* Listing all individuals in a Diagram

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
NigelSomerset
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Listing all individuals in a Diagram

Post by NigelSomerset »

Hi

I wonder if anyone has any advice as to best way to create... if it is possible .......a list or report of all the individuals in a specific diagram (excluding the closed down branches)?

Basically I am then wanting to work through such a list of Ancestors etc to ensure I have those core persons data spot on and no missing gaps in census or 1939 register etc before later on quality checking all the supressed branches.

Only way I can think of at moment is to print the interim tree on loads of sheets of A4 and stick together !

Thanks in advance to those with the experience

Nigel
LornaCraig
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Listing all individuals in a Diagram

Post by LornaCraig »

Create the diagram with all the people you want. Then select all the boxes in the diagram by dragging the mouse to draw a rectangle round them all. Use Edit > Add to Named List.

Use Publish and select whichever report style suits you best, and in the Select Records dialog use the Named Lists tab to select all individuals in the named list. In fact you could bypass the named list and just select them in the diagram then go straight to Publish, and you should find the selected individuals are already populating the Select Records dialog. But the Named List might be useful so you can keep track of which people you have finished work on.

If all you want is a bare list of names, use Publish > Miscellaneous reports > List Report and select the named list.
Lorna
NigelSomerset
Gold

Post by NigelSomerset »

Lorna

Thanks. That's absolutely perfect... and works fine.

Thanks for quick help also.

Nigel ;)
NigelSomerset
Gold

Post by NigelSomerset »

Lorna
Just noticed that the method does not actually exclude from the list created the individuals who reside within closed down (hidden from display) branches of the diagram.

I can probably work round this OK just from knowledge of the surnames of the lead family branches. But just wondered if there is an record marker that a novice could use in trying to apply a filter to exclude the hidden branches from the list?

Nigel
NigelSomerset
Gold

Post by NigelSomerset »

Lorna

Sorry, just seen that I think it does..... forgot to open the records pane to show the smaller list

Problem solved. Thanks again

Nigel
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

I have just checked using a diagram with closed down branches and it definitely only selects the boxes that are visible.
You can check this quickly by looking at the number of people in the list, as shown in the Items column in the List pane, and the number of boxes displayed in the diagram as shown in Diagram > Diagram Statistics.
Lorna
StevieSteve
Platinum
Family Historian: V5

Post by StevieSteve »

Just to offer an alternative approach, I use expressions and icons to show where I DON'T have census and BMD info (actually not M).

Makes gaps visually obvious and doesn't need any upkeep once set up.
NigelSomerset
Gold

Post by NigelSomerset »

Steve

Thanks for the idea. My brain can conceive that is what I am in practice trying to do; Identifying records with gaps in them. But whilst I have in past managed to do the odd series of IFTHEN statements in MSExcel I'm not sure yet that I have enough knowledge how to follow the expression route. I'll have a search of the knowledge base to try and spot a tutorial.

Hopefully the hints which find my past will trigger when I subscribe in next day or so following my tidy up of my database file and move from Ancestry and FTM articles will also give a reasonable focus

Nigel
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Nigel, see how_to:using_flags_and_icons_and_expressions|> Using Flags and Icons and Expressions and how_to:understanding_expressions|> Understanding Expressions for advice about what Stevie is using.

See how_to:internet_data_matches|> Internet Data Matches for hints about 'hints' and other ways of searching for missing documentation by using Plugins that may be more efficient. For example, 'hints' initially take no account of whether you already have satisfactory Source Citations, whereas the Plugins do; also 'hints' only apply to people in the Focus Window, whereas the Plugins can focus on a whole family branch or any selected Individuals.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
NigelSomerset
Gold

Post by NigelSomerset »

Mike
Thanks for advice. Will have a look at. Sorry for delay in thanking you, am trying to resolve email incoming mail settings to allow auto updates from the FHUG as have all options selected, must be my email account blocking.

Nigel