*Unmarried couples in reports

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
BoslemBoy
Family Historian: V6

Unmarried couples in reports

Postby BoslemBoy » 01 Feb 2017 11:41

Help please: my gt(x3) grandmother Sarah had children by three different fathers. For the first child we don't know the father and so there is no problem in entering the daughter under her mother and no spouse. For the second child we do know the father; however, the parents did not marry and so I have entered the father (George) as a spouse but on the drop down menu I have clicked 'Never Married'. The third child was fathered by Benjamin, and he married Sarah: entering their relationship details and children is simple.

The problem comes every time I try to print out a report for the family. Each report insists that Sarah married George, despite my entry saying 'Never Married'. Furthermore I have ticked the properties box that says Autogenerate... As I understand it that should produce an entry that says 'Sarah and George had a relationship and their daughter Mary was born in 1824' (or something similar).

What trick am I missing?

BB

tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Unmarried couples in reports

Postby tatewise » 01 Feb 2017 12:27

Welcome the FHUG.
You description of the data and settings sounds exactly correct.

Are you sure there is no 'rogue' Marriage Event in the Family record for George and Sarah?
In the Focus Window with George and Sarah in focus what is shown in the blue bar below them?
It should be completely blank except for the Never Married status on right.
Double click that blue bar to open their Family record and check the Facts tab is empty.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history.

BoslemBoy
Family Historian: V6

Postby BoslemBoy » 01 Feb 2017 15:12

Mike

I'm so grateful to you for setting me off in the right direction, and using the focus window rather than just the records one. After an hour and multiple unlinkings / deletions / re-entry and new linking I've now got it sorted. I'd allowed more than one version of the Sarah, George and daughter Mary relationships to creep into the record.

I think the key message to others is to make full use of the focus window to look for discrepancies.

Thanks once again,

BB

Deirdre784
Platinum

Postby Deirdre784 » 09 Oct 2017 21:05

Hi, I'm having the same trouble.... the parents of a child are known, but they never married. I have them marked as 'never married' - tried 'unmarried couple' as well - and the facts box is empty, but my family group sheet lists them as 'husband' and 'wife', with the child, and 'never married' as the status. Then goes on to detail 'husband' and 'wife'.

It looks odd, and I'd like to change it if possible, but I seem to have tried everything I know (other than removing him from the entry).
Deirdre

Deirdre784
Platinum

Postby Deirdre784 » 09 Oct 2017 21:13

Here's a clip of the family group sheet.....
Attachments
FH6 couple not married.PNG
FH6 couple not married.PNG (13.58 KiB) Viewed 408 times
Deirdre

tatewise
Megastar

Postby tatewise » 09 Oct 2017 22:26

Unfortunately, you probably have to tolerate that, and just rely of the Status to make the relationship clear.

There is long standing Wish List Ref 82 Ability to customise Field Titles that you can Vote for.

A partial adjustment involves using the Report > Report Options > Format tab.
Near bottom select Family Member, then Edit, and set Heading Text to %INDI.NAME% so just the Name appears and the labels Husband:, Wife:, and Child *: are removed, except on first two lines.

The only other option is to use Save Report As and edit the Report outside FH.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history.

Deirdre784
Platinum

Postby Deirdre784 » 10 Oct 2017 06:39

Thanks Mike, i'll have a think but will probably leave it as it is.
Deirdre

Return to “General Usage”