* Duplicate Source Records

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Baboon281
Diamond
Family Historian: V7

Duplicate Source Records

Post by Baboon281 »

I have been reviewing my source records and found a baptismal record I have entered twice what is the best way to delete the most recent entry and renumber my sources so theat the source list is consecutively numbered without any gaps in the numbers.
NigelBrown
Diamond
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Duplicate Source Records

Post by NigelBrown »

First thing to do is to check that the source record you are going to delete is not cited. If it is, change the citation(s) to the source record that will remain.

Once that is done, in the Records Window highlight the source to be deleted, select Edit then select Delete. It will ask you if you are sure. If you are, hit "Yes".

Finally, to renumber your sources so that the source list is consecutively numbered, select Tools, then Record Identifiers, then in Record Type select Sources and you will have six task choices. You want the top one, which is "Generate new record ids by renumbering records starting from 1", and hit "Perform Task".

Job done.
Nigel Brown - https://vousden.one-name.net
Vousden One-Name Study - https://vousden.one-name.net
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Another option is to select the Source record you want to retain and use Edit > Merge/Compare Records.
Then select the duplicate Source record to be merged into retained record.
That will let you check that any details or attached Media are merged from both records.

The Citations of both records will be automatically retained and adjusted correctly.

I would not bother renumbering the records.
I suspect that if you check the Record Id for all the record types Individual, Family, Note, Source, Repository, Media, and Place that many of them will have gaps.
The easy way to check is use File > File Statistics and compare those numbers with the largest Record Id for each type.
Just because they are numbers, do not think of them as any sort of sequence, as they are simply a unique identity.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Baboon281
Diamond

Post by Baboon281 »

Thank you for the quick response all sorted.