* Windows 10

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Chris32
Gold
Family Historian: V5

Windows 10

Post by Chris32 »

Has anyone had any problem with their Family Historian (I have V5) when they have installed Windows 10
mjashby
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: Windows 10

Post by mjashby »

I can only answer directly for FH6 and that works with no problems (and has done on the last three Insider Preview Versions). Ancestral Sources also works with no problems. Can't see any reason why you would experience problems running FH5.

The upgrade process will report whether any of your hardware/software is considered incompatible and will recommend action prior to installation of the Win 10 Upgrade. You can also 'roll back' to Windows 7/8.1 during the first 30 days after the Upgrade as "Windows.old" installation and other required data files are retained on your C: Drive for that period of time unless, of course, you run the 'Disk Cleaner' utility to remove them or delete/overwrite them in some other way.

Mervyn
setait
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Post by setait »

I upgraded to Windows 10 in my laptop last night and am now having problems running FH6. Continually getting an error message about a missing, corrupt or wrong version of MSVCR100.dll. I have uninstalled and re-installed FH6
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

I think MSVCR100.DLL is a Microsoft Visual C++ file required by FH.

So try the fix at how_to:family_historian_installation_problems|> Family Historian Installation Problems under Error 126: DLL Maybe Missing, Corrupt or Wrong Version using version 10.0.40219 dated 2010.

You may need to uninstall the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 package before installing the download.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
mjashby
Megastar

Post by mjashby »

It seems that the very final post testing tweaks/updates to Windows 10 have 'broken' a number of applications that have worked flawlessly throughout the user testing period, right up to final release date on 29 July. Most of the reported problems seem to be linked to dependencies which have probably been altered for Microsoft's new Edge Browser; and possibly also due to late tweaks made to Internet Explorer 11. Changing the default from Browser from Edge to IE doesn't change the behaviour in these now 'incompatible' apps/functions because they still look for specific IE components.

Examples of breakages include:
- a major rival product to Family Historian, where the internal browser facility is now broken, necessitating a software update (Windows Registry Tweak); and
- embarrassingly, for Microsoft, the old but still functional (and still widely used) MS Money versions are all broken as they now throw up an error message demanding the installation of Internet Explorer 6, which of course doesn't work on 64-bit Windows installations, even if anyone was mad enough to try to install such an old browser version. There are several 'unofficial solutions' on the internet to counter that problem, but again a manual Registry Tweak is required which will put off many users.

I still haven't experienced any issues with FH6 or Ancestral Sources. FH's Internal Browser seems to be working O.K., but I don't use it that often so haven't tested intensely. Hopefully, the Win 10 Upgrade won't have made any critical changes to the Windows Registry that will impact on existing Plugins, but you never know until you try.

Mervyn
setait
Gold

Post by setait »

Well, following my initial question about MSVCR100.dll being missing, I un-installed and re-installed various C++ packages, the missing dll file and Family Historian in various combinations without success.

I eventually gave up and did a clean install of Windows 10 using the instructions at http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/software ... boot-media

I'm happy to report that Family Historian is now working again and I've also got an installation disk for Windows 10 out of the process.

Luckily all the problems were on my laptop, not the main PC which is still running Windows 7. However, I'm going on holiday back to Scotland at the end of the month and wanted to get FH running on the laptop so I could do some research & show the family trees to various family members.
jbtapscott
Megastar

Post by jbtapscott »

My dates and language settings were okay after the my 8.1 to Windows 10 upgrade on my laptop (they went to US on the Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade on my desktop computer), but the thing I found that affected FH was the Internet Data Matches.

I have not been a big user of this although I have "played" with it a few times. Post the upgrade to Win10, I found that MyHeritage opened the MyHeritage.gr site (I am currently in Greece), whereas before it always opened the "english" site (even when opened from Greece). I had to bring up the site in my browser (rather than opening within FH) and change the Language to English - a setting that I am assuming is saved in a cookies file so I will have to add that as an "exclusion" to my cookies cleaning application.

