* reports/books - other language

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
Martfa
Family Historian: V6.2

reports/books - other language

Post by Martfa » 17 May 2017 20:55

Dear Family Historian Users,
I’m considering buying Family Historian, I’ve been testing this application and I met a problem with reports and books creation.
Is there any possibility to create report or book in polish language? I dealt with “fact types” translation, but there are many others fields in English.
I would like to create a family book for my ancestor who doesn’t know English well, but I don’t have any idea how to do this? Is it possible in Family Historian or should I rather find other product supporting polish language?

Martfa

tatewise
Megastar

Re: reports/books - other language

Post by tatewise » 17 May 2017 22:30

Welcome to the FHUG Martfa.

I am afraid the short answer is that FH does NOT support non-English languages very well.

There is Wish List Ref 541 Narrative Sentence options and Reports for other languages that you can Vote on.

That was derived from thread Non-English sentences (12564) that explores various options, cross-refers to earlier threads on similar topics, offers some alternative solutions, and includes quotes from Simon Orde of Calico Pie. Please do read through all the postings to get a full picture.

Also report your need to Calico Pie using the Knowledge Base > Problem Reporting method.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

Martfa

Post by Martfa » 18 May 2017 12:49

Thank you for your reply.

I did not want to hear that... :( I've read recommended posts and other users confirm what you said...
I voted on "Reports for other languages" and left a message using the Knowledge Base, but I'm not too optimistic.

Thanks a lot!
Martfa

E Wilcock
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.1

Post by E Wilcock » 19 May 2017 07:55

I dont know anything about Polish language genealogy software - sorry.

However I do use fh to output reports for people who dont know much English.

Mike Tate designed for me a report (a Journal detail report on all the descendants of one person) that avoided the Narrative format. That means one does not use the sentences (either default or custom) that reside in the Project.
I think the information is easier for non English speakers to read if one sends a report just with the name of the event, followed by the date, place and information.
Some abbreviations remain in English, such as Sp. for spouse, but perhaps you could provide a key for those?

My non-narrative report includes all note and text fields - so if I paste in information or write in German, it comes out in German. Sometimes because my daughters dont speak German, I provide an English translation as well - I have pasted in some Polish frrom the web site of a Polish museum. If I enter sources in German or Polish I get German or Polish source information. In other words, anything you choose to type into fh in Polish will come out in Polish.
I have not tried typing German dates, i.e. the month names in German.

As a newish user of fh, I am not expert at using all the different functions of the software and the plug ins. I think it possible that a search for locations may stumble over Polish place names if they include special characters with the little line thro. But that problem may lie within Google maps. I havent reported to Mike Tate the author of the plug in, as I havent had the time or need to investigate properly. I am dealing with documents from a time when many of these streets and towns had German names. But I mention it here because you are in search of software that will function well in Polish.

If you find this helpful, you might like to experiment a bit more.

Edited to say I have found the previous thread about reports - it is quite complicated and includes me asking lots of unrelated questions, but you may want to refer to it.
viewtopic.php?f=32&t=14920&p=77449&hili ... ail#p77449

Martfa

Post by Martfa » 22 May 2017 09:42

Thank you very much for such a hint. I have to analyze your post.

Regards :)
Martfa