I register it.
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

You could also try

https://pdf2jpg.net/

it is free and online, I have been using it for several years
arthurk
Superstar

Post by arthurk »

I use PDF-XChange Editor too - the link to the home page from the Help menu takes you to:

https://www.tracker-software.com/produc ... nge-editor

Here you have a choice between the free version and the paid-for Plus version.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I must admit I am confused.
Whichever way I navigate through the pages, it ends up here:
https://www.tracker-software.com/produc ... fileid=549
and that page demands $43.50 single user licence for PDF-XChange Editor. (The Plus version costs even more.)

Its introduction at the very top of that page does say FREE PDF editor/viewer.
But where exactly is the free download?

I have added KB page fhugdownloads:contents:utility_pdf-xchange_editor|> Utility ~ PDF-XChange Editor, but if not actually FREE that will need correcting.
arthurk
Superstar

Post by arthurk »

tatewise wrote:I must admit I am confused.
Whichever way I navigate through the pages, it ends up here:
https://www.tracker-software.com/produc ... fileid=549
and that page demands $43.50 single user licence for PDF-XChange Editor. (The Plus version costs even more.)

Its introduction at the very top of that page does say FREE PDF editor/viewer.
But where exactly is the free download?
I don't need to download another version at the moment, but what happens if you click the left-hand Download button (use the down arrow to select which version you need)? For me in Firefox that brings up the usual file download dialogue.

As far as I can remember, all you do is download the file, then run/install it, but having done that, don't do anything about registering or licensing it. Just above the download buttons it says this:
Around 85% of the features require no license to use.
Approx 15% of the advanced features which are clearly identified will place a trial watermark on output if used without a license
So they obviously expect it to be used for free in that way - I think it's only business users and those who want the advanced features who are expected to pay.
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

@Mike

If you just click the large green download button there are several options there just click one of them and the download starts. I didn't follow through as it is no good for my Mac but the download certainly started without me paying anything.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, I can get the Download, but that is usually the case even with Paid For Licence products.
However, either the install process demands a licence (like FH) or it does so after a trial period.
It is a pity the T & C for the FREE Download usage are not made much clearer on the web page.
I shall add some notes to the KB in way of explanation.
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

I am glad you got it figured out. When I last downloaded it, I just installed it and ran and it worked fine for me. I'm out of town for awhile so am not near a computer. I've been using the program for about ten years and have not had to pay anything. It has a lot of capabilities.
goodwin2
Famous

Post by goodwin2 »

OMG - I was just able to download, install and open a PDF file with the program suggested here. Didn't linger long on that file as I was so amazed that I could actually get the thing and it WORKS. So thought I'd share this with you. I used the link found here, got to the website. Originally clicked on the Download on the left. It appeared to work but when I got to my desktop a file was there but said download did not complete. No Norton was not hissy fitting THIS time. Tried again with the same result. Said oh well, one more try. Back to the website. Clicked the download on the right this time, it did download, again a file on my computer, said open and got some negative response. Said open with ZIP program - and it worked. Installed and now working. Got the usual agree with the terms, etc. but nothing else than that required to complete the process. Not SURE if this is a "trial version and won't work after a certain time". Will get back on the website and see if they lay it all out as to the "free" version.

Just had to BRAG - usually I end up totally frustrated with this type of thing but this time I got results in a fairly short period of time.
GSB
Denis
Gold

Post by Denis »

I think I can add a bit of clarification about PDF Exchange Editor in case this helps anyone.

The application is indeed genuinely free, but the purchase of a licence unlocks several additional features. The downloaded file is the same in both cases, but during installation you can opt to use the application in free/evaluation mode. I'm afraid I can't remember whether the "Pro" features are unlocked for a trial month. After any trial period they'll be indicated as "Pro" or "Licensed" on the menus. There's an option in Preferences > Registration to hide them if you're not interested.

I've been using the licensed version of this software for years and really appreciate the range of features, including cropping pages, splitting or combining PDF files, making a new PDF from image files or reversing this process, OCR, not to mention extensive annotation capabilities. It's one of a small handful of applications that I initially used in free versions and then upgraded: partly for the extra features, but also to thank the developers.
furnex

Post by furnex »

johnmorrisoniom wrote: 23 May 2017 07:48 You could also try

https://pdf2jpg.net/

it is free and online, I have been using it for several years
This was perfect for me, nothing to install, simple and fast, thank you for sharing.
trevorrix
Famous

Post by trevorrix »

I can right click a .pdf file and Open With > IrfanView as a .jpg - quick and easy without going anywhere else.
Trevor Rix
trevorrix
Famous

Post by trevorrix »

trevorrix wrote: 16 Oct 2021 08:59 I can right click a .pdf file and Open With > IrfanView as a .jpg - quick and easy without going anywhere else.
Also, that method will open a multi page PDF as multiple images.
Trevor Rix
jelv
Megastar

Post by jelv »

Is converting the PDF to a multi-page TIF (which Irfanview will do) an option?

PS It has to be the 32bit version of Irfanview, not the 64 bit.
John Elvin