* Adding Relationships to Reports

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
rodit
Famous
Family Historian: V7

Adding Relationships to Reports

Post by rodit »

After some trial and error, I have come up with what I think is a format for a DVD which I can pass to immediate family. There is, however, one enhancement I would like to make, if possible.

It is to add the relationship of the individuals listed in the index to the Root person (each DVD is individual to each of my immediate family , using a 6 Generation Ancestor Outline, starting with that person. Clicking on one of those Ancestors then opens a Family Group).

What I am trying to achieve is a Family Group page with a Heading, for instance, "Family of Roger ANDREWS and Hannah ALLEN - Great Grandfather and Great Grandfathers Wife ", etc. or maybe "Husband: Roger ANDREWS - Great Grandfather" in the Heading 2 position, followed by "Wife: Hannah ALLEN - Great Grandfather's Wife"

I hope that this makes sense and is possible. I am aware that there is a Relationship Function but do not know how (or if) this can be incorporated into my quest.

Any help would be appreciated.

Roger

(I shall be paying one of my infrequent visits back to the UK in July and hope to be able to hand out the final results).
tatewise
Megastar

Re: Adding Relationships to Reports

Post by tatewise »

Yes, that or something similar should be possible.

You need to customise the Family Group Sheet via its Report > Options > Format tab.
Select the Heading called Record and click the Edit button.
Its default contents is {default} which displays the couples names.

Change the Heading Text to:

{default} are =Relationship(FileRoot(),%FAM.HUSB>%) and =Relationship(FileRoot(),%FAM.WIFE>%) of =FileRoot()

You may need to adjust the File Root person for each DVD.

Then the Heading will display like:

Family of Roger ANDREWS and Hannah ALLEN are great grandfather and great grandfather's wife of John ANDREWS

That works OK providing that the Family is a couple and are related to File Root person, otherwise you will get something like:

Family of Arnold FISH are and of John ANDREWS

This can be corrected, but needs a more sophisticated Heading Text expression.
Do you need to cater for that scenario?

I recommend you Save Report As > Custom Report Type to preserve the customisation.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
rodit
Famous

Post by rodit »

Mike

Thank you. That is exactly what I was looking for. Knowing the method has allowed me to do a similar thing with the Individual Summary Report which is used for unattached people on the same DVD.

Regards

Roger
:D
AncestorAddict
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Post by AncestorAddict »

Hi there

Sorry cannot help on this topic but need help! This what I also need to do but for individual reports. Could one of you kindly let me know the change I need to make to the heading text to achieve this? I will then try it on my "guinea pig" site before messing about with the real data!

Thank you
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

You need to customise the Individual Summary Report via its Report > Options > Format tab.
Select the Heading called Record and click the Edit button.
Its default contents is %INDI.NAME:ADORNED_FULL% (=LifeDates2()) which displays the full name and (life dates).

Change the Heading Text to:

%INDI.NAME:ADORNED_FULL% (=LifeDates2()) is =Relationship(FileRoot(),%INDI%) of =FileRoot()

Then the Heading will display like:

Roger ANDREWS (1800-1850) is great grandfather of John ANDREWS

That works OK providing that the Individual is related to File Root person, otherwise you will get something like:

Roger ANDREWS (1800-1850) is of John ANDREWS

This can be corrected, but needs a more sophisticated Heading Text expression.
Do you need to cater for that scenario?

One option is to make the whole relationship part conditional:
%INDI.NAME:ADORNED_FULL% (=LifeDates2())=TextIf(IsRelativeOf(FileRoot(),%INDI%),Text(" is " . Relationship(FileRoot(),%INDI%) . " of " . FileRoot()),)
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
AncestorAddict
Gold
Family Historian: V6

Post by AncestorAddict »

At this early stage in getting to know FH, I will always use myself as the "root" person, as the reports I am doing are for my own personal use. Thanks again for your help and I will give your advice a try!