* Verdana Pro font

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Deirdre784
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Verdana Pro font

Post by Deirdre784 »

This sounds a silly question, but does anyone know what has happened to the font called Verdana Pro?

I had set up my reports and book to use the Verdana Pro font in a variety of sizes, but wanted to change size of a book title today as it doesn't fit as I want it to, but the Verdana Pro font is no longer available :?

Verdana is still there....

Any ideas?

Thanks.
Deirdre
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Verdana Pro font

Post by tatewise »

Deirdre, what has changed since you last used Verdana Pro because things like that do not just vanish?
Have you changed PC, changed Windows OS, or what?

Different versions of PC and Windows come with different fonts installed.
Where did you get Verdana Pro from?
Where did you last use it?
It is probably still installed wherever you used it last, and could be transferred.

A Google search shows that there are free downloads for some variants of Verdana Pro but it seems that to get its full family of fonts costs money.

What are the differences between Verdana Pro and Verdana that makes the latter unsuitable for you?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Deirdre784
Famous

Post by Deirdre784 »

Hi Mike, I'm not very tech-minded I'm afraid but it's the same PC, bought just over a year ago, installed Windows 10 a few weeks after it came out and the update ran a few days ago.

I haven't installed any fonts myself, Verdana Pro was available when I started using FH6 about 6 months ago, and I used it recently (a few weeks ago) when I typed up an intro to my family history book in Word.

Guess it's something to do with the W10 upgrade (which I would have delayed had I realised it was set to update automatically) :roll:

Initially assumed that it was a FH issue but it's not available in Word any more either. What a pain (as there are so many little bits to amend as I like to have everything in the same font).
Deirdre
Deirdre784
Famous

Post by Deirdre784 »

Here's a clip showing the same text in both fonts. Not sure why I preferred Pro and will change to Verdana if necessary....
VerdanaProAndVerdana.png
VerdanaProAndVerdana.png (35.31 KiB) Viewed 7586 times
Deirdre
Deirdre784
Famous

Post by Deirdre784 »

Have just discovered that changing Verdana 10 to 9pt looks much more like Pro - see below - so I'll do that.... had thought they looked quite different in the screenshot above, Verdana 10 looks much wider than Pro 10 (to me anyway!)
VerdanaProAndVerdana-2.png
VerdanaProAndVerdana-2.png (5.75 KiB) Viewed 7581 times
Deirdre
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

A Google search suggests you are not alone in missing the Verdana Pro font, which was in Windows 10 earlier, but has vanished after updates.

It is suggested that Verdana Pro can be restored via a Settings update:
Start > Settings > System > Apps & features > Manage optional features > Pan-European Supplemental Fonts
but for me the Pan-European Supplemental Fonts feature is not listed.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Deirdre784
Famous

Post by Deirdre784 »

Thanks Mike, I'll have a look at that but don't usually do anything like mess with the settings in case it causes other problems I can't fix! There are still loads of other fonts listed - shame it removed the one I used.

Having heard of people who have experienced a lot of issues after the W10 update, if that's the only thing wrong i guess i shouldn't complain.

Thanks again for your time.
Last edited by Deirdre784 on 17 Sep 2016 09:01, edited 1 time in total.
Deirdre
Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

Deidre,
For what it's worth, I still have Verdana Pro on my Windows10 PC. It is a 6 month old PC, which came with W10 already installed, but It did go through an automatic Windows update 2 or 3 days ago, so if your font has gone missing, it may not be down to this update.

I did follow Mike's advice concerning installing the Pan-European fonts, just to check, but was informed it was already installed!

I then tried Notepad, and sure enough the Pro font was there.

Mike L
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

Apparently the following fonts are now optional installs and are part of the 'Pan-European Supplemental Fonts':

Arial Nova, Georgia Pro, Gill Sans Nova, Neue Haas Grotesk, Rockwell Nova, Verdana Pro

I don't have any of those on my Windows 10 PC. As Mike Indicated in his post, the Pan European Fonts aren't in the optional features list.

According to the comments in this thread, the anniversary update (v1607 i.e. 2016-July) removed the Pan European Fonts by mistake. According to the thread MS are aware of this and it will be restored in a future update. The brief reading I've done suggests it disappeared with the November 2015 update (1511) and then came back in a later update.

In theory I thought it ought to have been possibly to download the update via a DISM command (DISM.exe /Online /Add-Capability /CapabilityName:Microsoft-Windows-LanguageFeatures-Fonts-PanEuropeanSupplementalFonts-Package) but that doesn't work, presumably because it isn't currently available due to the 1607 mistake.

Nick
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
Deirdre784
Famous

Post by Deirdre784 »

Thanks Mike L and Nick, I have just checked my desktop and have none of those Pan-European fonts, nor is it an option in the optional features list, so I assume it happened with the recent update (I have v1607). Verdana Pro is not available on my ipad either anymore. Wish I'd stayed with Arial, but fancied a change as it's our required font in work.

Having read Nick's post and the promised future update I may just leave things as they are for now, and hope it re-appears :D .

Thanks again, Deirdre
Deirdre