* Upgrading to FHv6

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Sharon
Diamond
Family Historian: V5

Upgrading to FHv6

Post by Sharon »

Hi There, Can anyone point please point me to a set of instructions for upgrading to FHv6 from FHv5 (on the same PC, Windows 10). I have searched the knowledge base but all the links keep referring me to the page for upgrading and moving to another PC.

Thank you.
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Upgrading to FHv6

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

Just install the upgrade over your version 5, all your settings will be retained. If you still need to use V5 on another computer then you also need to make a copy of your project for V5 as the V6 data is not liked by V5.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You are correct Sharon, there is nothing in the KB that explicitly says to just install a later version of FH over the previous version, but in defence, that is because virtually all software works that way.

If you upgrade say Microsoft Office from 2010 to 2013 version, you would not do anything else, and all your Word documents and Excel spreadsheets would be just fine.

I will add a note to the KB to say that FH adopts that standard policy.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Sharon
Diamond

Post by Sharon »

Thank you both for your reply.

To be honest I would have thought that was the natural thing to do, but having found the version 5 upgrade was most definitely not straightforward, and in fact having already done the v6 upgrade and come across an issue with it, I thought I had better check.

For information the new version set up a folder structure WITHIN the folder structure of the previous version, (within the existing fh.data folder to be exact) and made copies of all the files I had! I only realised this when, after having edited some of the files from within FH v6, I later accessed them through windows explorer and found my edits were not there. I then found the duplicated set of folders.

It didn't take long to sort this, and everything is now as it should be, but I have no idea why this should have happened, because I just did a straight install over the existing one.

This is the last two upgrades that I have had trouble with now. I normally consider myself fairly IT literate - having worked in IT for 20 years and having a degree in IS. I admit my skills are getting out of date now, and clearly I am definitely not up to it as far as FH is concerned.

Ah well. Fingers crossed I get it right when the v7 upgrade comes along.

Thanks again for your help. At least now I know for certain that the standard 'install over' was the right thing to do.
Regards,
Sharon
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sharon, it would be useful to investigate a few things to try and understand how the upgrade went wrong.

When you open your FH Projects, do you click on the Project or Gedcom files, OR do you open FH itself and then use File > Project Window to open Projects?

Please tell me what it says in the File > Project Window > Location: blue text?

Also, what does it say in the Tools > Preferences > Startup > Default Startup File: box?

Finally, what does it say in the File > File Statistics > File Name: box?

I suggest you Copy & Paste the second two box contents into your posting.
ronk
Superstar

Post by ronk »

FWIW, early on, until I became familiar with FH's project structure, I did accidentally create a project 'folder within folder' a couple times which needless to say was confusing, with all files duplicated. The actual FH gedcom is a bit nested (e.g.--DriveLetter:\Family Historian Projects\FH03\FH03.fh_data\FHgedcom). I was accustomed to all files being one level deep, all in the same folder, with Legacy Family Tree. If you then somehow nest another set within that, it is definitely unsettling. Fortunately my minor upgrades from V6.0 to 6.1.4 and 6.2 went smoothly.

In the long term, the FH project folder structure permits an organized means of managing multiple projects.
Ron Krzmarzick~~ FH 7.0.20 TNG 14.0.2 website Roots & Relatives Remembered, Laragon 5.0, Win 11 pro
Sharon
Diamond

Post by Sharon »

Hi Tatewise,

My answers are below.

When you open your FH Projects, do you click on the Project or Gedcom files, OR do you open FH itself and then use File > Project Window to open Projects?

Normally I open up FH with my project/gedcom set as default. However, after originally installing the upgrade, when I first opened up FHv6, there were no existing projects in the project window, so I created a new one by importing my gedcom file. With hindsight, I think this is what actually created the new set of sub-folders and copied all my documents. I then made the current file my default file to be opened at Startup in the Preferences window.

The odd thing is, having opened up the Project Window to get some answers to your questions, there are still no current projects listed, even though there is a Project File in the folder, which apparently is being updated. (It would have been created on 8th April when I upgraded, but its last modified date is 11th April)
Why didn't my project original project show up immediately after upgrade - I would not then have created a new project.
And how can I now get FH to recognise the project I am working on?

