* Web search templates

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Shelley
Platinum
Family Historian: V6.2

Web search templates

Post by Shelley »

Is it possible to create your own web search templates?

The web search bookmarks editor includes a template field. If anything is included in that field the bookmark is including among the "Search now" sites. However, I can't find any documentation about writing your own search templates and nothing I've tried entering in the field has had any effect, other than to include the bookmark on the "search now" list.

Thanks
Shelley
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Web search templates

Post by tatewise »

Shelley, ther are some clues in fhugdownloads:contents:extended_web_search_facility|> Utility ~ Extended Web Search Facility.

You need to make sure you have a backup of the the existing Standard.fhi file.
Then edit it with a plain text editor such as Windows Notepad.
For existing items you will see what each Template looks like.
It is the web search URL required for that web site with codes such as <<<givn>>> for Given Name and <<<last>>> for Surname, which produce the prompts in the Search the Internet window.
If you do not understand how to format that URL then the technique is probably too advanced for you to use effectively.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Shelley
Platinum
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Web search templates

Post by Shelley »

Thanks Mike, I'm up and running. Much appreciated.

For the benefit of others trying to do the same... in V6 you can safely add your own templates via the "More" button "Edit" in the "Search the internet" window. There is no need to edit the standard.fhi file manually.

The template codes corresponding to the four fields in the "Search details" sections are:
<<<givn>>>
<<<last>>>
<<<y1>>>
<<<y2>>>

All you need to do is drop them into the search URL you want at the appropriate spots.