* NARRATIVE REPORT FOR "ALL RELATIVES"

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
tatewise
Megastar
Family Historian: V7

Re: NARRATIVE REPORT FOR "ALL RELATIVES"

Post by tatewise »

I know you don't need it now, but the only way to get narrative into a Narrative Report is to use a Sentence Template, either by editing an existing Fact's Template or by creating a new Fact with its own Template.

In this case you would have to create a new custom Relationship Attribute using Tools > Work with Fact Types but in FH V5 the Template is not clever enough to automatically determine the relationship to root. So the Attribute value would have to be the relationship and would only work for one Root using a Template such as {individual} is John Smith's {value}.

FH V6 is able to use Functions so the Template becomes {individual} is {=FileRoot()}'s {=Relationship(FileRoot(),GetRecord(%FACT%))}.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Fruitbat
Platinum

Post by Fruitbat »

Thanks Mike. I'll have a tinker and see what comes out.
Eric Frith

Family Historian 7.0.0 on Windows 10
davidm_uk
Megastar

Post by davidm_uk »

Eric,

Once you have a "finished" report that you are happy with it would be nice to see a short excerpt from it in here, so that we can all see what can be achieved with your creativity. Maybe just show one quite ancient relative so that there are no confidentiality issues.

People can then ask some "how to" questions, which could add to the KB entry that Mike was thinking of producing.
David Miller - researching Miller, Hare, Walker, Bright (mostly Herts, Beds, Dorset and London)
Fruitbat
Platinum

Post by Fruitbat »

Mike - I've had a tinker and managed to create a new fact, "Relationship to Name of Root Person - ", with the template "{label} {value}". I can get the fixed text into the narrative of the report, but only by manually adding the new fact to each individual's properties, and the only way I can get the relationship to show is to manually input it in the properties section of each record.

The relationship to the file root is already shown in the standard focus window for each individual, so the calculation for relationship has already been done. Bearing in mind I'm using v5, is there any way of getting at that field, to add it to the template?

Thanks,

Eric
Eric Frith

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

No, not in V5 Narrative Report Templates..
The relationship calculation is performed by the =Relatioship() function, but functions are not allowed in V5 Templates. This was a Wish List request that has been implemented in V6, which gives narrative Templates similar capabilities to Diagram Text Schemes.

Other report types, such as the Individual Summary Report, do allow many fields to be customised with functions and thus can report relationships. This was another reason for also supporting functions in narrative Templates.
Fruitbat
Platinum

Post by Fruitbat »

Thanks Mike. I'll bear that in mind when I upgrade to v6.
Eric Frith

Fruitbat
Platinum

Post by Fruitbat »

David, I have a finished report but I'm not sure how to load images here.
Eric Frith

tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

Use the Windows 7 Snipping Tool or similar to create a JPG or PNG of a fragment of report, etc.

Then when posting message use the Upload attachment tab below edit box, and follow through the options.
Fruitbat
Platinum

Post by Fruitbat »

Providing I've got the hang of loading images here, this is what I've achieved so far...

I've selected half a dozen generations from 300 - 400 years ago, so there are no data protection issues.

The first image is part of the diagram, containing vital data, plus Record Id and relationship to the file root person, who is highlighted in yellow. It is formatted to read from left to right.

The second image shows the header and footer layout for the report, as it comes out of FH. Every page is the same.

The third image shows the adjusted layout, with improved spacing between the body text and the header and footer. It also shows the highlighting of the root record.

The fourth image shows the new front page, with a hyperlinked table of contents, with the line spacing increased for ease of reading.

The last image shows the Index at the back of the report, again with the line spacing increased. The Index is not hyperlinked, although I suspect, with an awful lot of work, it would be possible to create the links.

For ease of reference, the root record has been highlighted in the table of contents and the index
Images One and Two
Images One and Two
1.gif (53.56 KiB) Viewed 6797 times
Image Three
Image Three
2.gif (49.2 KiB) Viewed 6797 times
Images Four and Five
Images Four and Five
3.gif (72.07 KiB) Viewed 6797 times
Apart for the inclusion of relationships and a table of contents, the changes I've made are small and purely cosmetic.

The uploaded images are quite poor quality, because of the need to comply with the limit set on image sizes here, but hopefully you'll get the idea.
Eric Frith

Fruitbat
Platinum

Post by Fruitbat »

I also produced the report in Record Id order, the only difference in appearance is the addition of the Record Id at the start of the name header.
Record Id variation
Record Id variation
4.gif (55.81 KiB) Viewed 6797 times
Eric Frith