* Tithe Commutation Act 1836

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
gwilym'smum
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Tithe Commutation Act 1836

Post by gwilym'smum »

Hello, I am doing a course on using maps in family history. The current lesson is on the 1836 Tithe Commutation Act. In order to find the locations to study I need to know where my ancestors lived in 1836. I really do not understand how to construct expressions. I read the query help and looked at a standard query, saved it as a custom query and added a place column. The column appeared but no information. I know this is really basic but I would appreciate an idea of how to make this list. Thank you in advance Ann
Researching Mayer, Parr/Parr, Simcock, Beech and all related families
Jane
Site Admin
Family Historian: V7

Re: Tithe Commutation Act 1836

Post by Jane »

This query is a variant on the Alive At query from fhugdownloads:contents:alive_and_age_at_date|> Query:Individual ~ Alive and Age at Date.

[ Revised variant of Query now in KB - see latest post in this thread. ]

It will prompt for a date (enter 1836) and list everyone alive at that date, with the key places from their facts.

With a Plugin you could do much more sophisticated logic to identify the last place recorded for them before the cut off date, but I suspect this will be enough for you to sort out your locations for checking on Tithe maps.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
gwilym'smum
Superstar

Post by gwilym'smum »

Dear Jane, thank you very much for your help I will follow that up. Regards ann
gwilym'smum
Superstar

Post by gwilym'smum »

Dear jane have followed the instructions and has worked perfectly, thank you so much.
NickiP
Famous

Post by NickiP »

Jane, I was also interested in this but it doesn't seem to filter out individuals who only have a Baptism and/or Burial date with no corresponding Birth/Death dates. If I have no definite birth/death date I don't include them as FH's display allows you to see them in the various views unlike other programs. Is this a limitation on how the queries work please?
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Strange I would have expected it to as it uses EstimatedAgeAt for both, I could simply be the loose coupling is making the window a bit large.

If you add the estimated dates as columns for the people concerned what dates are shown?
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Yes, I find that the =EstimatedAgeAt() function even works correctly for Individuals with no Dated facts at all, where their Age is automatically derived from other family relatives.

For me it certainly works for Individuals with just a Baptism, or Christening, or Burial event and with no relations.

The =EstimatedAgeAt() must yield a value greater than 0 and less than 100 to include the Individual. Nicki, do your Individuals meet those criteria?

If still unclear, please post some screenshots of the details.

BTW: Any effect due to particular facts is only a feature of this specific query and not queries in general that can be designed to include or exclude records according to virtually any combination facts.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

I think Nicki wants to exclude individuals with no birth or death dates.
Lorna
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Lorna, I am not sure why Nicki would want to do that for the date of 1836 as that would exclude almost everyone, since explicit Birth and Death facts would be quite rare prior to 1837.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

True, but the original post was not from Nicki, so the 1836 date is probably not relevant.
Nicki said the query does not 'filter out' those with only baptism and/or burial dates, and 'If I have no definite birth/death date I don't include them'.
Perhaps Nicki could clarify.
Lorna
gwilym'smum
Superstar

Post by gwilym'smum »

Hi, I posted the original request as I was researching a particular source for 1836. I applied the link given to the 1910 dates for another source and it was excellent. Not that I am very technically competent but I think it would work for any date. Thanks for the help, regards Ann
NickiP
Famous

Post by NickiP »

LornaCraig wrote:True, but the original post was not from Nicki, so the 1836 date is probably not relevant.
Nicki said the query does not 'filter out' those with only baptism and/or burial dates, and 'If I have no definite birth/death date I don't include them'.
Perhaps Nicki could clarify.
I tried using 1836 and other dates but had results which included people baptised after, eg, 1836 and also some buried before that year. It didn't seem to take the baptisms and/or burial dates into account when calculating whether they would have been alive in that particular year.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Nicki, that should NOT happen, unless those 'exceptional' entries have a Birth or Death event with a Date that satisfies the 'alive at year' and will therefore override the Baptism or Burial events. With such Individual relevant events, I don't think the events of relatives are considered at all.

Nicki, could you investigate and post suitably redacted screenshots of say the Facts tab of some 'exceptional' Individuals and their inclusion in the Result Set preferably with extra Columns for %INDI.BIRT.DATE% and %INDI.DEAT.DATE% and perhaps =EstimatedBirthDate(%INDI%,MID,2) and =EstimatedDeathDate(%INDI%,MID,2).
NickiP
Famous

Post by NickiP »

Just had a closer look. The problem appears to be the query isn't recognising Burial dates where there is no corresponding death date. Apologies, the baptism date isn't the issue. I thought I'd seen one or two which fell outside the range when I previously ran the query, but I think that was me misreading a date.

On all the affected entries, the second "Life Dates" column shows the age they would have been at the time even though the first column shows the first "Life Dates" column shows the burial date correctly. I've attached for now a screen shot showing how this displays in the results for 1836.
Attachments
FH - Alive at Query.JPG
FH - Alive at Query.JPG (30.22 KiB) Viewed 10331 times
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Ah, yes, the other Rows tab filter condition intended to cater for early death is:
Exclude if %INDI.DEAT[1].DATE% was earlier than ["Date"].
but if there is no Death event then that is ineffective, so what is required is:
Exclude if =EstimatedDeathDate(%INDI%,LATEST,2) is less than ["Date"].
which will use Death Date if it exists, but otherwise will use Burial/Cremation Date, or any relative's event dates if necessary.

Corrected Query now in KB - see next posting.
NickiP
Famous

Post by NickiP »

Thanks Mike, that works a treat now.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I have added fhugdownloads:contents:alive_and_age_at_date_with_places|> Query:Individual ~ Alive and Age at Date with Places.

It behaves much like the recent ATTACHMENT but with a few refinements:
It works on both FH V6 and earlier versions such as FH V5.
It sets the maximum Age cutoff to be 110 years instead of 100.
It lists Born/Baptised/Christened Place in one Column, i.e. Born Place if it exists, else Baptised Place, else Christened Place.
It lists Died/Buried/Cremated Place in one Column, i.e. Died Place if it exists, else Buried Place, else Cremated Place.
Its printout page includes the full title with the chosen date.