* FH6 on a new windows 10 PC

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Johnyeates
Famous
Family Historian: V6

FH6 on a new windows 10 PC

Post by Johnyeates »

Hi, I am going to have to buy a new laptop, they all come with Windows 10 installed.
I can't find any comments as to any problems or advantages with running FH6 on Win 10.
I am sure that there are some FH users are running it on Win 10, please update me with any comments.
Also will I need to update any drivers, Printer, Scanner, external hard drive etc.
Thanks
John
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: FH6 on a new windows 10 PC

Post by tatewise »

Hi John,
Plenty of FHUG members are running FH V6 (and AS V5) on Windows 10 without problem, and FH is guaranteed by Calico Pie anyway.

Please use how_to:family_historian_migration_guide|> Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide to transfer everything from old PC to new PC.

You ask: "Also will I need to update any drivers, Printer, Scanner, external hard drive, etc?"
The answer is maybe. It largely depends on how ancient those devices are.
You need to check each manufacturer's web site for the specific model.
If that does not offer any solution then sometimes you can install old drivers in compatibility mode for the old Windows OS.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
ireneblackburn
Superstar

Post by ireneblackburn »

My old laptop has died and I have just bought this new one with Windows 10. I have the license key for FH6 upgrade, but I can't find the key for FH5. I might be able to revivie my old laptop for a few minutes if someone can tell me where I will find the FH5 key.
Irene

My family tree is full of nuts
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Irene, it is probably better to use the how_to:family_historian_licence_problems|> Family Historian Licence Problems advice and ask Calico Pie to send your FH V5 licence details again.

BTW: Did you not make a how_to:family_historian_installation_details#installation_archive|> Installation Archive as has been advised in these Forums over and over again, and make a backup copy. Do you have the FH V5 to V6 Upgrade installation download file?

I hope you have FULL backups of all your Projects and all your preferences & customisations of Diagrams, Reports, Queries, Fact Types, Plugins, Records Window columns, Property Box tabs, etc.

If not, then reserve what life is left in your laptop to obtain them, or maybe the disk drive can be attached to another PC to extract that data. See the how_to:family_historian_migration_guide|> Family Historian V5 & V6 Migration Guide.
ireneblackburn
Superstar

Post by ireneblackburn »

Hi Mike
I backed up all of my projects and settings, and I have the email with the v5 to v6 key, but I could not find the v5 disk - this is really annoying as I have the old ones going back to v2 when I first bought it.

I bought a new disk of v5 rather than try to keep updating fom old ones. I have found the v5 disk but not the key, however new Dell has no DVD drive so I need to download it. Where can I find the download files for v5 and v6
Irene

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

So you did not create the Installation Archive for the FH V5 CD and Licence Key, nor the FH V5 to V6 Upgrade installation download file!

You did not need to buy a full FH V5 CD because the FH V4 to V5 Upgrade worked like the FH V5 to V6 Upgrade and only needed the previous licence key.

If you have found the FH V5 CD, then hopefully you have found its box and Quick Start Guide?
The how_to:family_historian_licence_problems|> Family Historian Licence Problems explains that the Licence Key should be printed on the guide or on a label in or on the box. If all else fails, then put it down to experience, and buy a new copy of FH V6.

You do NOT need to install the FH V5 CD. You just need its Licence Key.

Please read the how_to:family_historian_licence_problems|> Family Historian Licence Problems advice to obtain the missing FH V5 to V6 Upgrade installation download file. When you get it, please make an archive.
ireneblackburn
Superstar

Post by ireneblackburn »

I have found the key for FH5 so now I am just waiting for the support team at Calico Pie to help me with v6 download file. I have the email from them sent Dec 2014 with the licence key and have sent that to them.

Thanks for your help Mike, as soon as I get the file I will be making an Installation Archive.
Irene

Gowermick
Megastar

Post by Gowermick »

John,
Like you, I have a new Windows 10 PC, and FH runs like a dream, with no problems whatsoever. Being a new PC, it has a faster processor than my old one, so the only diferences are positive ones, and with a 40" 4k TV to use as my monitor, couldn't be better. ;)
Mike Loney

Website http://www.loney.tribalpages.com
http://www.mickloney.tribalpages.com
ireneblackburn
Superstar

Post by ireneblackburn »

FH now installed thanks to the nice people at Calico Pie. Installation backup has also been done. Thanks for the advice.

One good thing came out of searching for the v5 disc and key, the cupboard in the spare room is a lot tidier since I threw out so much junk during my search!
Irene