* Biting the bullet

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Orijohnal
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Biting the bullet

Post by Orijohnal »

When Ancestry cut FTM loose, I tried several alternatives, including Family Historian. As I experimented with RM, MH and Legacy it became clear that FH is in a class of its own. Being so feature-rich and versatile, however, means complexity and a steep learning path. I confess, I was intimidated with the prospect of migrating to such an unfamiliar place. Then FTM was given a reprieve and I lost my momentum to make the shift. Inertia set in and I have stuck with FTM as my every day family tree ecosystem.

My brief exploration of FH spoiled me, however, and now, a year on, I've decided to bite the bullet. I have some issues of consistency and quality with my main family tree and rather than 'polish' it in either program, I've decided on a complete redo using Family Historian. I've just created a new project with FTM on one screen and FH on the other but before diving in, I thought I would check in here.

I have come to realize that many specific questions have already been answered either here, in the program Help or in the excellent companion materials. This post is more general in nature. I know much work has been done to help users export and import between programs. I've decided the best approach is a redo. Has anyone else embarked on this particular migration (or one like it)? Are there pitfalls or pointers you can share?
John Wright ... researching Hume, Wright, Blake, & Ironside
jbtapscott
Megastar

Re: Biting the bullet

Post by jbtapscott »

Don't know if it will help but, after some investigations, I decided to move to FH after support for TMG was stopped. I chose the import route rather than a "rekey" option.

BUT, I spent around three months constantly re-importing my data from TMG, checking reports / data consistency, etc., taking the opportunity to change some tag details in TMG to ensure a better transfer of data and also tidying data in TMG as I went along. I also made a "to do" list for each application as I went along so that when I made the final cutover I could make any last minute changes in TMG and then would know what I wanted to change data-wise in FH when the import was complete. I was reasonably sure what reporting I wanted and how I wanted my website (generated initially using the FH generator) to look, and thus concentrated on those items during the three months.

You also have the Sample database if you want to "test" scenarios after you finally cutover, and it is pretty easy to create a duplicate of your main database within FH if you want to test stuff out on "real" data.

So, in summary, personally I would go the import route unless your data is a real real mess!.
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
ThorpeDave
Gold
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by ThorpeDave »

I too am in the process of a complete re-build after deciding to switch from RM to FH - and boy am I glad I did!

My whole approach has now changed and I realise that there were significant floors with my previous approach and processes. Changes and update to the various subscription web sites have also meant I now have significantly more detail than I had previously - Now using FMP

My previous project was based on original research carried out by my Father which I had added significantly to.

I have not come across any serious errors but the re-build has certainly answered many "brick wall" problems that previously remained unsolved.

Regards

Dave
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The most important tool to use for a redo is Ancestral Sources.
See how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
David Potter
Megastar

Post by David Potter »

I moved from TMG into FH 6.2.2 about 6 months ago and made excellent use of AS (Ancestral Sources) to basically re-input from scratch. I had issues with data quality in TMG anyways and preferred to re-evaluate everything going into FH. AS provides a very sound base for Source/Citation management and ensures consistency and is well worth the extra effort. But it to has a learning curve, so experiment with the settings firstly as I had to start afresh a couple of times until I understood how AS itself can be tailored and customised. So watch the Tutorial Videos and read the supporting info before pressing on too far and then realising 'I wish I had known that before' syndrome.

I'm very pleased I did this, and still have TMG as a reference. In fact some FH people would frown but I used the exact same TMG Individual reference numbers when creating new Individuals in FH (Custom ID Field) more on that if you need it, so I can easily cross reference both systems.

And of course coupled with the excellent support from this forum.

David
ThorpeDave
Gold

Post by ThorpeDave »

tatewise wrote:The most important tool to use for a redo is Ancestral Sources.
I totally agree

Regards

Dave
wulliam
Famous

Post by wulliam »

I re-entered all my data when moving from FTM some years ago. I've never regretted it - everything is in the same format and I'm happy with it in a way I never was in FTM. It took an exceedingly long time but was so worth it :)
William
dewilkinson
Superstar

Post by dewilkinson »

I moved to FH from TMG a few months ago and used the import facility. My database is quite large, ~25, 000 people and associated records, so re-entry wasn't possible. The import worked very well (FH does have a specific TMG import facility) and everything seemed to import. but some work was required to get things like sentences right for bespoke Facts. Also, FH is different to TMG so it took a while to get used to the differences, and I have to say the gains with FH far outweigh the losses from TMG (such as surety values for components of a Tag and parent child relationships (but they are possible in FH but not simply). FH uses and presents some data differently and it took a little while to get used to it and I have an ongoing project to change some entries to take advantage of what FH has to offer.
David Wilkinson researching Bowtle, Butcher, Edwards, Gillingham, Overett, Ransome, Simpson, and Wilkinson in East Anglia

Deterioration is contagious, and places are destroyed or renovated by the spirit of the people who go to them
Orijohnal
Gold

Post by Orijohnal »

Thank you all for those insights. With less than 3K records and no real deadline, I've decided to stick to my plan of re-entering my records from FTM to FH. I've already 'polished' a few records I thought were already optimal. This approach will not be without tedium, but I'm confident it will yield dividends.

