* Select Repository... window - any way to simulate clicking on OK using keyboard?

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
BillH
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Select Repository... window - any way to simulate clicking on OK using keyboard?

Post by BillH »

There is something that has frustrated me for a long time. When selecting a repository I can get to the repository I want and select it from the keyboard, but I can't figure out how to simulate clicking the OK button using the keyboard so I have to use the mouse. Hitting the enter key just "expands" the selected repository rather than selecting OK.

I figured if there is a way to do this, someone here would know. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks!
Bill Henshaw
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Re: Select Repository... window - any way to simulate clicking on OK using keyboard?

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

Press Tab until the OK button is highlighted, then hit Enter.
BillH
Megastar

Re: Select Repository... window - any way to simulate clicking on OK using keyboard?

Post by BillH »

John,

Thanks for the reply. For me, as soon as I have selected the repository I want, the OK key is highlighted. However, if I then hit enter, it just expands the repository in the list rather than clicking the OK button. Tabbing doesn't seem to do anything. :(
image1.jpg
image1.jpg (130.38 KiB) Viewed 6766 times
image2.jpg
image2.jpg (120.68 KiB) Viewed 6766 times
Does it work for you? I'm on Windows 10, if it makes a difference.

Thanks
Bill Henshaw
NickiP
Famous

Post by NickiP »

I get the same behaviour on Windows 10 as Bill. I can also only select a repository by clicking on it, if I use the tab from the filter section it just goes across all three sections and back to the first, never goes down. If I click on the selected repository the OK is highlighted but, as for Bill, pressing enter will only expand the selected repository entry. If I try tab from the position of having selected the repository nothing happens. I now tend to double click the selected repository which has the desired effect, omitting the need to click OK. Unsure if it ever worked any differently on Windows 7, too many months since I upgraded.
SunnyLady
Famous
Family Historian: V4

Post by SunnyLady »

Untried suggestion as not on windows 10 ... but perhaps use tab with the shift button held down ... think that how you put a tabbed space (rather than move to next cell) in a table in Word
russellf97
Platinum

Post by russellf97 »

This was something that had bugged me on and off as well! After a bit of experimentation, Alt-O seems to work in 6.2.2 and Win 10.

I did find one box that had the 'O' of OK underlined and Ctrl-O shut that one.

Phil
Phil

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Thanks for the replies.

NickiP - the way I get to the one I want is to just start spelling the name on the keyboard and it positions to the right one or I position to one that is close and then use the down arrow

SunnyLady - shift-tab didn't work for me

Phil - neither alt-o nor ctrl-o worked for me

Thanks
Bill Henshaw
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I cannot find a keyboard shortcut to OK a selected record.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
BillH
Megastar

Post by BillH »

Thanks everyone for your replies. Oh well... I just hate having to switch back and forth between the keyboard and the mouse. Guess that is just the way it will have to be.

Thanks
Bill Henshaw
NickiP
Famous

Post by NickiP »

BillH wrote:Thanks for the replies.
NickiP - the way I get to the one I want is to just start spelling the name on the keyboard and it positions to the right one or I position to one that is close and then use the down arrow
I've got © sign at the beginning of all my Repository records (for display purposes in the Source section of reports) so I tend to use the filter option and part of the Repository record name to reduce down the number of possible entries (rather than having to use the numeric keypad and alt for the copyright sign plus part of the beginning of the repository record). Yes it means using the keyboard and mouse but I've managed to get it down to as short a combination as possible and then just double click the entry.