* File > Merge/Compare File... crashing Family Historian

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
BillH
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

File > Merge/Compare File... crashing Family Historian

Post by BillH » 11 Feb 2017 02:52

I have two GEDCOM files that I'm trying to merge. Both files were created by exporting from my main project and using Split Tree Helper on them.

I open the first file in FH and then merge the second file into it. I go through the whole process right up until I get the final results window and all looks well. Behind the results window I can tell that the 2nd file has merged into the first file (at least I can see some folks that are on the 2nd file, but not on the 1st) and the results window says the merge ended successfully.

However, when I click on Close on the results window, FH crashes and I get the following window.
image1.jpg
image1.jpg (39.37 KiB) Viewed 3879 times
And then FH closes. When I re-open FH on the project, the merge has been lost, nothing from the 2nd file remains.

I've tried the merge 4 times and it has crashed every time. I even tried re-booting between merges and it still happens.

Any ideas what might be causing the problem or how to track it down?

Thanks!

RogerF
Famous

Re: File > Merge/Compare File... crashing Family Historian

Post by RogerF » 11 Feb 2017 07:46

Exact same thing happened to me last week, except merging two families not files. Did just what you did... crash. Twice. On the third time, I carefully wrote down each step, to be able to notify CP... and the merge worked! Without reproducible evidence, I thought there was no mileage in reporting it.
Roger Firth, using FH to research the FIRTHs of Lancashire and Yorkshire, and the residents of the market town where I live.

davidm_uk
Megastar

Post by davidm_uk » 11 Feb 2017 10:26

One of the files being accessed by another background task maybe (AV, backup, syncing to cloud........)?
David Miller - researching Miller, Hare, Walker, Bright (mostly Herts, Beds, Dorset and London)

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 11 Feb 2017 11:13

It might be difficult to track down without diagnostic aids.
While it is repeatable try reporting to Calico Pie and they have the capability to remote access your PC to diagnose the problem, or take copies of your two GEDCOM files for analysis.

When merging are you checking every tab in the dialogue.

You say merging two GEDCOM files, but later say you re-open FH on the project which is a bit confusing.
Are there any other new files in the folder where the merged GEDCOM reside?

David's idea about background tasks is valid for merging files, but unlikely to apply to Roger merging two Family records.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry

BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH » 11 Feb 2017 17:07

Roger -

I too have had a merge crash occasionally in the past, but never 5 times in a row. This one seems to be repeatable at will.

davidm_uk -

I thought about this, but I don't think that would be the case. I have now tried 5 times over the course of two days and after several reboots and it has crashed every time. I don't sync these files to the cloud automatically or anything like that. I would be a little surprised if something else was accessing one of the files on all 5 occasions.

Mike -

I will report it to Calico Pie and see how they want to proceed.

I went back today and created two new GEDCOM files by using the export dialog and the split tree helper to create each one. I then tried merging them and it crashed again. Since I can repeat it at will, I will report it to Calico Pie and see how they want to proceed.

I am checking every tab in the dialogue although I have just been looking and not changing anything because it all looks OK to me.

I was just confused. I am used to doing everything inside a project. Here I was definitely merging two GEDCOM files and what I meant is that when I re-open the first GEDCOM file, the info from the 2nd GEDCOM file is gone. There are no other new files in the folder.

Thanks!

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 11 Feb 2017 19:28

I assume this is related to creating a file for Ancestry with no facts for living individuals (14691) so there are not even any associated Media files that could be upsetting things.

BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH » 11 Feb 2017 20:09

Mike,

That is true. I went back to my old method of creating two GEDCOM files and merging them. Neither file has any media. Neither file has any repository or note records. What is interesting is that I haven't used the method for about a year or 18 months. When I last used it the merge didn't crash. Not sure what has changed.

I've reported it to Calico Pie and sent them my two GEDCOM files just in case they can use them. Being the weekend, I'm not expecting to hear back for a couple of days. I'll post any updates when I've heard back from them.

Thanks!

BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH » 13 Feb 2017 17:27

I heard back from Calico Pie today. This is what they said...
Thank you for reporting this. We have confirmed that the problem is caused by an obscure bug. We will get back to you about this shortly.
I'll update this when I know more.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 13 Feb 2017 19:32

That is a positive step in the right direction.

trevorrix
Famous

Post by trevorrix » 13 Feb 2017 22:55

I too experienced a repeatable crash when merging two large GEDCOMs yesterday. The merge worked however after creating a new GEDCOM by selecting a subset of recently updated individuals from the second GEDCOM.
Trevor Rix

BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH » 14 Feb 2017 18:02

I heard back from Calico Pie. They sent me an update for FH that fixed the problem. Here is what they said to me.
...it was a rather obscure bug that only arose if you had a particular combination of near matches. Thank you for telling us about it and for getting back to confirm that it's now fixed.
I asked if they would be releasing this to everyone. This is what they said.
It is available to download now from the 'latest free update' page on our website, at http://www.family-historian.co.uk/downl ... ee-upgrade - as well as 6.2.2. For now, we are saying that the latest official release is still 6.2.2 at this point. When 6.2.3 becomes officially the latest version, everyone who clicks 'Check for Updates' on the Help menu within FH, will find out about it. We normally like to make new updates available to early-adopters for a few days, before inviting everyone to upgrade.

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise » 14 Feb 2017 18:32

If anyone else in this thread who has experienced the problem could try the temporary V6.2.3 then that would no doubt help Calico Pie gain confidence in the fix.