* database engine

Questions regarding use of any Version of Family Historian. Please ensure you have set your Version of Family Historian in your Profile. If your question fits in one of these subject-specific sub-forums, please ask it there.
Linda Reinfeld
Famous
Family Historian: V7

database engine

Post by Linda Reinfeld »

Hi - I am thinking of migrating from TMG to Family historian.

What database engine does the software use?

Thanks -

Linda Reinfeld
tatewise
Megastar

Re: database engine

Post by tatewise »

Welcome to the FHUG Linda.
The short answer is that, unlike TMG and several other genealogy products, FH does NOT use a separate proprietary database engine.

The slightly longer answer is that FH stores all its essential genealogy data in a plain text GEDCOM file that is 100% compliant with the GEDCOM 5.5 specification. It reads this file into internal records that FH manages itself, which makes it very fast, even on large databases with tens of thousands of Individuals. FH writes its internal records back to the GEDCOM file when it closes, and optionally at regular intervals such as every 5 minutes.
Mike Tate ~ researching the Tate and Scott family history ~ tatewise ancestry
Jane
Site Admin

Post by Jane »

It's worth mentioning if you are asking because of being able to search and filter your data Family Historian has a large set of tools built in for doing this including Queries and a full blown plugin language which can be used to search, update and much much more.
Jane
My Family History : My Photography "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."
Linda Reinfeld
Famous

Post by Linda Reinfeld »

Thanks so much for the helpful replies.

I was concerned about the database engine because of TMG being based on visual FoxPro, which is not supported.
Another software under consideration is based on visual basic, which is also not being supported.
I didn't really want to be left high and dry again!

Of course I don't really like the idea of Gedcom-based, but at least it's not going away.
And that brings up others questions, but for another time.
My trial period ran out - guess I'll have to pay my dues!

Thanks -

Linda
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

As a relative newcomer to FH, and planning to import from TMG, the following Wiki topics should be of immediate interest, but remember that other topics are a mine of information.
how_to:key_features_for_newcomers|> Key Features for Newcomers
how_to:import_from_tmg|> Import from The Master Genealogist (TMG)
plugins:index|> Family Historian Plugins (not supported in the free trial)
Langbard
Gold

Post by Langbard »

Hi Linda,

Like you I migrated from TMG. I haven't found the fact that FH uses Gedcom to be a problem at all. It seems very fast and responsive and I have been able to find all the filters I need. Also I have managed to write my own 'simple' plugin to provide me a list of people and show if I have found them in the various UK census. So far I am very pleased and glad that I moved to FH.

Pete
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

BTW: There is a Plugin and several Custom Queries by FHUG members to help with analysing Census records.
See Lookup Missing Census Facts Plugin.
See fhugdownloads:censusrecords|> Downloads and Links ~ Census Records (the Query:Individual selection).
tatewise
Megastar

Post by tatewise »

FH V6 has been announced for release on 9th Dec and advance orders and gift packs will soon be available.
Anyone who has purchased a full copy of V5 since October 15 can apply for a free upgrade to V6 when available (conditions apply). Please see http://www.family-historian.co.uk/apu6.
FH V6 includes a new Map Window to plot the location Place names, and supports Witnesses to Events.
jimlad68
Megastar

Post by jimlad68 »

Linda,

I too have come from TMG, fairly easy for me as I tried to use only "gedcom exportable" features in TMG. As there is now an official release date for FH6, it might be worth waiting for that to do your "final" import, especially as it will include witnesses and an updated TMG import routine, although you can have a play with V5 in the meantime to get the look and feel of it, and then a free upgrade to V6.

Portability was one of my main considerations, hence one of the reasons I liked FH and it's gedcom file structure. This is not just for the future if eventually FH should not be supported, but for current sharing, uploading etc. There is also a user written program that can convert the FH gedcom to make it fit better with other common applications. Gedcom might be an outdated standard, but its the best we got!
Jim Orrell - researching: see - but probably out of date https://gw.geneanet.org/jimlad68
Steven Monrad

Post by Steven Monrad »

dewilkinson
Superstar

Post by dewilkinson »

I migrated from TMG about 2 years ago and I think FH was the best choice. Whilst FH doesn't have a few features that TMG had, it has much more and I don't miss those features. You do have to get used a different way of working though, for example in TMG places/addresses are stored in a structured way, in FH they are held as a text string that you can structure by use of commas. Also, queries are not SQL based and you have to get your head round conceptual differences, but there is much in the Knowledge Base to help.

I found the direct import from TMG to be very effective with only a few modifications needed. If you have set up your own Facts in TMG you will need to check them out, I had to use the plugin Change Any Fact Tag in a few cases. This User group is very helpful and answered many queries I had when setting out with FH, I have no regrets switching to FH.
David Wilkinson researching Bowtle, Butcher, Edwards, Gillingham, Overett, Ransome, Simpson, and Wilkinson in East Anglia

Deterioration is contagious, and places are destroyed or renovated by the spirit of the people who go to them