* New Pre-release: 6.1.4

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
SimonOrde
Program Designer
Family Historian: V7

New Pre-release: 6.1.4

Post by SimonOrde »

We have now updated the pre-release version of 6.1. The new version (another pre-release) is 6.1.4. It includes the ability to configure automatic snapshots, and fixes a couple of small problems with the previous release. For full details see the section New & Enhanced Features in 6.1.4 in http://www.family-historian.co.uk/downl ... ade-to-6.1.

If anyone wishes to post comments about 6.1.4, please post them here.
LornaCraig
Megastar

Re: New Pre-release: 6.1.4

Post by LornaCraig »

SimonOrde wrote:I can confirm that there is a bug with the menu button on the toolbar of the Source pane. It checks citation and fact media instead of citation and Source record media as it should. ...... We also agree that if you click on the 'Show Media' button on the toolbar in the Fact tab of the Property Box, it should always show media for the currently selected fact (i.e. as it will do now if the fact list already has the keyboard 'focus').
These buttons now appear to work as expected, thanks. :)
Lorna
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

Post by johnmorrisoniom »

My issue with unexplained crashes is continuing, but only if snapshot management is turned on. Everything is OK with Snapshot off.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

John, does that issue affect all Projects, or only your very large Projects?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

So far I have only been working on my large project.
I shall do some work on a small side project tomorrow.
capnkeith
Famous
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by capnkeith »

When opening the "Edit Media Item" window, the three tick boxes for Exclude from Dia's., Reports and Use Note as Caption are greyed out. Is that correct?
Keith
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

After some experimenting I can safely say that my small project is oK with snapshot management on, it is only the large project that crashes with snapshot management on, but is OK when it is switched off.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Keith's observation about greyed-out options is a bug, but manifests itself in various ways.
e.g.
In Family Historian Sample Project for Anthony Edward MUNRO on Facts tab use Show Media in both Facts tab and Sources For pane for the three facts/sources that have Media icons.
For Birth and Occupation the Birth/Marriage Certifcate bottom pane of Edit Media Item dialogue is all wrong.
Whereas via Source For pane the same Birth/Marriage Certifcate bottom pane of Edit Media Item dialogue is OK except for the three greyed out options.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

There are two strange display effects on all the Property Box dialogues:
Facts tab Toolbar Icons
Facts tab Toolbar Icons
FactsIconsV6.1.4.png (6.68 KiB) Viewed 16557 times
  1. When the Sources For pane is open the icon with double vertical bars and left & right arrows correctly appears at the draggable junction of this pane and the pane on the left. But it also wrongly appears in the caption and toolbar above where circled in blue above.
  2. The tabbed pane of the Property Box has an icon on each tab. When the pane is too narrow to include all tabs, this icon wrongly appears to the right of the left/right arrows as shown circled in red above.
NickiP
Famous

Post by NickiP »

johnmorrisoniom wrote:After some experimenting I can safely say that my small project is oK with snapshot management on, it is only the large project that crashes with snapshot management on, but is OK when it is switched off.
Is the snapshot problem related to the number of Individual Records or Media Records? One of my projects has 26k Individual Records but currently only just over 2k Media Records and I'm not experiencing any crashes with snapshot management. The project itself does take longer to open though than the other smaller projects.
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

My Large (Main) Project has the Following

Record Counts...
Individual Records:52433
Family Records: 16217
Note Records: 16
Source Records: 14372
Repository Records: 57
Submitter Records: 1
Submission Records: 0
Media Records: 19183
Place Records: 4759
NickiP
Famous

Post by NickiP »

That's a rather large project John. Although if I was to combine my four grandparent's projects together, the total number of Individual Records would be currently 58360, albeit currently with considerably fewer media as I am working my way updating the projects. I chose to keep them split into four different projects rather than having one large one. Mind you up until last year I used to keep individual projects for each distinctive surname.

Do you find that there is a slight delay in the project opening?

I also found when I was using AS with the project that is 26k that when AS refreshed the list of Individuals under "Find Name" there was some quite considerable lag in it becoming usable again. I've chosen not to continue using AS, albeit mainly for other reasons.
johnmorrisoniom
Megastar

I have not had any delay issues with AS at all. The only other issue I have is with the size of the thumbcache file (Which was 1.5Gb before I found out how to work round it for dropbox)
Mind you my Laptop is an i7 with 12Gb Ram and the desktop is an i5 with 12Gb ram
AdrianBruce
Megastar

Post by AdrianBruce »

tatewise wrote:...
The tabbed pane of the Property Box has an icon on each tab. When the pane is too narrow to include all tabs, this icon wrongly appears to the right of the left/right arrows as shown circled in red above.
That's in my v6.0.4 - I think it started with v6. The icon doesn't do anything, i.e. it's not clickable. I get the 3 stacked rings(?) for the All tab.
Adrian
davidm_uk
Megastar

