* Odd behaviour of Fact display in Fact tab of Property Box

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
NigelBrown
Diamond
Family Historian: V6.2

Odd behaviour of Fact display in Fact tab of Property Box

Post by NigelBrown »

This is not a problem, more a matter of curiosity on my part. Can anyone tell me what governs the display of the Fact at the beginning of each line in the Fact tab.

In most cases it is a full word (Born, Baptised, Death, Residence, etc.) but sometimes it is abbreviated (Educ. and Occup. for example). This is mostly consistent for each Fact, although I have just one instance, as far as I can see, where Occupation is fully spelt out, but there is a twist even here, because in this one instance the word Occupation is followed by a colon (":"). Moreover, some Facts always seem to end with a colon, whereas most do not. Employed: and Medical Condition: are two cases in point.

In the "All" tab, these words always seem to be fully spelt out, without colons after them

I know it doesn't really matter, but curiosity is getting the better of me. I am attaching an image of a few examples.

Nigel Brown
(Vousden One-Name Study)
Attachments
curious.png
curious.png (17.76 KiB) Viewed 5408 times
Nigel Brown - https://vousden.one-name.net
Vousden One-Name Study - https://vousden.one-name.net
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Odd behaviour of Fact display in Fact tab of Property Box

Post by tatewise »

The short answer is that the fact name on Facts tab is governed by the Tools > Fact Types definition.
There are three name fields: Name, Label, Abbreviation.
But they do not all have to be filled in and the last non-blank one takes precedence.
Remember there are two types of fact: Events and Attributes, which may explain the colon.
Whereas, on the All tab I think it always uses the formal Name.
Also some facts do not belong to Individual, such as in your example: Marriage of... and Birth of ...
If two apparently identical Facts have different names, then perhaps they are not actually identical, but one is Standard and the other Custom.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Employment (but not Employed) and Medical Condition are in the Extended Fact Set, not Standard facts. I think this means they are facts used by another genealogy program. The presence of the colon after these labels may be some side effect of this. Did you import some or all of your file from elsewhere?

Mike wrote
There are three name fields: Name, Label, Abbreviation.
But they do not all have to be filled in and the last non-blank one takes precedence.
Earlier this evening, before Mike's post, I started to write a reply to this topic but before posting it I checked the effect of changing or deleteing the entry in the Abbreviation field of the Fact Definition of a standard fact (e.g. Occupation). To my puzzlement it had no effect on the way the fact is displayed in the Facts tab! I am sure it used to work.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Firstly, I find that the Facts tab does not always update after Tools > Fact Types changes. It must be closed and re-opened or sorted to refresh.

Secondly, the Fact definition may have an Advanced dialogue override definition.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

I had already tried closing and reopening the Facts tab, and checked that there was no Advanced Override Template for the Facts tab listing.

I now find that changing or deleting the Abbreviation works for some facs (e.g. Death) but not others (e.g. Occupation).

For some (e.g. Baptism or Marriage) the Installation settings include an abbreviation (Bap, Marr) but the Facts tab shows Baptised or Married.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Lorna, you are absolutely correct, and I had not noticed those anomalies before, and they exist in earlier FH versions.
It seems that some Standard facts have internal override templates that may apply to either the Facts tab, or the All tab & Records Window when either collapsed or expanded. So there may be one, two, or three override templates per fact.

For those Standard facts where override templates apply the Facts Type definitions are ignored.
However, elsewhere such as in =FactLabel() and =FactAbbrev() functions the definitions still do apply.

Except where those override templates apply, I think the normal rules are:
  1. Facts tab:
    1. Use the Advanced > Override Template for Facts tab Listings
    2. Otherwise, use Abbreviation, else use Label, else use Name
    3. If it is an Attribute then append a colon (:)
  2. All tab & Records Window either collapsed or expanded:
    1. Use the Advanced > Override Template for Records Window Listings
    2. Otherwise, always use the Label
NigelBrown
Diamond

Post by NigelBrown »

Mike and Lorna,

Thank you for your explanations and comments. I should have said initially that before posting to the Forum I had experimented with the content of the Abbreviation field, mostly to no avail. The Help for Fact Definition says "If specified, the abbreviation will be used instead of the fact label where the fact is mentioned. If not supplied, the label will be used instead." Clearly this is not quite the case. However, for me at least it does not make a difference to the use of FH, other than not being able to control what I thought I could. Never mind! Thanks again.

Nigel Brown
(Vousden One-Name Study)
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Nigel, even where those Standard internal override templates usually apply, the Advanced > Override Template for Facts tab Listings and the Advanced > Override Template for Records Window Listings do override those internal templates.

So for example {abbr} {date} {place} or {label}: {value} {place} will replace the internal template and let you fully control the display.

See how_to:understanding_expressions#override_templates|> Understanding Expressions > Override Templates for further ideas.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

Thanks for the confirmation Mike. I had wondered if my brain was just too tired last night!
As Nigel says, the Help for Fact Definiton is misleading in the light of those 'hidden' internal override templates, but none of this has any adverse consequences.
Lorna
NigelBrown
Diamond

Post by NigelBrown »

Thanks for the Override tips. I still learn something useful every day!
Nigel