(BTW, and in answer to a comment made earlier, I found that MSMoney worked okay with IE11 installed - it did not need IE6)
Brent Tapscott ~ researching the Tapscott and Wallace family history
Tapscott & Wallace family tree
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

The main message is "Do not rush to upgrade to Windows 10."

You have until 29 July 2016 to make the switch, so let others find all the gremlins, and then when you install Windows 10 leave the PC on for a day or so, and restart it occasionally, to allow Windows Updates to fix the known problems.
steveflanuk
Diamond
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by steveflanuk »

I've had no problem (yet!) after upgrading. I have version 6 and updated to Windows 10 a couple of days ago.
AnneEast
Superstar

Post by AnneEast »

Ha! I'm still not even rushing to upgrade to FH6! I've been keeping an eye on how it all works for people. Hmmmm .... when I decide to jump, should I go for Windows 10 first or FH6 first? I have Windows 8.1 at the moment and have always been very happy with it.
Anne
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Anne, I would advise you update to FH V6 first, because the initial round of free updates ended with V6.0.4 back in March.
It fixes several known problems with FH V5 and adds several useful new features, so what is there to lose?

Wait a while longer before updating to Windows 10, because it is still very new, and although better than most earlier Windows major upgrades, it has gremlins for a small minority of users. After a few weeks or months those gremlins should be cured. You have a year to make up your mind, and then a month to revert back, but most newsletters suggest Win 10 is much better and faster than Win 8.1.

Do NOT trust the Get Windows 10 popup that says “You’re good to go!” and can run the install without loss.
BEWARE!
You need to check the Report for your PC, by clicking the Get Windows 10 icon in the Notification area.
If you have NOT reserved Windows 10 yet, then click on the link in the middle to the Report details.
If you have reserved Windows 10, then click the three bar 'hamburger' settings icon top left and choose Check your PC.

The report summarises Your PC hardware on the left, and Your apps & data software on the right.
If any software is incompatible, then click on the details link to get more information.
It is then up to you to decide how to resolve any incompatibilities.
AnneEast
Superstar

Post by AnneEast »

Thanks for the advice. I'll take care when I jump!
Anne
Rich Scats
Gold

Post by Rich Scats »

Just found a problem with FH V6 - I couldn't save anything - access denied & one project appeared to be corrupted.
I tried reinstalling but that didn't cure the problem.

On further thinking (could be dangerous!) I remember that the problem seemed similar to a problem with MS Outlook 2010.
So I went to the C:\Users\Richard\Documents\Family Historian Projects folder and using properties & securities I reset the home users permissions and all now seems ok.
Windows 10 does seem to run noticeably quicker and I believe in some cases might even use less memory.
Rich
cageywoolf
Silver

Post by cageywoolf »

I would support 'Tatewise's recommendation to wait a while. I am on the Insider 'Fast' link with a 'secondary' PC so I get updates quicker but less well tested. There are still, unsurprisingly, still inconsistencies and the must recent Cumulative Update was re-issued a few days later, presumably because of errors in the first issue. If you have 'secondary' PC and are prepared to tolerate a few mishaps then there is much to be said for 'playing' as sorting out the problems is highly educational! Similarly, and likely to upset Retailers who are advertising 'Windows 10 is Here' when selling Windows 8.1 machines with a free upgrade to Windows 10, I would suggest that, unless you really urgently need a new PC, you wait until pre-installed Windows 10 PCs are available... October/November at a guess. Not only will the manufacturers have done the testing by then, but there are fingerprint and facial recognition logon facilities within Windows 10 but often not on current PCs. All that said, I think Windows 10 will be a very worthwhile upgrade... but maybe not just yet.
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Rich, that file/folder permissions problem does not sound specific to FH.
I suspect it affects all C:\Users\Richard\Documents\ files/folders and all applications that try to access those files/folders.