When I realised I had a duplicate set of files and folders, I re-organised the file structure moving the new set of sub-folders to a new Family History folder and removing the old set from my laptop. As I said, everything appears to be in order other than the project not showing up in the Project Window. Perhaps the answers below will cast some light on it.

Please tell me what it says in the File > Project Window > Location: blue text?
Please see the Project Window attachment which shows the location, as well as the fact that it is not showing my project.

Also, what does it say in the Tools > Preferences > Startup > Default Startup File: box?
C:\Users\Sharon\Documents\Family History\MurrayMcAleer\MurrayMcAleer.fh_data\MurrayMcAleer.ged

Finally, what does it say in the File > File Statistics > File Name: box?
File Name: C:\Users\Sharon\Documents\Family History\MurrayMcAleer\MurrayMcAleer.fh_data\MurrayMcAleer.ged

Record Counts...
Individual Records:653
Family Records: 188
Note Records: 33
Source Records: 387
Repository Records: 3
Submitter Records: 3
Submission Records: 1
Media Records: 596
Place Records: 109

For information - the file structure is shown in the File structure attachment. The Family History folder sits within the Documents folder on the C: drive.

Thank you for your trouble tatewise.
Regards,
Sharon
Attachments
File structure.JPG
File structure.JPG (17.71 KiB) Viewed 13613 times
Project Window.JPG
Project Window.JPG (32.31 KiB) Viewed 13613 times
Sharon
Diamond

Post by Sharon »

ronk wrote:FWIW, early on, until I became familiar with FH's project structure, I did accidentally create a project 'folder within folder' a couple times which needless to say was confusing, with all files duplicated. The actual FH gedcom is a bit nested (e.g.--DriveLetter:\Family Historian Projects\FH03\FH03.fh_data\FHgedcom). I was accustomed to all files being one level deep, all in the same folder, with Legacy Family Tree. If you then somehow nest another set within that, it is definitely unsettling. Fortunately my minor upgrades from V6.0 to 6.1.4 and 6.2 went smoothly.

In the long term, the FH project folder structure permits an organized means of managing multiple projects.
Thanks Ronk.

Yes I find the structure helpful for organising my media files. Only having one gedcom file/project, I have never had cause to create more projects, and as I say in my reply to tatewise, I now think that is what is created the duplication. One problem I do have with the structure is that there are so many levels, as this adds to the total file path/name length and can be a nuisance when taking backups (which I do by just copying over the folders to an external drive) as it makes it easy to exceed the maximum Filename length limit.

Regards,
Sharon
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Sharon, your screenshot explains it all.
The Location: should NOT mention the \MurrayMcAleer folder.
It should only specify the C:\Users\Sharon\Documents\Family History folder, where the Project folders are located.
To change it click the Location: blue link and select Choose Location then browse to the Family History folder.

If you were to create a Project with the current faulty Location it would get created inside the \MurrayMcAleer folder, instead of alongside that folder, which is where it should be.

It might make things more reliable if you adopted the FH default for the Location: folder as follows:
Use File Explorer to Rename your Family History folder to Family Historian Projects (see BTW below).
Then in FH click the Location: blue link and select Reset Location to Installation Default
That should reset it to My Documents\Family Historian Projects and list your MurrayMcAleer project.

While there use More Tasks > Samples > Reset Sample Project to create the Family Historian Sample Project in which you can experiment without risking your precious master project.

BTW: If when trying to Rename your folder, the Family Historian Projects folder already exists, then check its contents, and if only the Family Historian Sample Project then delete the Family Historian Projects folder to allow the Rename to go ahead

FYI: With the folder hierarchy shown in your screenshot, you should not experience any file-path length problems, unless you have extremely long media file-names within you Media folders. Maybe the problem is that you are copying into deeply nested folders on your external drive. The solution to that is to use the FH File > Backup/Restore options that create a single ZIP file for the whole Project, and within FH choose to save that backup file directly on your external drive.
Sharon
Diamond

Post by Sharon »

Once again tatewise, thank you very much.

