* Expanding individual records

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
SueG26
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Expanding individual records

Post by SueG26 »

Is there a way to expand individual records other than one at a time?
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Expanding individual records

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Sue.

I am not entirely sure I understand your question - it helps to give a bit more detail.

Are you talking about opening the Property Box with tabs Main, Facts, Notes, Media, All across the top?
In which case only one can be open at a time.

Are you talking about in the Records Window on the Individuals tab clicking the [+] expand button on each record?
In which case you must click on each [+] button separately, but many records can be shown expanded at the same time.

I am intrigued as to why you need to expand multiple records.
If it is for comparison purposes, then there are other techniques.
If it is to copy certain details then there are Copy & Paste buttons.

BTW: As a newcomer I advise you study how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers and work through all the topics.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
SueG26
Gold

Post by SueG26 »

What it is Mike - I have Custom ID's attached to every record, and at some stage recently I have also inadvertently given everyone an Automated Record ID so I am removing these one at a time as trying to tidy things up a bit.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK Sue, so your original question should have been: "How do I bulk delete multiple Automated Record Id?"

(I regularly wish users would ask what they actually want to do, rather than ask about a perceived solution.)

The answer is to create a custom Individual Query to display the Automated Record Id in a Column and delete all the values in that column in one go.

Here are the steps :-
  1. Open the Query Window (use toolbar icon or View > Standard Queries > any)
  2. Use top right cog Query Menu > New Custom Query with Query Name = Del Auto Rec Id and Query Type = Individual
  3. On the Columns tab in lefthand Fields, expand Miscellaneous and insert Automated Record Id into the Columns
  4. Run the Query by the blue & white Run Query button in top right toolbar
  5. In the Result Set, click on the Automated Record Id heading to sort and bring all the values together at the bottom
  6. Scroll down to the first value and select its cell, scroll down to last value and while holding down Shft key select it
  7. Now all chosen Automated Record Id values should be shown in blue, so just hit the Delete key or use Edit > Delete
Job done! That is the standard way to bulk delete fields.
SueG26
Gold

Post by SueG26 »

Thank you Mike - I must apologise for my ignorance. I'll try to be a bit more specific with any more queries I may come across.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

From what you say, I suspect you used Tools > Record Identifiers and chose Copy existing record ids into the Automated Record Id field.

If you had realised that was a mistake at the time, and before closing FH, you could have simply used Edit > Undo to reverse that action.
SueG26
Gold

Post by SueG26 »

Ah if only I had realised that at the time - all so easy in hindsight