Can you check my suspicions, and report back?
Rich Scats
Gold

Post by Rich Scats »

Mike as I can see Outlook 2010 & Family Historian appeared to be affected in this manner by Windows 10 I checked the properties of other programs and well running some of them.
I did have a different problem using Custodian 4 in that I had to do a quick reinstall as Windows 10 deleted part of the program but on reinstalling I haven't experienced any other problems.
DavidNewton
Superstar

Post by DavidNewton »

The permissions problem affects many things. I have had a failing add in to Thunderbird because it was unable to save a temporary file, Word documents which opened as Read Only (from my Documents folder) followed by access denied when I tried to save an altered copy. It is intensely irritating and from searching Windows forums fairly common. I do not know what the solution is but I have temporarily been running virtually all programs 'As Administrator' which seems to solve the problem with the addition of another UAC check.

Following up on the permissions problem: I took ownership of my Documents folder (why did I have to do that?) and all it's sub-folders and then granted full control to the Users group (a possibly dangerous strategy). This also didn't completely solve the problem and then I discovered that relocating your Documents folder to another drive meant that these permissions had to be applied in both the users folder and on the target drive because of the way that NTFS permissions work when you copy files to another drive.

Nightmare! and my wife is becoming tired of my ranting at the computer.

David
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

David, try the fix suggested in New Project from TMG (12826).
DavidNewton
Superstar

Post by DavidNewton »

I have tried a variety of options with setting permissions for Windows 10 and although I have not verified this it seems that permissions are being re-written on reboor t (or some time). For example, having set all the permissions for full control I started FH without 'as administrator' and the first attempt to save a change gave me the same access denied error that I got just after upgrading to Windows 10 and which lead me to running FH as administrator. Checking the security on the project folder I find that the permissions have changed back to read
DavidNewton
Superstar

Post by DavidNewton »

Continuing my previous post (I pressed submit accidentally)

the permissions for modifying and writing have been removed and a quick check suggests that this has happened throughout my documents folder.

At this point I am tired of trying to make Windows 10 work and I am going to choose one of the following

1. Run everything as an administrator and put up with the inconvenience until Microsoft fix this
2. Roll back to Windows 8.1, I still have a couple of weeks to make that decision.

Which one? I don't know.

David
ColeValleyGirl
Megastar

Post by ColeValleyGirl »

One thing to try (it seems to fix a multitude of Windows 10 sins) is:

Run Windows Powershell as administrator -- search the menu for Powershell, right click and run as administrator
In the window that opens type:

sfc /scannow

Have a coffee...

It might report that no problems were found, but worth a try. (It won't do any harm).
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

David, I think you have to apply the new permissions to the highest folder from which all nested folders inherit their permissions. Otherwise I suspect the inheritance takes over at some point and overrides your new settings.
DavidNewton
Superstar

Post by DavidNewton »

I didn't think to use the system file checker and I will give it a shot later. Regarding the permissions all of my working data is on a partition of a non-system drive and I took ownership of that partition and applied the permissions to that. My system is a bit complex (I am running 3 operating systems, Windows 10, Windows 8.1 & Ubuntu 14.04, in a triple boot) and that may be a contributing factor. It is feasible that there is interaction between the two windows OS.

My next solution effort is to do a clean install of Windows 10 and I am currentlly (and slowly) downloading it onto a USB stick. If I manage to get Win10 working properly then I will ditch Windows 8.1. Oddly, despite these problems, I like Windows 10 and I know I should have waited before installing it.

David
AnneEast
Superstar

Post by AnneEast »

Can I ask a stupid question of you clever computer people? What does 'run as administrator' mean? I have never come across it ... should I have? Is it something I have missed, or (more hopefully) something I have avoided?

I have a relatively new desk top computer with Windows 8 (upgraded to 8.1) loaded when I got it.

Anne
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Anne, Run as Administrator gives a program, and any subsidiary tasks, extra privileges that may overcome some restrictions. It is invoked by locating the program's executable file, then right-click on the file to obtain its context menu, and choose Run as Administrator. That only applies for one run of the program. To apply it permanently, choose Properties in the context menu, select the Compatibility tab, and tick the Run as Administrator option.