* Help with V6.2 failure

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Help with V6.2 failure

Post by tatewise »

It seems you must have moved all the files to C:\users\Bill\Documents\Family Historian Projects\ OK.
So C:\users\Bill\Documents\Family Historian Projects\Black Riach Project\Black Riach Project.fh_data does exist.
Otherwise, FH would not be able to open your Projects, which I guess all open OK.
In File > Project Window the Location: should be set to My Documents\Family Historian Projects.

That earlier problem was 3 weeks ago, so is this the first time you have experienced this new problem?
Have you been able to update any Projects in this new location, or is this the first time you have tried?

If the first time, then in moving the folders & files the permissions have been upset so you only have Read access.

So compare the permissions for folders in C:\users\Bill\Documents\ with the folders in C:\Our_Documents\.
Right-click on Family Historian Projects in both root folders and choose Properties and the Security tab.
Check the Groups or user names and their Permissions below where your account should be allowed Full control.
Usually, those Permissions are inherited from the folder above, so once that is corrected all the nested folders & files will be OK.
Tell us what you find, or post screenshots of both locations, and we can explain how to fix it.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
blackbill
Platinum

Post by blackbill »

Thank you Mike
I hadn't tried updating my project until yesterday so I think the problem must have arisen when I changed the file location 3 weeks ago.

I have tried updating the permissions as you suggested but get an error message
"An error occurred while applying security information to:
C:\users\Bill\Documents\Family Historian Projects...\book.fhb
Failed to enumerate objects in the container. Access is denied."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I didn't actually say to make any changes, but just to compare permissions and report back.
So I guess you know what you are doing.

You have not told me what you updated, so how do you expect me to explain the error message?
The book.fhb files are simply plain text files.
Are you the Owner of the .../Family Historian Projects/ branch of folders?
Are you the Owner of the book.fhb files?
blackbill
Platinum

Post by blackbill »

Thank you for your patience.

In the project window I changed the location to My Documents\Family Historian Projects (the default setting)

I then compared the permission settings in folders in C:\users\Bill\Documents\ with the folders in C:\Our_Documents\
(I have a project in C:\Our_Documents\ which allows updates with no problems)

in C:\Our_Documents\ the group/user name had "Authenticated users" which was not included in the group/user name of C:\users\Bill\Documents. Under this group the permission did not include Full Control.

I tried to make the permissions in C:\users\Bill\Documents identical with those in C:\Our_Documents\ and while trying to add Full Control is when I got the error message I quoted in my previous message.

I have now added a group "Authenticated users" to C:\users\Bill\Documents\ and added Full control to every group/user name. It all seems to be working now.

Many thanks for your assistance and advice.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, that sounds good :D