I have renamed my folders and gone through the steps you describe below, and hopefully I am now more 'standard' in the way I am set up.

I do have some long media names so that I can see in an instance who the record relates to, date, what it is etc, but in the worst cases the extra length is due to the source reference that comes with some downloaded documents, I wanted to keep this reference with the file itself, and only recently found a way to add metadata to jpgs. Unfortunately I haven't yet found a way of doing it for pdfs without buying the full version of Acrobat.

I have also downloaded a little app which reports on files over a specified length and is proving a great way of keeping an eye on them.

Thanks again for your help - and for help you have given me in the past. It is very much appreciated. Lets see if I can get through the next upgrade on my own. :)

Regards,
Sharon
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

Sharon wrote:.... Unfortunately I haven't yet found a way of doing it for pdfs without buying the full version of Acrobat. ....
Try adding comments (a.k.a. Sticky Notes, in the yellow speech bubbles) using Acrobat Reader. You need to save the file but the default is to save it with the same name, so that's OK. Not only do I add my meta data but the bubble can go next to the important bit - very useful if saving a PDF from a newspaper site where I'll surely lose the paragraph next time I look for it.
Adrian
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

If the PDF is an image of just a page or two, then many users convert it to JPG/PNG image format with three advantages:
  • Meta data can be added to the image.
  • A 'Detail Frame' can identify the 'important bit'.
  • The image or frame can appear in Reports, etc.
The PDF file can still be retained and linked to the Media tab alongside the JPG/PNG copy.
Sharon
Diamond

Post by Sharon »

AdrianBruce, tatewise,

Thank you - I'll look into both those suggestions.

Regards,
Sbaon
Dagwood
Superstar
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by Dagwood »

In tidying up my files prior to loading FH6 I have become concerned that the number of layers, or steps, taken to reach them is over long.

To get to any picture the structure I have is:
D: > Dropbox > FH PROJECTS FOLDER > FHPROJECT > FH Project.fh-data* > Media > Photographs By Family > xxx family > x.jpg

In fact if I am using Tools> Work with External File Links I have to click through nine levels to find any photo...that can't be right can it? :oops:

* It is when I click on here that I see FH PROJECT.GED appear for the first time in a list of four items comprising: Charts, Media, Plugin data, FH PROJECT.ged

I just don't think I have got things set up right so would appreciate any suggestions.

Dagwood
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

That is mostly OK.
See how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers under Project Structure & Location especially how_to:v4:understanding_projects|> Understanding Projects Project Structure.

Compare it with the Family Historian Sample Project structure.

D: > Dropbox > FH PROJECTS FOLDER is the essential root Location for all Projects.
FHPROJECT > FH Project.fh-data > Media is the essential Project structure.

Just two comments:

1) FHPROJECT and FH Project.fh-data and FH PROJECT.GED 'bold' names should all be identical.

2) Tools > Work with External File Links is currently listing full absolute file paths. The same will appear in every Multimedia record File Link. That they include D: > Dropbox > means they will probably NOT migrate to another PC. They need to be converted to short relative file paths, that start Project Data Folder > Media thus dramatically reducing the number of levels, and allowing the Project Media to migrate to another PC. So in Tools > Work with External File Links, select the items immediatley below the Media folder, and click Re-Map > Re-map within Project Data Folder. In your example that would be the Photographs By Family folder and all sibling folders.
Dagwood
Superstar

Post by Dagwood »

Many thanks for your reply Mike and it is a relief to read " That is mostly ok"
Nevertheless it looks as if I still have a fair bit of tidying up to do and some further reading from those links.
I'm not sure I understand the first two sentences of your note 2) but that will probably be clearer after your suggested reading.
Thanks for your advice and I'll no doubt be back shortly.
Dagwood
Dagwood
Superstar

Post by Dagwood »