This post started with the question, "How can I mark records I've finished copying from FTM?" The solution - a new 'Named list' and 'Set Marks using Query". Slick & easy.
John Wright ... researching Hume, Wright, Blake, & Ironside
AnneEast
Superstar

Post by AnneEast »

Enjoy your re entering! You will almost certainly find more information and correct old errors. You'll get sidetracked down interesting twigs of your tree and have loads of fun. Don't hurry, just enjoy it!
Anne
E Wilcock
Megastar

Post by E Wilcock »

tatewise wrote:The most important tool to use for a redo is Ancestral Sources.
Can you explain why a data entry facility is the best way to check and tidy existing imported data? Or are you suggesting one retypes the info?

It has been posted on another thread that one cant use Ancestral sources to edit data already in fh.

One of the reasons I am using fh is that source images of census and certificates can now replace my father's (sometimes doubtful, best guess) transcriptions. In many archives one may now photograph documents and working from old handwriting it is invaluable to be able to call up an image of the original.

I acknowledge though that I too hope to alter some of my census entries, getting rid of the Witness style which I used for a while, with a view to saving time. However, it may have to wait till I am in my 90s.
Valkrider
Megastar

Post by Valkrider »

Ancestral Sources cannot, as you say, alter existing data. What it can do is exactly what you are saying in that it can create a new record with the correct data and image attached and delete the existing census entry on saving the new data. It allows you to add census and BMD data in a consistent way across all your records.
Trivvie
Platinum

Post by Trivvie »

John Wright

Can you please explain your solution:

This post started with the question, "How can I mark records I've finished copying from FTM?" The solution - a new 'Named list' and 'Set Marks using Query". Slick & easy.

I am in the process of restarting in FH from FTM with a blank new project. I have imported a gedcom of my old data into FH as a project labelled "FTM import" just in case my old version of FTM no longer works but somehow I need to create a system so I know I have entered everyone into my new project.
Liz
FH V7.0.22
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

On John Wright's behalf I can give some pointers.

In your FTM Import Project there are statistics.
The number of Individual and Family records are shown bottom right all the time.
Also File > File Statistics lists the numbers of all the record types.

When your new blank Project has appropriately equivalent statistics you know you are close to completion.
There may be a few extra Individuals or Families or other records gained along the way, but it gives an overview.

For a more detailed view Named Lists offer one of a number of solutions.
There is a built in Named List called Work in Progress but you can use whatever and however many lists you like.

Let us assume you will start with Individuals named A, B & C and their associated Families.
As you add those Individual records, also add them to the Named List.
You can add their Family records to the same Named List if desired.
You can add Notes to each record in the Named List to identify progress, and what is outstanding, or whatever.
When an Individual record is complete to your satisfaction, remove that record from the Named List.
As you add further records, add them to the same Named List and continue the process until everybody is 'finished'.
At that point the Named List will be empty.

As you go along, you may discover new lines of research, but rather than be distracted, you could keep another Named List for pending Research and come back to that later. An alternative approach is to create an Attribute within each Individual record to hold a Research To Do List as explained in how_to:create_work_in_progress_or_research_to_do_lists|> Create Work In Progress or Research To Do Lists.

If it helps, you can have associated Named Lists in the FTM Import Project too.
But the lists cannot be shared between Projects.
Trivvie
Platinum

Post by Trivvie »

Thank you for the explanation. I need to get my head round the best way to do this.

I certainly need your suggestion to use the Named list so that as new family members are added e.g by census entries, they are added to the list so that I know I need to go back and research until happy complete.

I could create a Family Historian named list in my FTM Import project and add names to it as they are created in my new project. Can you have two project windows open at the same time and work on both or is it a question of closing one down and then opening the other project?
Last edited by Trivvie on 22 Jan 2017 13:54, edited 1 time in total.
Liz
FH V7.0.22
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You cannot have two Projects open in one FH program at the same time, but you can run two copies of FH at the same time with a different Project open in each copy.
DavidNewton
Superstar

Post by DavidNewton »

tatewise wrote:You cannot have two Projects open in one FH program at the same time, but you can run two copies of FH at the same time with a different Project open in each copy.
I have tried this, sometimes deliberately but mostly by clicking the taskbar icon too often. I have to say that it is not a very satisfying experience. The two instances of FH are independent and, for example, the FH clipboard is not shared. If you open both instances on the same project and make a change in one of them then switching to the other gets the message that the project has been altered by another program do you want to reload? If you have two monitors it is not too bad, but if you have only one monitor and try stacking the instances side-by-side then there is no automatic re-sizing to make the windows fit - unless I have missed a setting somewhere - and Windows 10 seems to have made a complete mess of the 'Show windows side by side' option on right-clicking the taskbar so that it seems largely random as to how much of the screen is filled by the two windows - do doubt Microsoft have some esoteric reasoning but it is beyond my ken.

David
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

In Windows 10 (In fact since Vista aero), if you grab the title bar of one instance of FH and drag it to the left or right of the screen it will snap to fill half of the screen, in the other half it will show all other open tasks, just click on the other instance of FH (or the other program you want to view)and that will then fill the other half of the screen.
John
Trivvie
Platinum

Post by Trivvie »

Thank you everyone. I did just want two different projects open so that I can amend Named Lists in each project as a cross check that everybody goes over in the new tree which it seems I can do. I am doing this as a brand new start rather than wanting to import corrupt sources etc.
Liz
FH V7.0.22