* Sorting names alphabetically; Norwegian special characters

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
torleiffh
Gold
Family Historian: V7

Sorting names alphabetically; Norwegian special characters

Post by torleiffh »

The sorting of names starting with the 3 last characters (æøå -ÆØÅ) in Norwegian is not 100% correct.
Names like "Aase" is not sorted together with "Åse".

This is not a problem in TMG, which also has correct sorting in Swedish and Danish.
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Sorting names alphabetically; Norwegian special characte

Post by tatewise »

Sorry, but FH has no understanding of any languages, so it always sorts purely on alphanumeric order.

(In Narrative Reports even its English is often poor. :D )

I suggest you report the issue to Calico Pie Support, but I doubt if anything can be done until FH has settings for choosing Languages.

Could you explain how TMG would cope with Individuals whose different names are Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, English, French, etc? So some would need Norwegian sorting, some Swedish/Danish sorting, while others in the same list would need English/French sorting.

BTW: Did the answer to your first posting in New Pre-release: 6.1.1 (13233) help at all?
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
torleiffh
Gold

Post by torleiffh »

Thanks for the answer, but "alphabetical order" is not the same in Norway, Sweden, Denmark and UK, not to mention German or Spanish.
TMG has a "Collate sequence" under Preferences where we can select NORDAN which is the sorting for Norway+Denmark.

I asked for plans to translate FH to other languages some two years ago, but there is still nothing happening.
In TMG I have been the translator to Norwegian for the last 10 years, the method was to export a table of words/sentences from FoxPro til Excel and the reimport the translated table.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You say "alphabetical order is not the same in Norway, Sweden, Denmark and UK, not to mention German or Spanish."
So how does TMG sort names in a single Project that are a mixture of Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, English, etc?

I presume you have seen the Calico Pie statement of intent by Simon Orde in Non-English sentences (12564)?
torleiffh
Gold

Post by torleiffh »

TMG sorts all names in the way the user wants, like Norwegian.

FH should look at this Unicode report:
http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr10/

"This report is the specification of the Unicode Collation Algorithm (UCA), which details how to compare two Unicode strings while remaining conformant to the requirements of the Unicode Standard. The UCA also supplies the Default Unicode Collation Element Table (DUCET) as the data specifying the default collation order for all Unicode characters."

Regarding translation I accept that FH is only in english on screeen and cannot take care of (a few tens ?) of users in Norway.
I will try to understand how to translate sentences to get 50-70-90% norwegian in reports. If at all possible.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I now understand that sort order should be from the perspective of the user, not the language of the text, and that is reiterated in the Unicode report. I suggest you forward that Unicode report reference to Calico Pie Support.

Regarding the customisation of Narrative Sentence Templates, see Non-English sentences (12564) that attempted a similar customisation for Dutch, but gave up when it became to complex.