* Windows 10

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
rodit
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Windows 10

Post by rodit »

Having just been offered the chance (along with half the World, I guess) to upgrade to W10 (I am presently on W7), has anyone had the opportunity to try FH on a trial version of W10, and are there any advantages?

Thanks

Roger
cageywoolf
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

Re: Windows 10

Post by cageywoolf »

I have been 'playing' with the Preview versions of Windows 10 since last October. The latest Preview is 'nearly there' ; I think most people will welcome the update (even those who have to pay for it!) as it allows a lot of flexibility in the User Interface. You can set it up to be similar to Windows 7 or to Windows 8/8.1... you are probably aware of the 'Marmite' controversy over the changes Windows 8 made from Windows 7; ..some loved it, others hated it!

There is nothing specifically relating to FH; but it is generally more 'friendly' and seems a little faster. One facility that may be very useful to FH users is the Web Note provided by the new replacement for Internet Explorer - currently called Project Spartan and to be 'Edge' when published. This allows users to 'write on' a screen with mouse/stylus/touch and then print/save the annotated version - great if you are like me and can never remember what you were doing yesterday. Also the new search (Cortana) is very powerful - you can even talk to it to pose your question. NOT something that I personally find easy to get used to :) !
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

FH V6 is not supported on the Windows 10 Technical Preview but will be supported on the released Windows 10.

See FH V6 and Windows 10 (12446).

BTW: Spartan/Edge is not a total replacement for IE, which will still be there, and the IE rendering engine will be used by Spartan/Edge when necessary.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

Mike, FH does work with the latest TP for Windows 10 (10074), it's only the early ones it did not work with.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

OK, perhaps Calico Pie have updated FH v6.0.3 or v6.0.4 since their statement on 18 Mar 2015 in FH V6 and Windows 10 (12446) where they said it will not run.
Alternatively, Win10 Tech Preview has changed in way that allows FH to run.

Neverless, that does not mean that FH V6 is supported by Calico Pie in Win10 because their web site still only mentions Windows 8.1, 8, 7 & Vista.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
cageywoolf
Silver
Family Historian: V6.2

Post by cageywoolf »

This article may answer questions about Windows 10 that you never knew you had anyway...
http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10 ... TRE3e6936e
It is a bit 'nerdy' but that's life.

Since Windows 10 is still Work In Progress no one is going to claim compatibility yet. Build 10130 introduced some 'new' bugs as well as fixing some 'old' ones! The Release To Manufacture (RTM) has not yet been announced, so far as I know; clearly this will be prior to the July 29 publishing date to allow hardware/software producers to test the 'final' version before it is available Retail.

If anyone is interested, and has a 'spare' machine, the ISO (DVD) version of Build 10074 is a free download. I would advise against trying it on a 'vital' machine. Beware bugs!!
rodit
Famous

Post by rodit »

Thanks all for your comments. I'll probably lay off it for a while, until teething problems are sorted out.
I guess that W7 will be supported for some time to come, anyway.

Roger
davidm_uk
Megastar

Post by davidm_uk »

Although the upgrade from W7 (and W8...) to W10 is free for a year after initial release I for one will wait at least 6 months before upgrading while the "public" finishes MS' beta testing for them. :twisted:
David Miller - researching Miller, Hare, Walker, Bright (mostly Herts, Beds, Dorset and London)
davidm_uk
Megastar

Post by davidm_uk »

And here's a list of some of the things that will probably be missing from W10:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/microsoft ... 50389.html

although no doubt other things will crawl out of the woodwork over the next couple of months.
David Miller - researching Miller, Hare, Walker, Bright (mostly Herts, Beds, Dorset and London)