* V6 Delete Place Names

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile
davidm_uk
Megastar
Family Historian: V6.2

V6 Delete Place Names

Post by davidm_uk » 28 Jan 2015 11:43

Re Places, if I understand correctly, any unused places will get deleted the next time that you close then re open FH. However you need to make sure that it really is unused. In the Work with Places window use the scroll bar at the bottom to move to the right and check that the Used and Media columns are empty (hold down Alt while clicking on each column title, this will sort the column and bring any 0 entries to the top). If there is something other than 0 in either column you need to find out what that refers to and delete it (or re assign it to another place). Highlight the row and click the Where Used button to bring up a list.

Re unwanted individuals, in the individual records window just select the person and press the delete key on your keyboard.
David Miller - researching Miller, Hare, Walker, Bright (mostly Herts, Beds, Dorset and London)

jimlad68
Megastar

Re: PDF and Place data

Post by jimlad68 » 28 Jan 2015 11:54

re how I can delete places from this database?

Depends which places. There are now 2 types in FHv6 (but very closely related).

For the new style (with the geocoding) and displayed via the tab in Records, just select what you want (filer etc)
edit > add to named list.
then R mouse on the named list, delete listed records, etc.
However, if any of these places still had records with the same place, they will be recreated next time you close/start FH.

For the place records directly associated with records, I think you would have to go to each one individually (via Tools > work with data > select > where used, find the place in the recod and delete it.
I hope there is a quicker way, but then how often would you need it. however, for myself, I would edit the Gedcom file directly woth something like notepad++
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68

LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig » 28 Jan 2015 14:49

davidm_uk wrote:Re Places, if I understand correctly, any unused places will get deleted the next time that you close then re open FH.
That was the case in previous versions of FH but in V6 any unused places are retained in the file. This is in case you want to use them again in the future, and it saves you re-checking the geocoding and re-linking any media you already have for the place. If you want to delete a place completely, select it in the Places tab of the Records window and hit the delete key. (If you want to delete several at once, add them to a named list as Jim suggests.)
jimlad68 wrote:However, if any of these places still had records with the same place, they will be recreated next time you close/start FH.
No. Deleting a place record will remove it from the place field in any records which used it. It will not magically re-appear next time you open FH. I don't think it is correct to say there are "2 types" of Place in FH. There are place records, whose name can be entered in Place fields in other records. Any change to the name of a Place record, or deleting a Place record, carries through to all fields using it.
Lorna

jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 » 28 Jan 2015 20:14

Lorna,

I stand corrected:
jimlad68 wrote:
However, if any of these places still had records with the same place, they will be recreated next time you close/start FH.

No. Deleting a place record will remove it from the place field in any records which used it. It will not magically re-appear next time you open FH. I don't think it is correct to say there are "2 types" of Place in FH. There are place records, whose name can be entered in Place fields in other records. Any change to the name of a Place record, or deleting a Place record, carries through to all fields using it.
which is good news, as that makes PLACe management so much easier than I thought. I think I was looking back to when I amended some PLACe records in the Gedcom, in which case newstyle place records were created, and the original Place records stayed. As regards "2 types of Place in FH", it might be semantics as their are 2 ways of looking at them in FH and they are stored in 2 separate places in the Gedcom, once with the record, and again as a full list with geocode etc at the end of the Gedcom.
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68

LornaCraig
Megastar

Post by LornaCraig » 28 Jan 2015 20:50

I think I was looking back to when I amended some PLACe records in the Gedcom, in which case newstyle place records were created, and the original Place records stayed.
I guess what you mean is you amended the contents of some place fields in the Gedcom, which resulted in new Place records being created while the original Place records remained.

Yes, it's important to remember that although a change to a Place record carries through to all fields which use it, the reverse is not true. Changes to the contents of a single place field might result in the creation of a new Place record (if one did not already exist with that name) but will not affect the original Place record, other than reducing its 'used' count, and will not affect any other fields using the original place.
Lorna

Mike Cross
Family Historian: V6

Re: V6 Delete Place Names

Post by Mike Cross » 28 Jun 2020 16:48

This seems to work

Enlarge the place list window to ensure you can see the column headed "Used"
Click the "used" column heading to sort the list and scroll to the end where where the column contains "0"
Highlight the ones you want to remove using ctrl+click or click and shift+click
ctrl+click ONE other place that you want to RETAIN
You should now have all the places you want to delete plus the one you want to retain highlighted
Click the Merge button
scroll down the resulting list and highlight the place you want to retain
Click the Select button and complete the merge
all your unwanted places will have disappeared.