Post by davidm_uk »

johnmorrisoniom wrote:I have not had any delay issues with AS at all. The only other issue I have is with the size of the thumbcache file (Which was 1.5Gb before I found out how to work round it for dropbox)
Every so often I delete the thumbnail cache then allow FH to rebuild it the first time it starts. That clears out any obsolete entries (MM files that you've deleted, or moved to another project), as FH doesn't appear to do that itself.
David Miller - researching Miller, Hare, Walker, Bright (mostly Herts, Beds, Dorset and London)
LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig »

tatewise wrote:
The tabbed pane of the Property Box has an icon on each tab. When the pane is too narrow to include all tabs, this icon wrongly appears to the right of the left/right arrows as shown circled in red above.[/list]
I had assumed that the icon is intended to appear there, as a clue to which tab can be reached next by clicking the right arrow. However on reflection it is probably unintentional, because if there are several hidden tabs and they are revealed by successive clicks on the arrow the icon does not update accordingly: it remains as the icon for the first of the tabs which had been hidden, even after it is revealed. (In practice I would normally reveal the tabs by widening the Property Box to see them all at once, then the 'stray' icon disappears.)
Lorna
NickiP
Famous

Post by NickiP »

johnmorrisoniom wrote:I have not had any delay issues with AS at all. The only other issue I have is with the size of the thumbcache file (Which was 1.5Gb before I found out how to work round it for dropbox)
Mind you my Laptop is an i7 with 12Gb Ram and the desktop is an i5 with 12Gb ram
Might possibly be spec of laptop, although it is an i3 with 8gb of RAM which you would think should be sufficient.

The thumbcache file on the largest project is currently 404mb, I suppose it may be worth deleting and allowing FH to recreate to see if it improves the opening time on the largest project.
NickWalker
Megastar

Post by NickWalker »

NickiP wrote:I also found when I was using AS with the project that is 26k that when AS refreshed the list of Individuals under "Find Name" there was some quite considerable lag in it becoming usable again. I've chosen not to continue using AS, albeit mainly for other reasons.
Might possibly be spec of laptop, although it is an i3 with 8gb of RAM which you would think should be sufficient.
This thread isn't really for discussion of AS, so apologies to Simon, I'm happy to continue this discussion on the AS forums. I just tried AS with a 36,000 individual file and on my PC with an SSD I could begin to enter data (e.g. place, reference) within 2 seconds and select individuals in less than 5 seconds after loading the file and following a save could begin to create another entry after about 1 second. On my lower spec laptop I could enter data within 5 seconds and select individuals within 15 which I would consider to be acceptable considering the size of the file! Please also remember that AS is free (donations accepted) and developed in my very limited free time (I have a very full time job and young family), whereas FH is a commercial product!
Nick Walker
Ancestral Sources Developer

https://fhug.org.uk/kb/kb-article/ancestral-sources/
NickiP
Famous

Post by NickiP »

Nick, I was just curious whether John had experienced any delay issues. I'm not using AS, having decided for reasons I've posted previously on the forum its just as quick for me to enter the information manually. I wasn't being critical and I do appreciate you provide AS as a free add-on, it just seemed a useful time to enquire in light of John's posts about large files. As nobody else appears to be experiencing the time lag, there isn't much point me raising it on the AS section on the forum. For information I get 10-12 second delays before the Individual list is available to search on, this is either when opening the project in AS or when there has been an update causing a refresh. My laptop doesn't have an SSD, only a standard 7200rpm drive. I would of course expect it to be quicker with an SSD, but normally 7200rpm drives should be fairly quick. But as I said, as nobody else is experiencing the problem and I don't use AS regularly, there wasn't much point me raising it as an issue.
NickiP
Famous

Post by NickiP »

Thanks to John and David regarding the thumbcache, that has definitely speeded up the opening of my largest project. I shall just have to remember to delete the file again if it starts getting delays on opening. :D
paulf
Gold

Post by paulf »

I am sure there is a very simple answer to this but can't spot it.
Before I installed the 6.1.4 update each time I opened up my FH it opened in the overall project window with all projects listed.
Now when I open it opens with the last project I have been working on. Not too much trouble to get back to the overall project window by clicking on that on the toolbar but would like it to open there automatically. How?
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

In the Project Window, right-click on the default project and untick Set as Default Project.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)
paulf
Gold

Post by paulf »

Thanks, Peter but - where will I find the 'default project' tab to right click on? Have looked under all of the tabs (File, Edit, View, etc.) and can't see it.
NickiP
Famous

Post by NickiP »

Paul

Tools > Preferences > Startup

Remove the Project showing in the "Default Startup File" by deleting out the text.

Peter is refering to the Project Window which can be accessed via File > Project Window

Either way works

If you don't have a default project configured, the Project Window automatically appears on startup.
PeterR
Megastar

Post by PeterR »

Paul, I presume the Project Window (from the File menu option) lists all of your projects. One of them presumably is the current default project, indicated by a small green circle containing a white tick. That default project name is where you need to right click.
Peter Richmond (researching Richmond, Bulman, Martin, Driscoll, Baxter, Hall, Dales, Tyrer)