Ok, that recommended reading of KB items has helped greatly and my files are much tidier now. I do understand now what you meant in your note 2) re Absolute files and need to take care of that before I get the new PC , and install FH6*.
If there is one thing that puzzles me and which I cannot find an explanation for is the two locations shown when I go into Tools> Work with external files.
The file listing shown has the structure I mentioned earlier which shows an absolute location starting with D:>through to Media Files etc but also shown from the same root is another set of files under GEDCOM Folder> through to Media etc.
Sorry, but I just can't get my head round where this is and why any item within this GEDCOM folder relocates to the D: Media location when I remap it.
Are there two locations or is it the same set of files shown differently? Apologies if I'm being thick but I think it's not seeing the wood for the trees.
Many thanks in anticipation
Dagwood
* ps What is the easiest method of changing my Absolute files to Relative ones?
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The absolute Media paths are full paths from the disk drive down, and potentially can be anywhere on any disk.
But yours all appear to be correctly within the Project's Media folder.

The relative Media paths are dependant on the Project structure.
FH knows where each Project is located and therefore knows the path to the GEDCOM file.
For example in your case it is:
D:\Dropbox\FH PROJECTS FOLDER\FH Project\FH Project.fh-data
which is different from the default location that would be:
C:\Users\<dagwood>\Documents\Family Historian Projects\FH Project\FH Project.fh-data
In Tools > Work with External File Links that path is known as the Project Data Folder.
So the Media folder relative path is Project Data Folder > Media and in the Multimedia records the File Link starts with Media\.
So wherever the Project structure migrates, the full Media path is the current Project data folder absolute path, plus the Media sub-folder relative path.
Thus the Project can move to another PC without breaking the relative Media file links.
Whereas, the absolute Media paths will probably not exist on another PC unless you happen to use exactly the same disk drive, user account, etc.

If your Tools > Work with External File Links lists both absolute and relative paths then that is what you have. Each File Link entry is a different Media file. Probably the earliest Media have inherited absolute paths from the past, whereas more recently added Media will have adopted relative Media paths by default.

What you refer to as GEDCOM Folder is probably actually Project Data Folder.
If not, then you do NOT have a genuine Project structure after all.
At the very top of the FH window does it say Family Historian Project or Family Historian Gedcom?
Is your FH Project listed in the File > Project Window?
In the File > Project Window what is the Location path?
It should be your D:\Dropbox\FH PROJECTS FOLDER.
Dagwood
Superstar

Post by Dagwood »

Thanks Mike, there's a fair bit of sorting out to do yet and I may have to leave it until I return home on Thursday week as I'm away for the next 10 days.
You have given me a lot to think about ( I'm pretty slow at understanding things lately!) but one point that you made and I have started sorting out is the issue of the Project structure.

The project was being opened by a link to the Gedcom File and No it was not listed in the Project Window....it is now! That has removed GEDCOM from the screen when in Tools> Work with etc and it has been replaced with Project Data Folder and a number of files and folders seem to have changed position and appear to now have crosses against them which I'm not sure were there before, but they may have been.

There do seem to be two paths in that screen one from D:>DropBox>FH PROJECTS FOLDER >etc , and the other starting with Project Data Folder>Media> etc. There are very few files left now in the D: ( ie absolute?) route, in fact that appears to be just seven images and they are not ones I have touched in the last few days.

At the top of the project window it does now say FH PROJECT.ged - Family Historian Project.

In the File> Project Window it reads MY Documents/Family Historian Projects. That does not seem to match with what you suggested ie D:\Dropbox\FH PROJECTS FOLDER.

Methinks I still have some way to go!

Your help has been much appreciated
Dagwood
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

It seems you have two similarly named Projects both with their own Gedcom & Media but in two different locations:-
1) One is at the default Location: My Documents\Family Historian Projects.
2) While the other is at Location: D:\DropBox\FH PROJECTS FOLDER.

You can switch from one to the other by clicking on the Location: blue link and adjusting the setting.

You will need to reconcile those two, and when satisfied everything is captured in one, then delete the other to avoid future confusion.
Dagwood
Superstar

Post by Dagwood »

That would explain some of my confusion and as I only open the one project from one link, or should I say the one shortcut, I guess I might not have spotted that for quite some time.
it looks as if that will have to await my return now but many thanks for pointing it out.
Dagwood