* Unrecognised file format

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
fulhamnut
Family Historian: V5

Unrecognised file format

Post by fulhamnut » 17 May 2017 22:17

Hi,

First Post, so please be gentle.

I'm using v5 and keep my files on a USB stick; with no problems for years. Then, I try to access my file on USB & get message unrecognised file format (although it looks OK)
After several abortive attempts, I use the restore function, which seems to run to completion, but I can't seem to find the restored file. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
David

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Unrecognised file format

Post by tatewise » 17 May 2017 22:41

Welcome to the FHUG David.

Sorry to hear about that problem, but could you gives us a few more clues.

What Windows version are you using? (Windows 10, 8, 7, Vista)

What exactly do you keep on the USB stick?
Is it just a Gedcom file, or a full Project folder structure?

When you say it looks OK, what exactly are you looking at, and what makes you believe it is OK?

What exactly do you mean by the 'restore function'?
Did you use the FH command File > Backup/Restore > Restore Backup?
Where did you tell FH to restore it to?

What type of FH Backup do you save Small Backup (Gedcom Only), Medium Backup (Project & Data folder), Full Backup (Entire Project)?
Do you keep them on the USB stick too?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

fulhamnut

Post by fulhamnut » 20 May 2017 22:17

Thanks Mike,

Thanks for the response. I'm using Win 10; I think I've got the whole project structure on the USB; I used restore project backup and, I didn't know where the backups went (presumably to default). I attach some screenshots of the original problems.

Needless to say, I've spent a lot of time, and think I've located the restored file in Documents/familyhistoryProjects/warnernew
This Folder contains 3 items: public folder, warnernew.fh_data folder, & warnernew.ged. Unfortunately this is not the latest warnernew.ged.
However, when I open the warnernew.fh_datafolder, I find another copy of warnernew with the correct date which looks OK (& green?). I've copied/pasted this folder onto my USB stick, so hopefully can get back to my original set-up.

It looks as though I've managed to get nested files with identical names. I would like to know how this happened & why these files are where they are.also, why the latest .ged logo is green while the older ones are multi-colour. Likewise, why the original file on F (USB) couldn't be read.

I think I can now recover
Thanks Again,
David
Attachments
unrecfileformat.PNG
unrecfileformat.PNG (20.72 KiB) Viewed 1424 times
FHProject Window.PNG
FHProject Window.PNG (11.84 KiB) Viewed 1424 times
FContents.PNG
FContents.PNG (43.45 KiB) Viewed 1424 times

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 21 May 2017 00:20

David,
The tri-colour warnernew is NOT a .ged file but a .fh_proj file, which you would see if you were to show file types.
Nevertheless, the Type column describes it as a Family Historian Project File.
It is a tiny 1KB file that is identical in every Project but must exist to operate correctly.
It will have the Date when the Project was created.

The triple-green warnernew file within the warnernew.fh_data folder is the .ged file.
In the Type column it is described as a Gedcom File.
This is where all your database details reside.
It will have the Date is was last Saved by FH.

It is strange that File > Backup/Restore put the warnernew Project in the \Documents\Family Historian Projects\ folder.
That is the FH default folder, but the Restore Project From Backup dialogue should have set Location to Restore To as F:\ the same as your File > Project Window > Location setting. Because there would have already been a warnernew Project it would set the New Project Name to warnernew (2).

fulhamnut

Post by fulhamnut » 25 May 2017 21:47

Mike,

The information provided is very interesting, and although I don't know why the problem occurred, I now know better how I might recover if it happens again. I've been reluctant to speak too soon, but my system has been stable for some days now, and I'm loading my project files from the USB stick as before.

Thanks Again,
David

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 25 May 2017 21:58

I am glad your Project has been recovered OK.
I know you are not a new user, but some topics in Knowledge Base > Key Features for Newcomers may be new to you, and in particular Project Structure & Location and Backup & Recovery, but do remember a few topics are unique to FH V6.